Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Frank J. Miller Memorial Striper-Hali Day at Pt. San Pablo Yacht Harbor Aug 24  (Read 10930 times)

ElefantDude

• Sand Dab
  • Life Is Good!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Here I am talking to Ariel Sea before he zoomed off to Brothers and Beyond!
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante
Tight Lines ............ <'))))»•{
<o)))))><            <o)))))><

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ElefantDude

• Sand Dab
  • Life Is Good!
  • View Profile
And there off!!! :-) It was great to meet new anglers!! Being new to the salt water scene, it was a great experience :-) Thanks to all that provided tips and suggestions on rigging baits and such :-) Can't wait for more salty adventures!!!
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante

¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ElefantDude

• Sand Dab
  • Life Is Good!
  • View Profile
For those that know me on Facebook, you can view a ton more pictures that Christy Wilson and I took of this special event! Thanks to Michael, Jack and all those that helped in making this an awesome event. Long Live Captain Frank J. Miller :-)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:17:09 PM by ElefantDude »
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante

¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ElefantDude

• Sand Dab
  • Life Is Good!
  • View Profile
For those that missed the Memorial events and speeches, here are some links to videos I took of the event :-)

Here is Michael "Da Bruddah" Yamagata and his good friend, Janet King of the Native-American Health Center in Oakland, providing some history of the Port and area :-)

Here is a video of Michael "Da Bruddah" Yamagata singing the song he wrote this year and learned to play the guitar as well!!!

Here is a video of Mary Ann, Captain Frank J. Miller's younger sister, who drove up from Pismo Beach for this event. It was a pleasure talking to her and hearing about the life they lived with her brother and growing up in the Bay Area :-)

Here is a video of Captain Frank J. Miller's daughter, Danielle and her kids, including Noah, who did an awesome job loading live anchovies for us, from their boat, "The Fury"  :-)

Here is a video of Jack announcing the Fishing Winners and Special Guest, Howdy?, from Finland who is now a Ferry Captain :-)

Enjoy!!!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:36:41 PM by ElefantDude »
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante

¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
August 26, 2018

Mahalo nui loa, Arigato gozaimasu,

I am grateful for a hugely successful 3rd Hali-Striper Day at the Pt. San Pablo Harbor and the 1st Frank J. Miller Memorial Hali-Striper Day. 52 people signed up as kayak anglers and 47 made it out on the water. Also present were Frank’s oldest daughter Danielle and her 2 kids Noah 10yo and Trinity 16yo and sister Mary Ann Grant. You might have met Noah dishing up live bait next to the Fury. Trinity and Danielle helped made the great Bakesale Betty Cole Slaw and helped me prep for the dinner. Noah is only 10 years old and ended up hooking 4 stripers off the back of the Fury the last one was big enough to break the braided line!!I I think his Grandpa Frank was watching over him!! Great kid!!!
Before going any further I want to thank the owners of the Pt. San Pablo Harbor, Rob, Daryl and the other co-owners whom I don’t know by name for opening up the Harbor to the NCKA Community and to honor the passing of a great Bay charter Captain Frank J. Miller, who left us too soon this January 5th. Special thanks to the Harbor staff Robert Edney, Bobby and Harbor grounds crew who put on a heroic effort and erected a 1st class kayak launching ramp with a floating platform in an amazing 2 days before the event!! Thank you, guys, for busting your asses with heavy machinery, welding, metal fabricating to make it possible for our guys and gals to launch their kayaks from the parking lot area!!! The owners made it possible for the campers had access to the restrooms, showers, clubhouse kitchen for 24 hours and we were able to use the great Clubhouse space that included a great bar staffed with Harbor resident bartenders. They were busy pouring East Brothers Beer Company from Richmond, CA, kegs of Bo Pils and Red IPA; some of the best beer in the East Bay, which was the perfect compliment to the grilled oysters!!! I also want to thank the following people for their contributions to this event: Janet King, from the Native-American Health Center in Oakland, CA for her Opening Dedication to honor the original natives of the area and her personal blessing from the Native-American community. My nephew Jason Yamagata for standing at the grill for over 3 hours straight and grilling some 20 dozen WA State BBQ fresh oysters with his home-made ponzu sauce, grilled mini organic sweet and shishito peppers, made 25#’s of Teriyaki chicken for the kids and non-pork eaters. If you were on the deck eating oysters, Jason was grilling them for you!! Marvin Lau, for letting me use his Native Sons BBQ membership so that I could purchase the live oysters for the event at a restaurant wholesale warehouse in Oakland. Thanks Marvin, I’m glad that you could come by even for a short time!!!! Jack Johnson and Anthony Ancheta for picking up the live anchovies in the Fury from SF and to Jack for grilling the 100# pig that was 3 hours late for dinner. What were you guys doing out there?? Hans Raag and his Strange Angels, hardcore East Bay, rock n’roll/blues band for cranking out that great music all night long!!!Cam Huong Restaurant in Oakland for their great Vietnamese Chicken Chow Mein!!

