Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tail hook for long swimbaits  (Read 4032 times)

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Here again is the link that David found which showed how to add at tail hook or "trap hook" to long swimbaits.  The tail hook is connected directly to the main hook itself using a small piece of spectra... http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/trap-rig-kettler_01.htm

Here's my version of the tail hook which uses 25# mono which is easier to tie and more abrasion resistant than spectra.  Also, rather than tying to the main hook, I attached to the eye of the jig head.  This way should be stronger with  no chance of a heavy fish bending the main hook straight.

Besides catching more fish, this setup should also prevent them from biting off the tails.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
ChuckE, those look good!  

after doing this myself, I'm not sure it is really worth it, but it sure is fun.
The big fish I caught were hooked on the main hook, and as p-spark notes, it's mainly dinks on the trap (but not always!).

here's my comments from one guy that likes goofing with lures to another:

1. from brendan, I learned to cut off some of the front of the swimbait so that the height of the leading edge lines up with the head of the jig. does it matter? not sure, but it puts the hook closer to the tail and definitely makes the outline of the lure more even and fishlike.

2. the spectra I used was real limp. I think the action will be better this way than with heavier mono.

3. with the line going in and out like that, the tail hit could pull the line through the bait, cutting it and still trashing it. If the line is threaded
straight it won't cut the tail when pulled.

4. yeah, my hook did get bent pretty good when a fish hit the tail hook, so
going to the eye might be better, but that makes it harder to thread straight, so I am going to continue connecting to the hook.

5. It sure is fun customizing lures!
john m. airey

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Thanks, Jmairey!  All your points make perfect sense.... especially...
I learned to cut off some of the front of the swimbait so that the height of the leading edge lines up with the head of the jig. does it matter? not sure, but it puts the hook closer to the tail and definitely makes the outline of the lure more even and fishlike.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
1. from brendan, I learned to cut off some of the front of the swimbait so that the height of the leading edge lines up with the head of the jig. does it matter? not sure, but it puts the hook closer to the tail and definitely makes the outline of the lure more even and fishlike.

I do that when I used to fish with the scampi (rootbeer & green were my best colors) Now I fish mainly with irons (I took Stu's advise) and I modify it by replacing the treble hooks with single bucktail hooks. It's been working for me so far  :smt023

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Those irons do work well and sure are efficient, but I feel frustrated with only being able to change a hook! I think all the really experienced guys (like art and yourself and stuart) end up on iron because it's hard to argue with the efficiency of it.

I read in kovach book that he will repaint old irons, or use permanent marker to mark them. so I guess if one lasts long enough to get scratched up before it is lost, we can try that.

Mooch, have you ever used a lure-jehnsen "stinger". I have a lot of respect for these 'baja catch' guys kirra and kelly.

see this:

http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/luhrj/luhrj.htm
john m. airey

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
never used the stinger but it looks similar to the candle fish:
http://www.gofishin.com/index.cgi?cart_id=14244.26416&asid=78969&mgf=0100000000&show_details=52121&cat=203&keywords=candlefish&sort=&tb=&hmn=&sw=

I've been experimenting with different shapes and sizes with the irons and I find that the long & skinny Irons (like the stinger or the candle fish) seem to do better....and the bucktail hook adds a little "dance" to it when you're jigging it  :kick

just from my observations....

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
If you want to make your iron "bullet-proof" coat it with Dev-Con 2 ton epoxy. You can paint it, draw on it, put stickers on it, whatever then coat it with the Dev-con. You have to keep the iron moving until the Dev-con sets up, about 30 minutes. If you are just doing one hand rotating it is fine, otherwise a rotisserie thingy works great.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Those irons do work well and sure are efficient, but I feel frustrated with only being able to change a hook! I think all the really experienced guys (like art and yourself and stuart) end up on iron because it's hard to argue with the efficiency of it.
I always go with irons as my first choice too... especially when fishing waters over 60 feet deep. And as for the color of irons.... the brighter the better for me... so the typical chrome fish is just fine.

If I'm in the mood to do some customization to an iron, I'll add a small hoochie, bucktail, or spinner blade to the hook.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
If you want to make your iron "bullet-proof" coat it with Dev-Con 2 ton epoxy.
I've seen some of Bill's clear epoxy coated lures.  Their bomb-proof! :smt023

Bill... what do you use to thin the epoxy and how do you prevent the tiny bubbles?

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Mooch, have you ever used a lure-jehnsen "stinger". I have a lot of respect for these 'baja catch' guys kirra and kelly. see this: http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/luhrj/luhrj.htm
I took a look at the link above and saw the following note near the bottom of the page.  (I agree have to agree!) :smt023

*Stingers and Krocodiles are chrome overall. Some may have green (shown) or blue partial overlays. This variation has no effect on the fishing. If desired, these lures may be painted a pure flat white, or white-plus-blue, which are the other two best colors for Mexican saltwater fishing.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Quote from: ChuckE
If you want to make your iron "bullet-proof" coat it with Dev-Con 2 ton epoxy.
I've seen some of Bill's clear epoxy coated lures.  Their bomb-proof! :smt023

Bill... what do you use to thin the epoxy and how do you prevent the tiny bubbles?

I don't thin it, I just paint it on. If you wanted to thin it out use a little Acetone. To remove bubbles hit it with a little torch and they should pop.

srm

Quote from: ChuckE
Here again is the link that David found which showed how to add at tail hook or "trap hook" to long swimbaits.  The tail hook is connected directly to the main hook itself using a small piece of spectra... http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/trap-rig-kettler_01.htm

Here's my version of the tail hook which uses 25# mono which is easier to tie and more abrasion resistant than spectra.  Also, rather than tying to the main hook, I attached to the eye of the jig head.  This way should be stronger with  no chance of a heavy fish bending the main hook straight.

Besides catching more fish, this setup should also prevent them from biting off the tails.

OK, say I use this rig for rockfish...would that count as my second hook?  Or, could I have another one up above.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
not 100% sure, but I'm pretty you can fish another bait/lure.

IMO, that's one lure(bait) with 2 hooks.  Just like the single/treble combo for live bait butts or the two treble hooks on a rapala/rebel/etc.

Stuart