Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What does your salmon setup look like  (Read 12633 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great post basilkies! That is going to really help me my first time out for Salmon!

Kokayak

• Salmon
  • View Profile http://kratvillephoto.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
Someone mentioned that dogder/flashers give too much drag. Has anybody tried something like these:

http://www.seps.com/Products/mini_micro_flashers.htm

They are designed for kokanee fishing with ultralight gear. I would think it could give you some of the benefits of flashers but not all the drag of the larger ones made to be towed behind boats.
And you could hear me screaming a mile away as I was headed out for the door....

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Davkrat,

I just checked out the link and those flashers are the inline blades (similar to cow bells, ford fenders, etc) that don't add movement to the bait/lure.

For salmon, dodgers and flashers refer to an object that give quite a bit of movement to the bait/lure.

Here is a link that shows the physical difference between a dodger and the various types of flashers, alsong with the functional differences.

http://www.luhrjensen.com/techreports/13DodgersFlashers.pdf

The one on top is a dodger, middle is an Abe and Al type Flasher and the bottom one is a Hot Spot type Flasher.  Flashers/dodgers vary in size, but all things being equal, a flasher will generate more drag.  For kayak trolling, you don't want to be using a flasher.  

It creates a LOT of drag.  If you wanted to use it, you'd need more weight to get it down to the same depth had you not used one.

Stuart

Kokayak

• Salmon
Has anybody tried one of these:

http://www.luhrjensen.com/prod_lure_select.cfm?Stock=5540&CategoryID=12&ProductNo=5540-010-0086

I like having things that do double duty. It sounds like these might be pretty good for use on the river. How deep are you guys usually trying to get for salmon in the ocean?I'm sure it's dependent on the area but is it often more than 50'? It seems like the 30' deep model could easily be adjusted by length of line to fish 10' for use in rivers and maybe the Bay and run out farther to get down to 30'. On the technical chart it looks like 50' out = 10', 75' = 20' and 100' = 30'. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Lastly, everyone seems to like the longer 8'6" or so rods for mooching. Do you use this same rod for trolling as well or do you use something more like a 7' rod that you would use for jigging? Thanks
And you could hear me screaming a mile away as I was headed out for the door....

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Lastly, everyone seems to like the longer 8'6" or so rods for mooching. Do you use this same rod for trolling as well or do you use something more like a 7' rod that you would use for jigging? Thanks

IMO: for trolling or mooching, I go with the same lenght - 7 to 8 ft. It's easier to clear the bow with a longer rod when fighting fish like salmon and stripers. Unlike rockfish and halibut, Salmon and stripers tend to run all over the place when hooked.

just my 2 cents....

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Davkrat,
That looks similar to other diving planes.  It would work fine on ocean, and probably on the river.

I use different rods for mooching and trolling and usually bring both of them out if I intend to troll.  Mooch can use the same rod because he doesn’t use as much weight as I do on his trolling set up.

My trolling rod is about 7 feet, using a 1 or 2lb ball.  BTW, I use the same rod for rockfish (metal jigs).  Based on my rod holder set up, a shorter rod keeps the line closer to the centerline, which makes it easier to paddle straight (no rudder).

There’s one more benefit of having separate rods.  When I’m trolling and run into bait, I can stop and drop down the mooching rod.  I don’t have to waste time, changing leaders, etc.  Its very easy to switch back and forth (trolling/mooching) with separate rods.

When fishing Monterey Bay, I typically find myself trolling out, resting (mooching), then paddling (trolling) again to get further out to the fishing grounds to eventually mooch.
IMO, mooching is MUCH more fun than trolling.  Its very interactive, you get to “play” with the fish before its hooked and you get to fight them on lighter gear.

Stuart

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Those diving planes are very popular in the rivers.  I 've never seen one used in the salt, but there's probably no reason why it wouldn't work.  However they seem to have a limit of 40' depending on the size.

-Allen

Kokayak

• Salmon
Allen,
That's what I'm curious about. Is 40'-50' a serious limitation? How often do you troll deeper than that? It seems that you can troll around looking for bait and then mooch. If the bait's deep than mooching can reach it. I've never trolled for salmon so I don't have any experience. On average when you troll do you go much deeper than 50'? Thanks