Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Post your "Best Kayak Fishing Day" (so far).....  (Read 7323 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Da boyz at Moss Landing - April 2004

Fred "Savage", Stuart,ChuckE and Joel "Mooch"

Despite the long paddle to the fishing grounds, we were rewarded with flat seas and King Salmon for the entire crew. SIMPLY PRICELESS AND MEMORABLE  :smt045

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:57:55 PM by Mooch »

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Has to be the second time Chuck and i fished Brickyard cove.  March 2007 i believe (i'll check that and edit if necessary). I waited in the dark for chuck at the launch. yak sitting at waters edge. High tide was at dawn, and it was big. In the light of the eastbay i could see boils, and hear more off in the dark. i rigged a topwater and tossed it- third cast and bang, fish on.
I harrassed chuck on the phone-- Hurry up man!  When we paddled out we didn't make it 100 yds before fish on. As the sun rose we watched then caught stripers boiling on the rip rap - chasing bait. 

We caught fish on the troll, on the cast, and even a few with the lures just floating. I got splashed when a striper boiled on a bait next to my yak. I don't have a clue how many fish we caught and released that day, but it was nutty and non-stop.

non-stop action and good company, what could be better?

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
It always seems to be the last one and/or the promise of the next one.  Though I do have a day at LK one at Andrew Molera and one at CRSB that do stand out above all others.  The best is yet to come.  :smt044
Etienne

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Here's another one for me...

07.17.05 at the Kayak Connection Derby in Santa Cruz. I borrowed a Cobra Fish and Dive from Brian G (aka "da guy from Lodi" or also affectionally called "Brian Blue Jeans") and I took my friend / co-worker Alex aka Aliens - a long time fisherman, first time kayak fisherman on his first kayak fishing adventure.....just about an hour or two into the tournament, Alex and I were drifting bait near the SC Pier when Alex hooks up with a 32.8 POUND HALIBUT  :smt007  He ended up winning the Derby AND taking home a brand new Prowler 15  for first place :kick And not only that, in the history of the Kayak Connection Derby, Alex, to this day, holds the record for the biggest fish caught  :headbang:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:05:40 AM by Mooch »

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Hard to pick just one trip.

A couple of my Mendo trips last year were off the hook, with 6 or 7 big stripers, and a few LM and SM thrown in. Also the time I took my friend Billy out to Mendo for his first time on the yak and he caught six stripers that day.

I've never really done too good fishing wise at Elk, but I always love the scenery and comraderie at the tourneys there.

And lastly, my first ocean trip (Fort Ross) will always be a great memory, even though I flipped my yak thirty minutes into the trip and then ate sh*t on the landing.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
This was one of the days that defines me - both the catch and the report:   

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5461.0.html       :smile:

...and when I read that 21+ month old report I think of this:

So I'm really not sure which day was better, and I think I need to have another, different day to top those two.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
a morning at Mendo, the day before BAMIII, I got 6-striper, LM,SM and Catfish from the same spot...never had to move...it was drop and catch...even a double was had!
DON'Thate,CONGRADULATE!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Yikes - my brain is soft!

I almost forgot. I was going to launch with Allen B down at Davenport, but on my drive by Linda Mar decided to stop and chekc it out. i talked with him on the phone a while hemming and hawing, then decided to launch there with the hopes of a salmon.
I geared up, made it through the surf and was riggin up outside the surf line - zillions of anchovies popping all around. Big boil not 10 feet from my yak. Finally geared up i got up to speed and lowered my apex to 38 pulls. Four paddle strokes later i was on! that put a 12#er or so in the box. new weight, same gig...up to speed, rod tip pinging from bait rub, clear the bait ball, bam-- put a twin of the first in the box.  IWith a limit i paddled in, landed, and loaded. I pulled out of the parking lot almost exactly 55 minutes after i launched.

I arrived home, to my wife saying, "what happened you couldn't go out?" then laughing when i showed her my limit.  Best part of the day? I got to sit on the couch, Bloody in hand, and watch Lance win the TT, and go on to his 6th TdF victory

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Here's another one for me...

