Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:53:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:39:05 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY at Fred Hall  (Read 6171 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Ditto Chuck...the show was great...but the drive was a rascal.  We had a great time, the booth and the energy was amazing, great seeing everyone.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I wish I could of spent more time @ the NCKA booth, hopefully the time I spent @ CC&K @ the Cow Palace and ISE Sacramento will show in tourney prizes and raffle stuff....I talked to a ton of people about NCKA from the CC&K booth and was able to work on other things that should benefit NCKA for the future...Not sure I would do this again this way, I did not really get to enjoy the show or the NCKA seminars, I was pretty busy....Waaa......Danglin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:37:37 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Danglin deserves a big thanks too!
He's been doing lots of legwork that could turn into some major sponsorships for NCKA and good publicity for what we do.
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
Sean, I was wondering if you made that drive each day or were staying down here - brutal!  I guess that just shows your commitment to NCKA, and for that I say "thanks!"

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks ChuckE :smt002

Don't usually beg for a pat on the back, but tring to " Tight Rope Walk " and feel out what these people/sponsors can or will do for us, has been exhausting..

I also got a taste of what has changed So Cal into what it is today. Different KayakFishing web sites and "Real Trash" talk between different factions. It all comes down to " $ ". Different kayakfishermen/women being sponsored by different manufacturers. Competition for sponsors and the list and circumstances goes on and on. As we become bigger and manufacturers become more interested in us ( NCKA ), it is going to be up to us to keep our integrity and comraderie.

Not to say we tell sponsors to go away, just realized that there really is not any big money or glory in any of it, and the best thing we can do is to be as Spock in Star Trek 2 states:

" The Good of the Many, Outweighs the Good of the Few... "

Star Trek 2, Wrath of Khan

Don't mean to be so dramatic, but I love this sport, and I'm probably the worst one as to finding out about sponsors and such (With the intent of boosting our prize offerings). But after talking to Spike, Jim Sammons, Mike Lowery and others who have been doing this for a long time, it's clear to me that we do have something special here right now.

It's up to all of us to keep it that way,

See Ya on the Water......... :smt006.......Danglin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:33:37 PM by Danglin »

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Indeed...big money and kayak fishing are simply not happening anytime soon.  Not only for sponsorship etc., but in all aspects of the sport.  Most of the So Cal squabbling is over what really amounts to peanuts.  The group mojo that we currently have is worth way more.  If you remember that you got into it because its fun, and keep doing it because its fun, you're on the right track.

If you want to fish and make money, buy a bass boat and win some tourneys. If you wanna have fun, you're in the right spot.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 04:27:42 PM by scwafish »

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Amen  Brother Scawfish...Amen.......Danglin

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Yes Yes with wisdom does Sean speak
Where did he go george

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Indeed...big money and kayak fishing are simply not happening anytime soon.  Not only for sponsorship etc., but in all aspects of the sport.  All of the So Cal squabbling is over what really amounts to peanuts.  The group mojo that we currently have is worth way more.  If you remember that you got into it because its fun, and keep doing it because its fun, you're on the right track.

If you want to fish and make money, buy a bass boat and win some tourneys. If you wanna have fun, you're in the right spot.

Absolutely!  (what Sean said)  

First of all... This was a great show and I really enjoyed being there, meeting many of you for the first time, and just being immersed in fishing for a few days.  Likewise, I really appreciate all of the folks who spent their time at the show and created such a buzz over in our little corner of the facility.  Piscean... you have outdone yourself with the plaques this year.  I can't wait to pick mine up from Sean.  Very generous of you.

Now... back to what Sean said... which begs a larger question and some thought on the part of some of the leaders of our NCKA community.  

It is apparent to myself and others, that what we have here is unique, and it is unique because it is not hindered or tainted by competing commecial interests.  The success of this board is due purely to the enthusiasm of it's members for this sport that we enjoy so much.  We speak freely to promote or criticize any product that we may encounter.  We use our ingenuity to develop creative solutions to problems that are not met by any commercial product.  We spend time promoting the sport simply because we enjoy seeing others pursue some of the incredible experiences we have all had.

From a marketing standpoint, I think we have a lot to offer to the manufacturers and the businesses that provide products and services to this sport.  If we like something, we talk about it and share it with others.  We share our ideas, innovations, and feedback openly.  At a show like this, we create a focal point of enthusiasm for the sport of kayak fishing that all of these manufacturers and retailers can equally tap into.  

The question is, what should be in it for us... and not for us individually, but for our community as a whole?  I'll gladly put on seminars and hang out at the booth again at future shows, but I'd like to ensure that NCKA is getting something out of it.

