Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 12:42:05 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Handheld VHF Radios  (Read 5384 times)

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: TreeDoc
If you're looking for a serious piece of equipment that's built to last don't overlook the Voyager.

Some advice for the Voyager (from my own experience).

Plug the microphone port with marine silicone if you don't intend to use it.   This port is an easy path for water to intrude into the radio.  Also, use some silicone grease and lube up the knobs well.  Pull the knobs off and lube the mechanism... then put the knobs back on.  With a little salt residue in that mechanism, it becomes very difficult to turn just one or the other of the knobs without using two hands.

I've had my Voyager for a couple of years.  It died on me once... basically the volume/squelch knob assembly stopped working.  I sent it back and it was repaired for no charge under warranty.  

Also... before I plugged the microphone port with silicone, I had the radio submerged for several minutes when getting slammed coming into the beach at linda mar.  It stopped working for me for a few weeks.  Once everything dried out... it worked fine again.   But lesson learned... it is not immune to water intrusion.  If you plan on taking a swim (accidentally or otherwise) put it below deck or get a bag for it.

Otherwise it's a good radio.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
she went in to boat r us theay match the west marine price off the internet
west marine in boat r us are the same company but if you are in the market for just one go 2 west marine in oakland ask for the bargin basement they have this room in the back with all kind of  last years model below wholesale :jawdrop got ff from here maxtric 25 reg price
279$ got it for 149$ cheack it out
got saltwater

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I bought one for myself a week or two ago.
Bought the WM VHF100 for $95.

Thanks for the info.

TreeDoc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for the heads-up, Erik. I'll take your advice and get it plugged.

Just an FYI for all regarding the submersibility of these handhelds.......NONE OF THEM ARE SUBMERSIBLE! Dunk them good and plan on utilizing the warranty. The better ones offer 3 years submersible warranties and all of them admit to replacing lots of radios! Uniden has their Radio Life Insurance which is an automatic deal. If after the warranty expires and your radio croaks, for $49.95 you'll get it repaired or replaced.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Quote from: TreeDoc

Just an FYI for all regarding the submersibility of these handhelds.......NONE OF THEM ARE SUBMERSIBLE! Dunk them good and plan on utilizing the warranty. The better ones offer 3 years submersible warranties and all of them admit to replacing lots of radios! Uniden has their Radio Life Insurance which is an automatic deal. If after the warranty expires and your radio croaks, for $49.95 you'll get it repaired or replaced.

This is true... however there are different shades of gray to consider.  JIS7 is the most common water resistence rating that you see... that's what the Voyager is rated for.  This rating means that it passed the 3-foot for 30 minute submersibility test.  I don't believe this takes into account the effects of salt on the components though... and I definitely would not call these units waterproof... water resistent maybe.

JIS8 is a slightly better rating... that means it passed the 5-feet of water for 30 minutes test... a bit more water resistent.  I think one of the lower priced West Marine models offers JIS8 submersibility rating... as does that new Pentax Optio camera that Joel has.  Still wouldn't plan to dunk it for any extended period of time, but a JIS8 radio would probably come out better than a JIS7.

EK
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Thanks for the great tips on closing up the water entry points Eric.

Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
One of the biggest things peoplek forget about VHF radios....they don't float! I have a waterproof bag for Jis7 Icom, and also keep it snapped to my vest.  They make floater cases. A great investment for 10 bucks!
Doesn't matter if its waterproof if you sink it.

-Brian

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
I have a Standard Horizon HX370S and I am pretty happy with it.

All handhelds suffer from limited range due to lack of power.  (and a sub optimal antenae)

I don't count on more than a mile or two.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I have what Erik uses - Uniden Voyager - I also sealed the mic port with goop....and have had no problems with it so far. Definitely get a dry bag to stow it in when landing your yak on the beach.

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
what she did was print the ad of the net from west marine site then took it in to boat are us the same company i need one for my girl :smt014  is the reason i got the twin pack will try them out at mendo will let you know how they are
west marine in Oakland has a bargain basement last year model of ff gps vhf so give it a try will save you some money
got saltwater

TomB

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I broke down and bought a VHF and a new fish finder last week. I had a very good experience dealing with a fellow in Carson City Nev. I saw info in one of the earlier posts to the forum. His business goes by the name of " Daves Marine "  Goggle him with Daves Marine he uses BrokenLegDave in his Email.
I bought a Standard Horizon HS471 SS for $ 248.99 and a Hummingbird matrix 17 for 167.00 The delivery was the fastest I have ever experienced for about $ 8.00 freight the order was called in by 9:30 Am and the package was setting on my porch before 1:00PM the next day. He is in Carson City but the drop ship warehouse is in New Jersey. New Jersey to Cal over night that is hard to beat. This guy has a big selection and fair prices and is nice to deal with. I just thought I would pass it along for what it is worth

EX-KMA628                                                                    
                                                                                TomB