07.17.05 at the Kayak Connection Derby in Santa Cruz. I borrowed a Cobra Fish and Dive form Brian G (aka "da guy from Lodi" or also affectionally called "Brian Blue Jeans") and I took my friend / co-worker Alex aka Aliens - a long time fisherman, first time kayak fisherman on his first kayak fishing adventure.....just about an hour or two into the tournament, Alex and I were drifting bait near the SC Pier when Alex hooks up with a 32.8 POUND HALIBUT  :smt007  He ended up winning the Derby AND taking home a brand new Prowler 15  for first place :kick And not only that, in the history of the Kayak Connection Derby, Alex, to this day, holds the record for the biggest fish caught  :headbang:

This was one of my best days fishing ( but not catching ) too.
It was the first tourney I was ever in. Also the first I ever heard about.
Most important it was my first involvement with NCKA. Heck I didn't even know NCKA existed until that tournament.
I guess my 3 yr anniversary is coming up... Maybe I will buy myself something for...oh....I dunno...kayak fishing?? :smt044
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 04:13:32 PM by Tote »
<=>

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Yesterday was a darn good one, and is the first "best kayak fishing day" that comes to mind. I'll have to get a judges ruling, but I think James caught his first fish. I had to help him cast, but he held the rod (with a little help), and did all the reeling. Thank goodness for cooperative bluegills :)

Scott

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
One of those rare days...scoring a good variety of fish, compliments of Bean Hollow  :smt007

1 Halibut
1 Cabezon
1 Lingcod

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Easy one for me. My dad and I launched out of Moss on a Friday, not many boats around plus we launched kinda late. We cleared the jaws ad started trolling. Massive bait balls all around. Within 10 minutes I am on. Land check length and it looks close so I toss him back. 5 more minutes my dad has a much bigger fish on. Within an hour we have 3 fish in the boat and had farmed 2. We where within .5 mile of the jaws. We decide to troll in and just outside the jaws fish #4 hits the deck. 2 limits in about 3 hours of near shore fishing. The best part is wen we got in and heard from the fish counter we where the only people with fish!

PJ

• Salmon
  • "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Brody - Jaws
  • View Profile PRJAdvertising.com
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
This is such a good topic, thanks for putting it out there!!!  I think I caught Abkings' fish???

There is ONE day that stands out in my mind above many if not all of the others.  & the funny thing was that it was so good I never posted a report about it.  I didn't think anyone would believe me & or others wouldn't want to hear it.  I actually felt guilty that I was able to experience it so I left it to myself & my new fishing pal Francis.

The Flemmish Cap, August 17th 2007

It was a warm summer Dutch day, the smell of chocolate, marijuana & Eurotrash prostitutes wafted through the air.  I knew it was a day I had to fish.

I had been seeing large flocks of birds dive-bombing baitfish all over SLO Co. for weeks, but every time I spied them it was the wrong place & the wrong time for me.  I saw them around Moonstone Beach a few times & watched with my binos, Pelicans, Gulls, all kinds of marine birds going ape-#@&! on god knows what kind of school of baitfish.  I saw them off Estero Pt. once at the same time of day, sunset.  I actually stopped, pulled over & calculated flaking on my wife, going & getting my boat & paddling out in the fading light just to have a crack at what could be going bizerk out there.  I could only imagine what must be swimming around underneath.

It was bright sunny morning & I'm driving up the coast toward the Cap.  I keep scanning the horizon for the Mother-Of-All-Bird-Flocks but see nothing.  I crest the hill & look due West & I  can't believe my eyes.  THE WHOLE FREAKIN' ENTIRE FLEMMISH CAP IS COVERED WITH BAITFISH & DIVE-BOMBING-BIRDS!!!  It was crazy it looked like a slick around 3/4 of a mile long & 1/4 wide, the entire body of kelp @ the cap had runneth over with baitfish!!!

I was almost shaking as I pulled up to the launch.  I begin readying my gear as fast as I can when a van pulls up w/ a boat on top.  This bald-guy jumps out & is pacing around looking @ me.  He finally walks over to me & says, "I was here last summer & I saw this guy come out of the water with a TON OF FISH...have you ever fished here before???"  I respond, "yeh, I'm kind of in a hurrry though".  He looks @ me and yells, "IT WAS YOU! YOU'RE THE GUY!!!".

We chatted as I got my gear ready & he made it pretty clear that he really wanted to come with.  I looked @ his gear & he only has a pair of shorts, a t-shirt, sunglasses, a rod & some tackle.  I tell him he needs a PFD & a wetsuit or he can loose his life.  I could tell he was coming no matter what.  "Fine, no problem." I say, "I don't mind if you come with but you really need some safety gear".  He thanks me profusely.