In the future, I'd like to see some inflow of resources from the manufacturers and retailers that benefit from our presence in the form of (1) financial support to NCKA.org to keep this website operating and pay for little things like banners, promotional items, etc., (2) commitments to donate prizes in sponsorship of tournaments and/or raffles, and (3) possibly even some reimbursement for expenses (not income per se) for some of those who are putting on seminars and working the show so that they can do so without spending so much WAF in the process  :smt002.  

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts on this.

EK

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 04:47:23 PM by KzReelRods »
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'd like to see some inflow of resources from the manufacturers and retailers that benefit from our presence in the form of (1) financial support to NCKA.org to keep this website operating and pay for little things like banners, promotional items, etc., (2) commitments to donate prizes in sponsorship of tournaments and/or raffles

This is part of why I burnt a lot of gas and WAF over the weekend.  So far, for the events that we host, I have felt some love from the Mfgs. we sell have been pretty supportive of our tourneys.  We usually get at least one boat, we had three at Elk, and the raffles are generally pretty good too....Surf to summit and other always step up.  Okuma also really stepped up so I was there returning some love.  That said it could always be better, and I think having some of the So Cal interests see our scene this weekend won't hurt.

(3) possibly even some reimbursement for expenses (not income per se) for some of those who are putting on seminars and working the show so that they can do so without spending so much WAF in the process

While this would be great, for the most part the precedent has been set by folks anxious to do it for free...or less!!  So when Chuck asked, I knew there would be no cash involved.  But again, NCKA has been always great to GWKC, so none expected either, more karma to repay. 

For the rest of folks who don't have a business it would be nice, but for the most part I don't see it happening, at least not yet.  It will probably happen eventually, but it will be Jelly's generation, not mine.

Beyond that it was really nice seeing everybody we fish with, customers from the past, guys form Coastside etc.  It was really interesting seeing some folks I have never seen without waders or a wetsuit on.  I barely recognized a well groomed and dapper looking Bob Neal...without the Scamp, the Scupper,  and the smaell of neoprene...I was like..."you look familiar  :smt017 :smt017..have we met??

Although I was tired as heck by the end, I had a great time.  I'm sure next year will be even better. 

BTW-HUGE props to Chuck for pulling it all together!!!

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Just wanna say my "Thanks!"  (too tired for emoticons right now)...............

To Chuck: for getting the ball rolling for the NCKA booth, the prep work all the way to the brake down. Many of you do not know this, but Chuck actually works the graveyard shift for UPS at the airport. My point here is that for the ENTIRE WEEK, he only had a few hours of sleep and was still able to manage to help out with the NCKA booth.....that there my friends, is a fine example of commitment. I also want to thank John / JTF and Duane / Insaneduane for helping Chuck and I clean up and load our trucks at the end of the show. I've got some T-Shirts and a hug coming your way...

To all the Local Veterans who took the time to come out and do the seminars: Allen Bushnell (who drove from Santa Cruz), EriK Kunz (from Santa Rosa), Sean White (from Ukiah) Chuck (San Leandro)....

To our bros from So Cal: Dennis Spike , Jim Sammons = The "Godfathers" of kayak fishing. Mike Knott, Brian Long, Sean Caples from Malibu Kayaks and Brent from OEX....

To our very own: The NCKA members who came by just to say "Hello". I had a great time meeting the new members and seeing the familiar faces again.....and to my surprise, I've met MANY lurkers (besides Dan the Lurker) who have been keeping up with our online "chats". Many of 'em had mentioned about how awesome "the vibe" is between the members......

To Papa Bill.....unfortunately, Bill was sick and was not able to attend. Heal fast buddy!! We all appreciate the fact that YOU have brought us all together. Your dad (Bill Sr.) made you a special trophy for the "Hook-Up of the Year" and shipped it to me - to award to you - We will just have to wait till our next NCKA get together.

To Sean / Piscean...for creating those beautiful wood carvings for the awards ceremony!

To Rick from Okuma reels.....thanks for sponsoring our very own Angler of the Year contest! We miss your company - Hope you can join us at Bendo at Mendo this year!

To my sponsors: Karen and Mark at Hook1 Kayakfishinggear.com and Vince Pao of Aquan Sports. Not only have they been supplying me with quality gear essentials, but they have also been supporting many of our tournaments by giving away gift certificates. Special thanks to Mike Mowrey of Ocean Kayaks as well - for the awesome Extra Sport PFD and a cool paddle to go with it!

To our buddy Steve Blackwell aka "chef" ....who is battling cancer and is such a great inspiration to us all! Steve, keep the fight going...we are all behind you!!!

- Joel Lotilla -
Proud member of NCKA  :smt002

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 08:13:29 AM by Mooch »

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods

Although I was tired as heck by the end, I had a great time.  I'm sure next year will be even better. 

BTW-HUGE props to Chuck for pulling it all together!!!

Ditto that!!!  Chuck and Joel both went WAY out of their way to make this a success... big props all the way around! 

Now you know what it takes to pull this off... count me in next year!

EK
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Indeed...big money and kayak fishing are simply not happening anytime soon.  Not only for sponsorship etc., but in all aspects of the sport.  All of the So Cal squabbling is over what really amounts to peanuts.  The group mojo that we currently have is worth way more.  If you remember that you got into it because its fun, and keep doing it because its fun, you're on the right track.

Absolutely!  (what Sean said)  

First of all... This was a great show and I really enjoyed being there, meeting many of you for the first time, and just being immersed in fishing for a few days.  Likewise, I really appreciate all of the folks who spent their time at the show and created such a buzz over in our little corner of the facility.  Piscean... you have outdone yourself with the plaques this year.  I can't wait to pick mine up from Sean.  Very generous of you.

Now... back to what Sean said... which begs a larger question and some thought on the part of some of the leaders of our NCKA community.  

It is apparent to myself and others, that what we have here is unique, and it is unique because it is not hindered or tainted by competing commecial interests.  The success of this board is due purely to the enthusiasm of it's members for this sport that we enjoy so much.  We speak freely to promote or criticize any product that we may encounter.  We use our ingenuity to develop creative solutions to problems that are not met by any commercial product.  We spend time promoting the sport simply because we enjoy seeing others pursue some of the incredible experiences we have all had.

From a marketing standpoint, I think we have a lot to offer to the manufacturers and the businesses that provide products and services to this sport.  If we like something, we talk about it and share it with others.  We share our ideas, innovations, and feedback openly.  At a show like this, we create a focal point of enthusiasm for the sport of kayak fishing that all of these manufacturers and retailers can equally tap into.  

The question is, what should be in it for us... and not for us individually, but for our community as a whole?  I'll gladly put on seminars and hang out at the booth again at future shows, but I'd like to ensure that NCKA is getting something out of it.

In the future, I'd like to see some inflow of resources from the manufacturers and retailers that benefit from our presence in the form of (1) financial support to NCKA.org to keep this website operating and pay for little things like banners, promotional items, etc., (2) commitments to donate prizes in sponsorship of tournaments and/or raffles, and (3) possibly even some reimbursement for expenses (not income per se) for some of those who are putting on seminars and working the show so that they can do so without spending so much WAF in the process  :smt002.  

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts on this.

EK

KZ,

You Nailed it!!! :thumright:.........................Danglin

By the way, they waved me in for free parking on the last day :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt004
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 06:13:47 PM by Danglin »

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
WOW!  I had a great time sunday checkin out everything.  Honorable mention (NCKA booth excluded)goes to the guys at the Daiwa and Jim Sammons.   The Daiwa guys were nothing less than amazing with their help and positive attitude while going over new products. 

Jim Sammons, it was nice chatting with you on sunday and I look forward to someday getting down to la joya  to take a break from big fish.  :smt005  Really now, I expect you to use your 6lb line if I see you down there.   

Chuck, you da man!!!! :smt023  You never have to thank me for anything, I'm always indebted to you for the things in the past you've helped me with.

Joel, I've started construction of a caged octagon :smt064 but, also congrats to all the AOTY guys, I've fished with all of you and must say your some of the coolest cats around and damn good anglers. 

Sean, your rockfish seminar was great. :smt038

And also, thanks guys for my pic being used over the ncka booth, i was very honored to have it up there and thanks Ben(guitarzan) for taking that pic during the elk tourney.  I owe you an action shot at the next one.

JTF..
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Some pics,

Joel, Duane, Jim Sammons, and Bob Neil, standing around looking at Joels super sexy OK  prowler.  (rumor has it, Joel has been cheating on his kayak and is wanting to date another???)

InsaneDuane's malibu eXtreme, the bridge on this vessel is very similar to that of a battleship.  Nicely done.

Duane and his crab bouys, these things are super cool.  If your a tackle ho or the kind of guy who only purchases the best, these are essential "must haves"!!!  Duane, awesome, these buoys will save so much space inside or outside the kayak. 

A passerby at the show admiring the brave kayak fisherman pictured in the hostile waters of Nor-Cal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:10:57 PM by JTF.. »
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG