Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:04:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Elk 08, GuitarZan is The Man!!!  (Read 22301 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Glad everyone had a good time....lots of people this year.  Not a record for anglers, but definitely  more friends and family...a good sign!  I also had lots of folks pitch in with camp/kitchen and cleaning chores....THANK YOU!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone we made a nice chunk of dough for the community center again, and Erik's Coastside raffle was a massive success as well. 

I generally don't get to fish much during these events but I snuck out in the Zest with paige a few times to fish a little and play in the rocks.  Paige loved going through the arches...

Moochy helped with the building the showers.  They were really good this year.  Thanks Moochy!

And now off to the winners...

Alan's 3rd place 13# ling....

Levi's 14# 2nd place ling...

And this years Elk champ who took home a brand new Trident 13 courtesy of Tsunami Sales and Marketing and Ocean Kayak...BEN!!!!!!  Couldn't have been a more deserving winner. Congratulations Guitarzan!!!!

Here is his FAT 17 plus pounder...

Thanks again for coming!!!

tallpaul

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Thanks to all for a great event, and thanks especially to Great White and his Great wife for all their work through the year ptting this thing together.

Redyak and I stopped in the Elk visitor center on the way out, which is open something like 11 to 2 on weekends only with volunteer staff. There are some really cool old pictures of the area from the 1920's, showing logging and shipping work, but the picture that caught my eye was one of two guys fishing from a skiff, with the caption: "An afternoons fishing"

They had a pile of fish that you would not believe:  Perhaps forty fish, most of them Lings, with the small fish twenty to thirty pounds, and the big ones looked like sixty to me, and fat. I had to look again to make sure they weren't black sea bass or something-they were that huge!  Classic old school fisherman's pose, leaning on their oars and smoking. You gotta check it out next time you're there.

Best,

TallPaul
Always willing to join others in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay area for a bit of fishing...feel free to contact me.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
That is a famous pic, truly massive lings in that photo.

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Congrats Ben on the first place and thanks to all for sharing some pictures for the
rest of us to envy. Way to go guys.

Jed
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
...here's a few to get started with.

pic1~ Saturday morning launch

pic2~ the north end of the beach.

pic3~Sean & Paige on the Zest
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
As soon as I saw the big blue I was awestruck by the beauty of the area, and I remained somewhat dumbstruck the entire time.  It's a humbling area.

I saw the pics at the community center too...  amazing.

The early morning launch pics do not tell the whole story.  Friday was great til about noon and then the wind started howling...

Saturday the swell was up and it was a weird confused choppy swell.  The wind was on and off all day, but by 11:30 or so it was pretty much howling nonstop, making conditions nearly unfishable.  

I didn'ty go out Sunday but I heard the conditions were worse.

I dunked my camera so no pics, but thanks again to the Whites, EK, the City of Elk, and everyone else.

Random memorable moments:

-Seeing Paige bring up her first ab...  she was so proud!

-Fresh out of the fryer ChuckE fried rockfish...  incredible! (and thanks for the fishing tips, by the way!)

-Fresh avacadoes from Jim's tree, those were off the hook!

-Eating fresh urchin sushi off the back of Angels kayak on the beach, (thanks again!)

And thanks to Mooch for getting Hook 1 to donate the gift certificate I won in the raffle!

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
My trip started on Thursday morning...Mooch and I went to Albion(20min north of Elk) to Fish,Camp&BS. Got there and had a real breakfast in the on-site coffee shop. Then Mooch wanted to "take a NAP!?"  He had been comsuming massive quatities of caffine and the 2 pull-over naps on the way up there didn't quite add up to a full nights sleep. I "made him" go out...since that was the reason for going there in the first place.

pic1~ waiting for Mooch to catch up to me in the Navarro Redwoods, along hwy128.

pic2~ emerging from the forest and Navarro River, to the open coast

pic3~ rivers edge....amphibien& his buddy(sorry, forgot name), choppin it up before we hit it.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Looks like a top notch event, as expected. Thanks to everybody for sharing their personal adventures. Keep em coming! Big Congrats to Ben! A very well-deserved win.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
At the camp site, I finally met someone who REALLY liked me  :smt057 Her name is "CC"......(Rocketman and Slowmo's little puppy)

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
By the powers vested in me, I bananad my fellow NCKA'ers :smt002 (By the way, Ben did have a banana on board when he caught the winning fish  :smt045 SO THERE !!!!!

During the after dinner raffle.....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:36:44 PM by Mooch »

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
....we got out and it started to blow. I looked for some structure to jig over, but after generations of RockFishHarvestingPB'rs....there aren't many left.
I did manage to CP&R a just-keeper Ling and a Black, before deciding to call it and "Blow" back to shore.
I did put in 4 miles of searchin&jiggin, durring the four hours, while on the water

pic1~ amphibien, his buddy and Mooch out at the bouy.

pic2~ Albions' last ling.

pic3~ along the paddle back to the camp.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Albion looks like a GREAT place to fish/launch. How is the camping, any trees or grass?
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
E-DAY -2  (Day 2 Before Elk) Adam and I secured a campsite in Albion (and were later joined by Randall / Big Foot, his son Ty, Zeelander and Bsteves.

Adam enjoying a snack and a beer....

Entering the Albion launch after a slow day of fishing (caught and released smallish Chinas,gophers and blacks)

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Man, you folks had a blast, wish I could have made it.  You guys had way more fun than I did.  Next time.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Albion looks like a GREAT place to fish/launch. How is the camping, any trees or grass?

Ben, it's not the greatest...no trees or any form of shade....wind's constantly blowing....people walk their dogs but don't clean up their poop....only one bathroom on the site BUT it does have coin operated showers. Mike told me that the campsite further up the river is better. May have to check that out next year.

anything