I head out & constantly glance back to make sure Francis is doing fine.  I get to the Cap & it's baitfish city!  Fish are boiling, it's unreal!!!  I rig my fishtrap on a leadhead & begin to catch fish.  All the while I keep seeing fish boiling here & there, 10 yards away, 20 yards away, everywhere.  I'm questioning my tactics although I am catching fish.

Francis arrives on the scene & is immediately hooking up, he is stoked.  He's catching rockfish.

Finally I decide to change course, I throw on a 5" Crocodile spoon, spot boiling fish & cast into them hoping not to snag a bird or kelp.  I get bit immediately.  The spoon doesn't even drop 10 feet. 

First fish a FAT 26" Ling, yes!  Toss it on the stringer & cast into the bait ball again.  Another strike in less than 10 feet.  A fat-fighting Verm, good sized at that.  Toss it on the stringer & cast again, another good Verm. Toss it on the stringer & repeat, an Olive goes bizerk on my bait.  Toss it on the stringer & repeat.  Another good Verm.

I yell to Francis who now has a Ling in his boat.  "That's it." he says, "That's all I wanted, just one.  I'm heading in."  I tell him, "you should stay, I swear this is the BEST I've ever seen this place!"  He paddles toward shore.

I see more birds, paddle 20 yards & toss my spoon into a long opening in the kelp that is overflowing with a feeding-frenzy.  I feel my spoon sinking & nothing, 10 feet, 20 feet, 30 feet, 40 feet & it stops. "Shit, I knew I would snag & loose this thing in the kelp!"  It rolls across the bottom around 15 yards taking slow steady line.  "Francis!" I scream but he is gone.

I pull on the fish & it won't move.  I wait 30 seconds & pull again, it moves another 10 yards.  "I CAN'T MOVE THIS FISH" I thought, AWESOME, it must be huge.  I wait, loosen my drag & sit tight.  Another few minutes go by & the thing is still on the bottom.  I slowly tighten the drag & pull very slowly.  It feels exactly like when your lure is stuck in the kelp & only slow steady pressure will move it back toward you.

After a few more minutes I can feel I'm pulling the PIG.  I keep steady draw & eventually I see a large gaping mouth coming out of the abyss.  It is a PIG of a Ling!!!  Huge!!!

I take a deep breath, side my gaff under his gill & lift most of his body out of the water.  I grab my stringer line & slide it thru his gill & tie the other end off on my yak.  YES, I've got him.

I know had around 30-40lbs in my boat, most of which I landed in 20 minutes & the feeding frenzy is still spread out over a half mile!!!

I throw my spoon again, another FAT 28" Ling, I look @ the 26" but there was nothing I could do.  I toss it.  I cast again into the frenzy & get a 26" Ling.  UNBELIEVABLE!  4 Lings, 3 Verms & 1 Olive in under 10 consecutive casts!!!

I knew I had all the fish I could possibly use so I head in.  I see Francis pacing in the parking lot.  "Here's my card, call me if you want company."  I tell him, "You just got the best half hour I've had here in 3 years!"  I wasn't sure if he believed me.

I haven't seen him, or the birds, there again since. 

PJ

The Ling turned out to be my personal best to date, 32.5" & FAT at that!!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:34:48 PM by PJ »
8'6" Thresher Shark on 20 Lb. Mono, Somewhere in the Vicinity of Pt. Zero, Not Far from the Flemish Cap

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
that is an AMAZING STORY!!  my hands are shakin while i'm replying.
......maybe one day~
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
August 05.  Life is pressing in on all sides; work, family, politics, health etc.  I pick up an Adventure Sport Magazine and an article on SCAllen catches my attention.  I lament how long its been since I last fished.  Usually that would have been it, back to the grindstone. By chance I was in Monterey the next week and stopped by MBK and decided to sign up for Allens clinic.

Those of you who have been in sports know the zone.  That rare moment when the world slows down but you are at full speed.  Fastballs float to you, linebackers seem so slow and predictable, the tennis ball is huge.

on the kayak that day, I found the zone for the first time in a long time.  I had just dropped down a small blue and a ling had taken it.  I could FEEL the fish throbbing through the line, I could smell the air, hear the birds, taste the salt, feel the cold on my feet, the sun on my face.  I was home.  Reunited with my tribe.

many wonderful days since then.  Lots of fresh fish, meeting great people.  Most days I still remember to sit back and feel the essence of being on the water.  That first day is still etched in my mind however.  Thanks Allen.

Eugene

Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby