Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:18:36 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Linked Events

• The Simply Fishing Tournament: September 23, 2017

Topic: Simply Fishing Heads up!  (Read 15411 times)

Willha

• Salmon
  • "Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao T
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
No free t-shirt or clothing orders after 9/1

You can go and check out the website www.SimplyFishingTournament.com
or go straight to Eventzilla
http://events.eventzilla.net/e/simply-fishing-tournament-2017-2138900983
and bypass all the pretty pictures.

If you're new or just have never heard of it this is the fifth year and it's a pretty good time.

The theme of the tournament is simplicity... old school kayak fishing. Nothin' fancy, just the angler and his/her gear, testing their skills.

This year, by popular demand, I have added a fly fishing/rockfish division. Just as the conventional/lingcod division is won by catching the heaviest LINGCOD, the fly fishing/rockfish division will be won by cathcing the heaviest ROCKFISH. You may only compete in one division. All other rules are the same.

In keeping with the theme I'm gonna level the playing field by limiting each angler to one rod and reel and four lures or flys (provided), everyone in each division fishes the same three lures or flys, no bait, no scents.  No mechanized propulsion systems, no sails, no fish finders, no GPS, just a kayak, a paddle, a fishing rod, landing gear and safety equipment

$1000 in prize money

HUGE THANKS TO HEADWATERS KAYAK AND PRO KAYAK FISHING!

Headwaters Kayak put up $500 for the biggest fly caught rockfish and ProKayakFishing.com put up another $500 for the biggest conventionally caught lingcod

REGISTERED

Can anybody possibly shed light on the camping situation, I noticed there is only reservations for Group sites and not individuals.  i wont be able to arrive until friday at about 6pm and worried I might not get a spot.  Think they will have space or should I reserve a spot at Timber?
----Willha

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
It is a large campground but in past years it has been filled to capacity. We still have a couple spots open in our group site. Send me a pm if you want to make reservation.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

You can go and check out the website www.SimplyFishingTournament.com
or go straight to Eventzilla
http://events.eventzilla.net/e/simply-fishing-tournament-2017-2138900983
and bypass all the pretty pictures.

If you're new or just have never heard of it this is the fifth year and it's a pretty good time.

The theme of the tournament is simplicity... old school kayak fishing. Nothin' fancy, just the angler and his/her gear, testing their skills.

This year, by popular demand, I have added a fly fishing/rockfish division. Just as the conventional/lingcod division is won by catching the heaviest LINGCOD, the fly fishing/rockfish division will be won by cathcing the heaviest ROCKFISH. You may only compete in one division. All other rules are the same.

In keeping with the theme I'm gonna level the playing field by limiting each angler to one rod and reel and four lures or flys (provided), everyone in each division fishes the same three lures or flys, no bait, no scents.  No mechanized propulsion systems, no sails, no fish finders, no GPS, just a kayak, a paddle, a fishing rod, landing gear and safety equipment

$1000 in prize money

HUGE THANKS TO HEADWATERS KAYAK AND PRO KAYAK FISHING!

Headwaters Kayak put up $500 for the biggest fly caught rockfish and ProKayakFishing.com put up another $500 for the biggest conventionally caught lingcod

REGISTERED

Can anybody possibly shed light on the camping situation, I noticed there is only reservations for Group sites and not individuals.  i wont be able to arrive until friday at about 6pm and worried I might not get a spot.  Think they will have space or should I reserve a spot at Timber?

You fish and live in Santa Rosa and never been to OC? Come on now ! :smt005  Free for all camping , finding a spot is never an issue. Maybe a good one is but at this time of year no issues ever.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I think its been two years in a row the "campground full" sign has been out at ocean cove during simply fishing. If you can, arrange to share a spot with someone that arrives early.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I've fished everywhere up the coast especially as a kid.  I was spoiled and raised by my grandparents who fished and hunt from here to Canada.  Lol.  As far as from a kayak not as much but I've only ever camped at timber cove so I'm not very familiar with the camping aspect of the coast.  We usually spent our time camping in a 40' prevost country coach. ( like I said spoiled)  :smt044
----Willha

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Bump

Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Even if it says campground full, there is still plenty of room. This campground does not have numbered or designated spots. Its wide open and there will be room. If someone is actually manning the kiosk, tell them that you are joining people who are already there. Otherwise, just drive in, find a spot and go back to the store to pay for your camping and get a tag for your windshield. I am gonna set up the tacoshack on Saturday and do fish and chips for the masses. Please bring me any fillets you can spare.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Even if it says campground full, there is still plenty of room. This campground does not have numbered or designated spots. Its wide open and there will be room. If someone is actually manning the kiosk, tell them that you are joining people who are already there. Otherwise, just drive in, find a spot and go back to the store to pay for your camping and get a tag for your windshield. I am gonna set up the tacoshack on Saturday and do fish and chips for the masses. Please bring me any fillets you can spare.
Do you just set up camp along side the road or share someone's site? I agree there is empty space between sites, I just didn't know they will let you set up and camp there. I just figured that the campground full sign means they aren't letting any more people in. I know some campgrounds use a camp anywhere policy during the tournaments. I hadn't heard that ocean cove was one of them.

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
Woohoo!!!!! My absolute favorite event !!!!

RIGHT ON MIKE.see you there.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Do you just set up camp along side the road or share someone's site? I agree there is empty space between sites, I just didn't know they will let you set up and camp there. I just figured that the campground full sign means they aren't letting any more people in. I know some campgrounds use a camp anywhere policy during the tournaments. I hadn't heard that ocean cove was one of them.

OC has a camp anywhere policy every weekend.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

OC has a camp anywhere policy every weekend.
That's good to know. I was thinking about camping this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:39:14 AM by traildad »

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Was hoping to finally register this year but looks like I'll be flying back from Connecticut on the 22nd or 23rd.  :smt011

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Is this a challenging area to launch and/or fish? I'm thinking about joining, if nothing else to meet some folks and enjoy camaraderie, but I'm a noobie so my water skills aren't fully developed...sounds like a blast though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IG: @sakana_seeker

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Is this a challenging area to launch and/or fish? I'm thinking about joining, if nothing else to meet some folks and enjoy camaraderie, but I'm a noobie so my water skills aren't fully developed...sounds like a blast though!!

you should come registered or not, These events are a blast! everybody makes you feel like family.
----Willha

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Registration for the event is inexpensive and you get some good loot out of it. I recommend you come just to meet people, regardless if you fish in the tournament or not. There will be lots of people, I'm sure someone will help you launch, and you can tag along with someone I'm sure. Hell you can fish with me if you want. There will be lots of people, so you will basically be fishing in a group anyways. Safety in numbers. Hope to see you there.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

anything