Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Salmon/halibut reel  (Read 7666 times)

RichR

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
A while ago, Bill posted a topic on a good mooching rod for salmon.  Now I'm looking for a reel to go with the rod.  I will be fishing with bait for salmon and halibut.  Star drag or lever drag?  I'd like to keep it under $150.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Personally I like Abu Garcia reels, they are really cheap and with a Alan Tani drag upgrade they are super smooth. You can get a 6600 for around $65.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
If you do a search, you'll find a few threads about the merits of various types of reels and people's preferences for various brands / models.  

I like the Abu C3's and the Shimano TR100's... both great values in the 50 - 60  dollar range.  Both work best with upgraded drags ala Alan Tani.  Both are bullet-proof and easy to get parts for if they need them.  

A great looking reel in the $130 range from Diawa that you might check into is the Coastal Inshore casting reel (CL153H)...it's a low profile baitcaster that holds 120 yards of 14# test and is designed specifically for the rigors of saltwater fishing.  Looks pretty dang nice to me... especially if you want to keep your rig light.  Looks pretty sweet!

http://tackledirect.com/daiwa-coastal-inshore-reel.html
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
My vote is for either an abu 6500 or the smaller 5500 series (with Alan T's upgrade) or a Calcutta (250 or 400).  Both come in level wind.  Can't go wrong with either, though the calcutta is a little smoother.  If you've got a few extra bucks, I'd go with the calcutta.  

Also, I reccomend against a lever drag for mooching.  Its a pain to engage and disengage the drag.  Whereas, both the abu and calcutta have the similar "quick thumb" free spool and a simple crank engages the reel.  Much easier if you are constantly working the  bait up and down while mooching and MUCH easier to suddenly go to free spool.  

Using a lever drag reel, I pretty much have to use 2 hands to go into free spool.  Right thumb on the spool, left hand to pull back the lever.  

Stuart

jellyfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
You should try a penn 525 thats what I have used for every thing.With 20 pound test. :fish  :smt001

Andrew

A heads up regarding Pennn - I've had trouble lately with my Penn Spinning reel and have had it repaired twice, and it keeps breaking in the same spot (the bale). I now have little faith in their repair department, and next time I buy a reel, it will be Abu Garcia or Shimano...

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
IMO: Abu's are nice and cheap...but if you want something that will last = go Calcutta  :worship  :worship  :worship. Expensive but all worth it at the end  :smt023

I believe John/jdyak has a calcutta he bought back in '94....and it still reels in the big ones  :smt023

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Joe

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I guess I don't know how to add a link?
Joe

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
IMO a line counter is were its at for mooching.  You can shoot right down to were the bait is then work your bait up and down 10 or 15 feet in each direction.  I would go with either the diawa sealine witch is under $100 or the shamano tekota 500lc witch is more money but you get an aluminum frame.  You can add a linecounter to an ambusaduer but its like $50 and at that point you should have just baught a linecounter.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Okuma Magda Pro, line counter reel, was my new big item this season.  Needs lubricating after each trip but a real pleasure.  Knowing the depth of my lure has added to the value of having a fishfinder IMO.

Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

RichR

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Thanks you guys/gals!  The info is much appreciated.  I haven't picked up a reel yet but I hope to make a selection before the season is over.   Pat, what size Okuma did you go with?
Rich

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
Anybody tried an Avet SX ?
14.8 ounces and made in the US
220 yards of 20lb, lever drag
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Rich,

I have the 30DX.  Holds 300yards of 25# fancy P-Line.  I can't cast with it, but for ling hunts and trolling it is a delight.

Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: mickfish
Anybody tried an Avet SX ?
14.8 ounces and made in the US
220 yards of 20lb, lever drag

I almost bought one, but the lever drag seems sticky...  It seems to jump from little drag to almost full.  I went with the Pro Gear CS550, but wished I would have got the small 500.