Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hello from fairly new Kayak Fisherman from Roseville  (Read 1022 times)

RosevilleYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Hi guys & fellow Kayak Anglers!
my name is Lothar Metten (RosevilleYak) and my sons Boy Scouting got me into kayaking & fishing about a year ago.
So we went out and got a pair of SamsClub Fishing kayaks.

Now less than a year later that 400$ yak was replaced with nice Hobie Compass I really like.

Wife expects to to catch some yummy fish to eat to make up for that significant expense... but starts to make fun of me for showing pictures of dings I release. Caught less than a dozen fish since I started, but hooked and determined to learn this sport.
I hear Folsom Lake is more finesse and should try other waters. And once the boaters and waterski/jetski drivers are out the serenity will give way. Went to Lake Natomas last weekend but again got skunked. Anyone else getting tired of passers by asking 'Any bites?' while I desperately try to get them?

Enjoying my time on the lakes though... but hoping I will figure out to make the YouTube knowledge gained and significant expense into gear and lures at some point a bit more productive. (even got a real fishfinder after the IBobber... dont tell my wife)
Now that we hit spawn and warmer weather I definitely plan to go out as much as I can also trying the Delta and calmer rivers. Not ready for ocean/fast moving waters yet. Especially as I have made my trips solo this far not wanting to hold up any real Kayak Anglers.

Was somehow able to read some of the launch point posts and would like to ask and contribute as well. I don't mind driving an hour or so around Roseville to get to good place. Love to get to spots power boaters don't reach.
Hopefully this intro gets me there.

Lothar

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
welcome aboard.  I too am in Roseville and hope to get my first yak in a month or two.  The coves in the arms of Folsom can be productive.  South fork is well known and North Fork past Anderson Island and past Rattlesnake are good areas IMO.  I have not caught nor heard of anyone catching anything at Notama.  Up the road in Colfax is Rollins and it can be worth the trip.  I believe there is a tournamnet this month at Rollins.  Definitely worth checking out. :smt006
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome to the community, Lothar.  You've caught the fever and will catch a nice keeper soon enough.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

RosevilleYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
welcome aboard.  I too am in Roseville and hope to get my first yak in a month or two.  The coves in the arms of Folsom can be productive.  South fork is well known and North Fork past Anderson Island and past Rattlesnake are good areas IMO.  I have not caught nor heard of anyone catching anything at Notama.  Up the road in Colfax is Rollins and it can be worth the trip.  I believe there is a tournamnet this month at Rollins.  Definitely worth checking out. :smt006
Thank you!
Yes. Now that water levels are higher I like to launch from Rattlesnake bar and up north fork has been my most success last year. Just haven稚 caught anything this year yet.
Have been once at Rollins. Beautiful lake. Got a few smallie trout there. Looking forward to better weather and a bit warmer water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard Lothar  :smt006  Just a matter of time that you will catch a BIG lunker.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Rider

• Sea Lion
  • It's all about the experience
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Welcome Lothar,

I知 up on the Colfax area. I don稚 get out much but if your down to fish Rollins lakenonce it clears up I値l let you know when I知 heading out. I値l also help you get on thenfosh too.

Welcome To The Madness
#fuckyourfeelings #dontbeadick #whatadick

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Welcome to the madness. You've got a good setup there, and I'm sure you'll soon be pulling in all kinds of delicious keepers. If not, you can always stop by Costco on your way home...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017

Kaw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Hello Lothar,
Welcome to the forum.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

RosevilleYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome Lothar,

I知 up on the Colfax area. I don稚 get out much but if your down to fish Rollins lakenonce it clears up I値l let you know when I知 heading out. I値l also help you get on thenfosh too.

Welcome To The Madness

Thanks Rider,  sure could use some Kayak fishing live lesson ;-) 
Message me when you go.
Have been watching lots of 'Informative Fisherman' and Matt Allen YouYube fishing advice videos and have spent more money on large stack lures and pastic baits. But I am probably too impatient moving around a lot in my new 'boat'.
Caught some trout on Rollins Lake last year on my second rod which was just hanging of my kayak vs the actively casting.
Learning my lessons slowly.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Welcome, Lothar.  :smt006

Snipeworm

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Welcome! Another Roseville resident.  Hit me up next time your out looking for company.

T_Virus916

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Where did you get your Hobie Compass from? And did you pay retail?

RosevilleYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Got my Compass from Kayak City here near Sacramento/Roseville.
I actually purchased the model they displayed at the Sportman Expo at Cal State fairgrounds so got it 200$ off. Felt pretty good about that as it has never touched water.

I dont think there is much discounting going on for new Hobie's other than getting some OK deal with plenty upgrades which can get costly with Hobie's.

anything