Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:53:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stinson Beach launch  (Read 2735 times)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Anybody have any advice on a launch spot from Stinson Beach? 

I saw a parking lot at the end of Marine Way (near The Siren Canteen).  Anybody ever tried to launch from there?

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
That whole area seems doable as any other beach.its better if you park closer to the bathrooms it's a straighter walk.the last few weeks the waves seems doable.but there is a curfew so check the time the parking lot opening.also the siren has pretty good food also.
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Theres some private streets that back up close to the water that you could do a quick unload at and then park on Del Arroyo (the main street). This would avoid paying and curfew. You just have to arrive early enough to find parking on Del Arroyo

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
Theres some private streets that back up close to the water that you could do a quick unload at and then park on Del Arroyo (the main street). This would avoid paying and curfew. You just have to arrive early enough to find parking on Del Arroyo

Thanks, man!

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
A couple of caveats for Stinson

1) The lifeguard supervisor(if it's still the same guy) doesn't allow kayaks to launch, will send you a little way up the beach out of his jurisdiction. Not a far walk

Best area as far as the break is south end of the beach so maybe can avoid encountering him. The regular lifeguards are cool about it

2) If swell of any size rolls in while you're out it morphs into a brutal landing, so watch swell predictions

I launched reasonable break one morning, came back in afternoon to relentless overhead with zero openings, paddled up and down Stinson until after dark, landed blind just hearing the break and sheer luck ten o'clock at night. Kneeled and kissed the sand like a teenager in love

Coast Guard was out looking for me w boats plus one big and two small helicopters flying formation with searchlights. Lifeguard supe was pulling out the zodiac to launch and join the search when I straggled up the beach

Not a nice place to get caught out

Will be interested to know about alternate parking at south end if you figure it out

It's a good launch to hit rocky pt and Dux from

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
A couple of caveats for Stinson

1) The lifeguard supervisor(if it's still the same guy) doesn't allow kayaks to launch, will send you a little way up the beach out of his jurisdiction. Not a far walk

Best area as far as the break is south end of the beach so maybe can avoid encountering him. The regular lifeguards are cool about it

2) If swell of any size rolls in while you're out it morphs into a brutal landing, so watch swell predictions

I launched reasonable break one morning, came back in afternoon to relentless overhead with zero openings, paddled up and down Stinson until after dark, landed blind just hearing the break and sheer luck ten o'clock at night. Kneeled and kissed the sand like a teenager in love

Coast Guard was out looking for me w boats plus one big and two small helicopters flying formation with searchlights. Lifeguard supe was pulling out the zodiac to launch and join the search when I straggled up the beach

Not a nice place to get caught out

Will be interested to know about alternate parking at south end if you figure it out

It's a good launch to hit rocky pt and Dux from

Thanks for the advice!  I've put out the idea of a Stinson launch for now for two main reasons 1) Parking lots are not open until 9am and 2) Risk of swells.  But if I do find out more, I will post.

The coast guard event sounded like a harrowing experience. 'must've been pretty bad for you to go all the way to 10pm to try land, though you definitely get a thumbs up on commitment.   'glad all was OK.

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
There was also pretty dramatic lightning storm happening, made for a pretty scene w the big helicopter spotlights

Not being modest here but I was caught out from sheer stupidity, I should have landed Muir and hitchhiked up to Stinson for my car

Stinson is a great launch

It's pretty exposed break but when it's reasonable size I actually like it better than Bolinas

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Not being modest here but I was caught out from sheer stupidity, I should have landed Muir and hitchhiked up to Stinson for my car

+1 always have a backup landing site in case condition gets bad.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
There's a little rocky beach right behind the birdshit rock to the south that's good for if you just need a rest

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
There's a little rocky beach right behind the birdshit rock to the south that's good for if you just need a rest
From there you can hike up to the road but you would have to leave your yak behind.
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

anything