Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Speargun redux  (Read 2256 times)

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Looking to start spearfishing here on the north coast. Rockies, lings, halibut would be on the menu. Pretty sure that a 75 cm Euro gun is the way I want to go. Anyone have feedback on the Evolution? Aimrite?  I'd rather buy one gun that I'll use forever up here, rather than go cheap and end up buying two or more.

Regards,
Scott

leony

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I vote for Aimrite.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
  I'd rather buy one gun that I'll use forever up here, rather than go cheap and end up buying two or more.

Regards,
Scott

Well, if that's your criteria, then I'd vote for the Aimrite too.  They have a lifetime warranty.  People who've seen both can chime in with more qualified advice. 

You might want to ask guys who've dove in those waters what the vis. is and whether a 90cm (or maybe a length between the 75 and 90) might be better.

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Ok - so maybe "forever" isn't the right term. Let's just say I'd rather pay a little more at first, and only buy one gun vs buying multiple cheap guns.

I'd been led to believe that a 90 cm gun would be pushing it length wise in the North Coast. I'll bow to more experienced heads though.

Scott

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Hey Scott,

I didn't mean to imply that you should bow to more experienced guys.  I think you ought to ask guys who dive the North coast regularly to see what they say.  Get as many opinions from as many divers as you can, but if at all possible see if you can tag along with them and use their gear.  That's the best way in researching for gear.  Ask Fuzz to take you. :smt006
Nate

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I've been using my Biller 32 for 5 or 6 years now - Linda Mar conditions with a litlle less viz than the north coast. Sometimes a lot less. I notched the shaft for an extra band; I would say that's essential.  75cm sounds a little short for halibut. I'm not really up on the euro guns. My dream gun is a Riffe mid-handle B-bottom. Wanna buy a shark shield first though. I've done so well with the modified Biller, I'm not sure I really need to get the Riffe.
I'd say a 36" gun wouldn't be too long for the north coast.
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

leony

• Salmon
  • View Profile
On the north coast, a 75cm is good. 90cm seems a bit long on normal days. However, if you dive Carmel/Monterey as well, you will want a 90cm.
I made the mistake of buying a 50cm euro as my first speargun two years ago. It's okay to use on the north coast and I got a lot of fish with it, but occasionally I wish I had a 75cm instead. I use a 90cm euro in Carmel. This year I even bought a 115cm Aimrite to use on my socal trips.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I got a 75, and for poor visibility days on the north coast I got a short shaft for it because the normal shaft extends 12-18" past the muzzle.  The shorter shaft cut that down to the length of my point plus an inch.  I suppose one could do that with a 90cm gun and be able to use it as effectively as a stock 75cm gun in murky conditions. 
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Maybe I'm asking too much. I was hoping for one gun, SLO-Mendo, Rockies-Halibut. If this is too wide a spread, then I guess I'd want to compromise more towards the big end of the scale, and use a pole-spear up North.

I'd also have no problem with using one gun, with different bands/spears. I'm mechanically competent, and there's the old saying "beware the man with just one gun".

Regards,
Scott

leony

• Salmon
  • View Profile
if there can only be one gun, 90cm.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I'd also have no problem with using one gun, with different bands/spears.
If I see a rock fish close-up under a rock, I just unband one band so I don't break the tip off.
 If you want to spend the money, a midhandle gun is the best of both worlds - power and short swing radius. Definitely helps in nailing a spooked halibut.
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

fuzz

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
I usually pack a few spearguns between 50-100cm in my yak when I dive norcal since I'm not sure what viz/conditions I'll encounter.  I use the 75cm 90% of the time.

Spearguns are subjective since people have different preferences.  That's just what works best for me.   :smt001

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I found out that Wallins has the Evolutions at a much better price than what I was seeing online. A 75 cm is being built, and I'll be able to pick it up Friday.

Next task is to fab up a floatline. I've been doing some experimentation and think I have a process down. I've played with what I believe is Tygon tubing, but hope to find the more flexible stuff as used in commercial floatlines. I believe that it is Polyurethane. Can anyone confirm?

Regards,
Scott