Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WHAT FISHFINDER SHOULD I BUY?  (Read 6083 times)

mscpg

I HAVE A WILDERNESS SYSTEMS TARPON 140. WHAT FISHFINDER SHOULD I BUY? DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS ON INSTALLATION AND POWER SUPPLY.

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
There is a ton out there. I recommend doing a search on this site. You'll find out all you need.

BTW, nice first post.

CHEERS!

Fishtrap329

• Salmon
  • View Profile
 i was wondering about the same thing. Anybody know what is the lastest/greatest availiable out there rightnow. I am willing to spend 300-400 dollars. Any suggestions will greatly appreciated thanks!
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

SandMan

• Salmon
  • Fishing the Bean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
There is a ton of info on this site and a google search using "kayak fishing" will give you hours of research with pictures, how to do-it-yourself, etc.  Troy has a very nice setup on his Tarpon 140. 

Tim, I'm sure ChuckE has ideas on how to set up the Adventure.

Whatever you do, take a drive down to the Oakland West Marine and go to their Bargain Center that's located in a separate room to the left of their main store.  That's where all the West Marine stores return their merchandise for resale.  There's good discounts to be found and you don't have to wait for a big sale.  I bought my fishfinder there, a bunch of kayak hardware, fishing supplies, marine goop...check it out.

Gary
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
IMO: get a dual beam fish finder - I also noticed a lot of Humminbird Matrix users among the NCKA members.

cafecraig

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I was at the WM Bargain Center on Saturday and noticed a few Matrix finders, one Matrix 27 for $160 + tax, a good discounted price.  Some 10's and 20's also.

However, based on everything I have seen and heard, seems the best deal is still the Eagle 245DS which is dual beam and you can find it for $100.  I have heard those Eagle units are most durable and saltwater friendly.

If $100 was my budget, that's the one I'd get, no question.

(My budget turned into $50 so i could get both the Cuda 168 and a 36" deep collapsible landing net for $100).

Fishtrap329

• Salmon
  • View Profile
thank cafecaigh and mooch for the info. I'll be at westmarine next Sat.I think i'll get a matrix also.
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

SandMan

• Salmon
  • Fishing the Bean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Bill/ChuckE/Mooch,

I think we need a survey like you guys did for types of kayaks...

I have a Matrix 25 from the WM Bargain Store and so far so good (6 months)...knock on wood.  Troy helped me fine tune it and I need to get (or make one) that cool visor he has for his.

Gary
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
take a look at my tarpon 140 i have a  Matrix 25 with gps very happy so far
it,s from the WM Bargain Store great place
the bar u see the one the ff is on i made it myself that way i have room up top for fish  also i put a strap across the front hatch no way for that top 2 pop off in bad water u never know :smt003
 i just put in Flush Mount rod holder,s  also the plugs u see in the pic keep the water out the bowl u sit in :smt003
also there a old pic of the way my kayak was setup
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:45:11 PM by gotbaitgofish »
got saltwater

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
I have an eagle fishmark 320, and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

It is about 140 right now.

It is a little larger than some of the others, but it is excellent.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
See Jelly's post aboat his Eagle 245 ds in the Rigging tips section.  This is a GREAT litle ff and only $99.  IMHO its impossible to beat in a bang for the buck comparison.

basilkies

I use the cheapest one I can find. In a yak you are mainly looking for the bottom and bait fish. I use mine for watching the bottom to adjust my line up and down. When I salmon fish I use it to look for bait fish.

I also like to see where the reefs have real lumpy lines showing big rocks and depth changes, cause that  can be a good rock fishing place.

Bottom line is there isn't much to seperate the cheapies up to a few hundred dollars except screen size and some features that aren't that big of a deal. Now, if you want to talk serious business, lets talk about a 600 to 800 dollar transducer that has 60 crystals in it sending bouncing waves all over the place bringing back tons of data and delivering it to a 1200 dollar computer and screen.

What your going to find for three hundred is a transducer that has two frequencies, one narrow beam that will give detail and one wide beam that will cover more area. It will go to a screen and show you certain types of fish according to how much air they have in them and how deep they are. You can not see certain fish like salmon, halibut and I'm not sure about sharks. Even if you did have a fancy transducer, you wouldn't know if you saw a salmon or a piece of kelp. So bottom line you are looking for rockfish, baitfish in schools and the bottom.

Oh, and you won't necessarily see rockfish on your screen when you are catching fish.

lfj

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I'm just about to join the fraternity (my new prowler 13 should arrive in the next two weeks).  i have looked a few fish finders and gps units.  I am looking at the lowrance M68C that combines the two.  Does anyone have any experience with this unit? What do you think of it?

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
I've been busy pimpin' out my new Outback, and one item I've held out on so far is a fishfinder.  I've done quite a bit of searching on various kayak websites, and Google, of course.  I'm torn between going with the cheaper-but-well-reviewed option, or going with one a bit more expensive but with more features.  One thing I've been considering is a model with GPS capabilities.  My train of thought is that it'd be cheaper and more space efficient to have a model that incorporates GPS than it would be to purchase a FF and GPS unit seperately.  Am I off base here, or does that make sense?

Good info about the Oakland West Marine Bargain Center, BTW.   :smt023
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
My train of thought is that it'd be cheaper and more space efficient to have a model that incorporates GPS than it would be to purchase a FF and GPS unit seperately.  Am I off base here, or does that make sense?

I chose to purchase them separately because:

- if you had the FF and the GPS together and the battery dies on you, then your stuck with nothing.
- I like having 'em separate because I can always use the GPS for backpacking, hiking and mountain biking

...just my 2 cents  :smt002