Kayak Fishing Zone > Safety First

Fish Spine Infection (with pics)

(1/6) > >>

TheKeeneroo:
I recently read Nowhereman's "is there a doctor in the house" post (p.s. I hope you've seen a doc/ER by now). Wanted to share my good buddy's story that happened over memorial day weekend while we were diving Big Sur.

We were cleaning fish on day 2 and he lazily threw a carcass at which point the dorsal spine came around and pricked him in the arm. Not bad at all, small pin prick with about 1 second of bleeding. Wiped it down with Neosporin (I can't recall if he used soap first - I think he did). It was just a small bump with redness, like you'd expect. By day 3 he developed small blisters and rash on his forearm, stomach, leg, neck and face. He went to urgent care. They gave him the wrong mix of antibiotics and tetanus shot which caused an even worse reaction by day 4 and 5 (see pictures). He went to ER and they pumped him full of stuff: Steroid shot, antihistamine, steroid pill, etc. It appears to be contained and going away finally after a week.

Just a reminder to play it extra safe. Glad my buddy is doing better and hope to hear good news for NoWhereMan soon.

Cabeza de Martillo:
yikes! no bueno  :smt009

Glad it's under control

yatzmail@yahoo.com:
Eew thanks for sharing this

Sin Coast:
Whoa, gnarly!

ApneaAddict:
I believe he may have been misdiagnosed. Looks spot on for poison oak rash based on my painfully extensive personal experience with the stuff. Big Sur is loaded with poison oak and the rash typically takes 48-72 hours after exposure to develop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version