Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Opinion on Perception / Aquaterra Swing?  (Read 3384 times)

scorpaenichthys

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first used kayak, and since I'm new to this, I was hoping to get some other paddlers' and divers' opinions on (1) the particular kayak I'm considering and (2) any big red flags to look out for when inspecting the hull.

I stumbled onto a wickedly cheap Craigslist deal for what looks like a really old Perception Swing in LA (old enough to be branded Aquaterra and only have the front hatch). From the photos, it looks like it's in great condition, and I think it would fit my diving needs pretty much perfectly. Part of me would like a bigger hatch, but I toyed around with a mock-up and I think I can fit everything I need to inside.

I've only been able to find glowing reviews of these boats, but none are especially recent. If anyone has any experience with one of these, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drowned now and again.

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I had to google the boat, So first off I've never used it.  Looking at it I can give you my opinion on the layout.  Personally I don't like the hump between the legs.  I'd rather it be flat so I can easily hold a fish till I wack it.  2 I don't like the dry compartment behind the seat.. This put the storage area further away which will require more effort when your fishing. 

The boat looks like it will cut water good.  In all honestly the boat will probably work just fine if your not planning to bring a lot of gear.  At the same time it will probably make you look over your gear more and force you to realize what you need and what you don't.

Look at the seat and make sure its comfortable for you and how you plan to use the boat.  I personally like molded in seats the keep me low to the water.  That said I've used some that are literately a pain in the butt/back after several hours or back to back days fishing.  My first SOT was a Native Mantaray and I love it.. still use it some.  Its simple and holds everything i really need. 

If your getting in and out of the boat in the water I like a skinnier boat with rounded edges.  Just makes it more comfortable. Also needs to be clean on the edges, no screws, sonar units or things of that nature to get in your way.

Lastly I like bigger hatches compared to the 8" on this boat.  Just makes putting stuff inside and getting stuff out easier.

This is just my 2 cents from looking at it and thinking about what I've used in the past.  I'd look for a boat with a larger storage hatch and a larger/ better designed rear storage area.  Now if you don't plan to utilize internal storage you could always add bungee. 

scorpaenichthys

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
I had to google the boat, So first off I've never used it.  Looking at it I can give you my opinion on the layout.  Personally I don't like the hump between the legs.  I'd rather it be flat so I can easily hold a fish till I wack it.  2 I don't like the dry compartment behind the seat.. This put the storage area further away which will require more effort when your fishing. 

The boat looks like it will cut water good.  In all honestly the boat will probably work just fine if your not planning to bring a lot of gear.  At the same time it will probably make you look over your gear more and force you to realize what you need and what you don't.

Look at the seat and make sure its comfortable for you and how you plan to use the boat.  I personally like molded in seats the keep me low to the water.  That said I've used some that are literately a pain in the butt/back after several hours or back to back days fishing.  My first SOT was a Native Mantaray and I love it.. still use it some.  Its simple and holds everything i really need. 

If your getting in and out of the boat in the water I like a skinnier boat with rounded edges.  Just makes it more comfortable. Also needs to be clean on the edges, no screws, sonar units or things of that nature to get in your way.

Lastly I like bigger hatches compared to the 8" on this boat.  Just makes putting stuff inside and getting stuff out easier.

This is just my 2 cents from looking at it and thinking about what I've used in the past.  I'd look for a boat with a larger storage hatch and a larger/ better designed rear storage area.  Now if you don't plan to utilize internal storage you could always add bungee.

Appreciate the quick response. I ended up pulling the trigger on it after all. For $150, I couldn't turn it down. The hatch is definitely smaller than I'd like (i.d. is somewhere around 9.5"), but I can get my freediving fins in no problem. My gun (82 Pathos) won't quite make it, but I'll either figure out some sort of bungee system in the tank well or focus more on my pole-spear hunting. This thing should definitely do the trick until I have the budget for a better / more customizable kayak.

A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drowned now and again.

Tinker

For how you plan to use it, I think it'll do just fine.  I don't dive, but personally, I don't carry much in the rear tankwell, so even as a fishing platform, I don't see many downsides other than the smallish hatches - but if they fit what you need to store in them, no biggie.

For $150 bucks, you've got a serviceable kayak.  Congratulations!