Mahalo to all from the NCKA Ohana/Community who attended the event and to the following NCKA fisherman for hauling up some big Hali’s:
1st place: Jared Alchoncher (Sickmanofasia) -  17.58 lb. Hali
2nd Place: Dave (HobieDave) Royston - 10.18 lb. Hali
3rd-Sean Albright (Fishboundsa) - 8.97 lb. Hali
4th Dustin Vorkoeper (Yaknchef) - 8.7 lb. Hali
5th Jimmy (JDR1234) - 5.09 lb. Hali
6th FishnRod - 5.42 lb. Hali

Thanks to Danielle Miller for her gift of $100 gift cards to Jared and Hobie Dave.
If you would like to personally thank the Pt. San Pablo Harbor owners, you can write to:
Daryl Henline   email address: daryl@pspharbor.com
I want to encourage the other attendees to post you pics. I was too busy to take any!!!
Mahalo nui loa, Thanks very much in Hawaiian

Michael da Bruddah

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:30:43 PM by Da Bruddah »
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

Big nick

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Just wanted to say thank you to Michael for putting on a great event (and everyone else involved) and Jack for passing out the live bait at the crack of dawn. 

This was my first NCKA event/meetup but it won't be my last.  Caught my first Halibut and a handful of rockfish. 

Everyone I spoke with on the water was great, definitely an awesome community. 

-Side note, I can't offer any advice on Ocean/Bay fishing but anyone that wants to get into bass fishing or duck hunting feel free PM me, I'd be happy to share my limited knowledge or show you a few spots. 

Cheers!

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Really nice event Michael!  Thanks to you and the yacht harbor for hosting it, I’ll be back next year.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Congratulations michael on a well organized event. I was able to make the festivities but not the fishing. Great tribute to
Capt. Frank J. Miller. It seems he was a very special person to the harbor. I know he would be moved by such a great event that honored his life and memory.  :smt001 :smt001-- TLA
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Michael and everyone who participated - way to go!  I so wish I could've attended and will plan to next year.  It's obvious in reading the reports that the spirit of NCKA was alive and thriving at the FJMMS-H Day.  Reading accounts of the brotherhood, the feast, the tribute and the fishing makes me very proud to be a part of this community.  Well done.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Michael, thanks so much for spearheading this. Sara and I had a great time. It's such a gorgeous place...some day I hope to take a fish out of its waters!
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Great now I know why the grill guy looked familiar and that Cam Hung is still in business and making some good chow mien!

Missed the weigh in, what was the length of Jared's fish?

Here's the only picture I got it's of the pig just before it disappeared back to the grill, had to leave before it's second appearance.... fudge.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:45:55 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

Hobie-Dave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Thank you Michael, Jack and the whole Pt. San Pablo Yacht Harbor community for hosting an incredible kayak fishing event. The Frank Miller tribute was very heartfelt and well represented. Pam and I had never been there before, so last Wednesday we came to check out the road and facilities. We had lunch at the Nobilis restaurant, must say, the oyster po boy sandwich, was awesome, no key lime pie that day, but sure did enjoy one, on Friday. Raydon and our, RV were both welcomed and given prime parking. I checked out the dock Wednesday, didn't look at all ready, like it was on Friday, once again impressed. it's been a while since I've launch from a dock, was nice to once again, be dry from days start to finish. The oysters Jason grilled topped with a tasty sauce, grilled peppers, chow mein and eventually the pork, all were really good. We enjoyed the beats, the band put out, Raydon and Nelly showed us how dancing is done. Oh by the way, the fishing was fun and productive too...Nice picture on page 5, taken by ElefantDude.

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Aloha NCKA Bruddahs and Sistah,

Wanted to share this great picture of Jared Alchoncher and his 18# Hali that he hauled at last weekend!! Jared’s paternal grandfather is from Hilo, HI and Jared went to U of Hawaii Hilo. We grew up 16 miles North of Hilo in a small but vibrant multicultural sugar plantation community with Japanese, Filipino, Portuguese and Native-Hawaiian neighbors. My brothers and sisters were lucky to have lived with so many kind and generous neighbors!!
This great picture took in front of the Pt.San Pablo Harbor looks like Jared is in Hawaii, but there’s no Halibut there.
Aloha,
Michael da Bruddah
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Did I miss this one again?  Kevin, drop a brotha a PM/call/Vf 68... I’m ready for this... Wanna honor ol Frank “The Shark” Miller! Happy