Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:03:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: have you seen this?  (Read 2686 times)

Davey Jones

The big squids are in Monterey Bay from this article, so beware. BTW they say it has teeth, but on a show last night it said they have suckers with teeth and counted them to 32000 teeth per squid.
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/issues/Issue.03-10-2005/cover/Article.cover_story
Later!

scubamike1974

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I have seen fishing reports where they are catching these with hook and line. They are like an octopus in that in the center of the legs(at the head) they have a beak which they can give a nasty bite. They teeth that they talk about are very small barbs on their suckers. Sounds like a kick to catch them though.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It'll be a while before I'm diving 500 meters where they hang out.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

scubamike1974

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The reports have been saying that in the last couple of years that they have been even surface feeding  :pale:

squidly

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
That is why my club name is SQUIDLY . I was the deckhand on the hulicat out of halfmoon bay last year and we did a crew trip to see if we could find the squid and we did. We returned back to the dock with ninty one on that trip. There where three news papers waiting at the dock. After that we ran squid fishing trips for three months. This is when they firt closed the rock fish season. It kepet some of the hurt in the wallet away while we could not fish for rockfish.That is the reason that they call me squidly diddly.

jim ricker  (SQUIDLY)

flipskid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
dont go into the water with these guys, not unless you have scuba and a life line attached to something.  I read on coastside 2 years ago that some guys thought it would be cool to dive into the middle of a school of these things when they came up following one that is hooked.  they almost didn't make it back to the baot and they had scuba.  The squids attached and grabbed them all over.  He mentioned the barbs cutting his wet suit and the squids puling off his mask and mouthpiece.  jm2c, JR

scubamike1974

• Salmon
  • View Profile
These sure are funky weird looking things. I wonder if you could spear one if you saw it? Kind of odd. I bet they put up a great fight with a fishing rod.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
......get Harold / Fuzz to show the footage he took when he "grabbed" one while free diving  :smt045

surfingmarmot

I dunno. What is the difference reaching out to touch and examine something new versus capturng prey? A lot I think. we humans touch things too when we are curious. It doesn't me we mean to eat it! If these squid wanted you, you'd be lunch--they can peck fast with that beak when they need to. THese Squid were not trying to capture them at all. They were trying to figure out what they were. A marine biologist talked about them reaching out to feel him with their tentacles. He had no fear and they just touched and let go. Imagine what an under-sized Ling would say about its encounter with one of you. Not flattering I'll bet. Its all perspective and we humans, not used to being prey, collapse into fear of it relatively easiily.

scubamike1974

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Very true statement. I have seen very large "manly" men run in fear over stupid little things. I am not sure how I would react to seeing a large squid especially if it wanted to touch me...what if it liked me??  :smt107 haha

surfingmarmot

I'll never forget my first sea kayak lesson in the ocean.There were two pupils: me at 5' 6" and an athletic 165lbs and a guy over 6' 2" and 200. We went out of Santa Cruz Harbor in sea kayaks. Once we got out in the swell, the instructor siaid "okay who wants to roll over, exit and re-enter for a self-rescue?" the big guy froze so I did it. Yeah it was cold and took me a few minutes to inflate the paddle float and reenter and pump the water out, but it drove home the point that courage is NOT related to size and neither is skill or knowledge. Heck, I, at 5' 6" jumped out of C-130 aircraft with a 55-pound ruck sack and M-16 for my country. What the heck was a little ocean swell? The big guy refused to 'wet-exit' and flunked the class--he was afraid he wouldn't be able to exit the cockpit of the kayak! Irrantional? Yes. reailty? no but his mind made it true.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 03:45:31 PM by liopleurodon »

jerryd

Ummm OK... So  do these things put up a pretty good fight?

surfingmarmot

What do you think given their size and strength? Maybe not as a fish that size would, but these Squid are fast sprinters so I would expect them to pull pretty good and they are big. And those look like smaller ones in fact. I believe their body can get as long as a humans or even longer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 03:47:43 PM by liopleurodon »

squidly

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I can only tell you that it is like filling a 55 gallon garbage can full of water and reeling it up from the top of the golden gate bridge.