Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 03:37:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:37:33 PM]

[Today at 03:33:45 PM]

[Today at 02:22:44 PM]

[Today at 01:28:45 PM]

[Today at 12:29:15 PM]

[Today at 09:06:57 AM]

[Today at 07:07:49 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 10:47:14 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tomales Bay launch on west side?  (Read 6836 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Staying with the wife and kids next week at Inverness and was wondering if there's a place to launch on the west side of Tomales bay (not Nick's cove). Would hate to drive all the way around the bay to launch but I might not have a choice if fishing near Hog Island?
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

yatzmail@yahoo.com

I normally launch at nick’s cove if headed to hog island and launch at Lawson whenever i am camping. You can definitely get to hog island from Lawson but it’s quite far, nice for touring. However be careful on the out going tide because you’re near the mouth to open waters.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
You can launch at Heart's Desire, but that's quite a bit away from Hog Island....although you don't really need to go to Hog Island area to catch halibut.  :smt002

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I know there is a motel in Inverness that allows the public to launch but you’re a long way from hog island (in a kayak). Aren’t those flats back there starting to hold Halibut this time of year? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• View Profile
Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like fishing the flats on the southern end is worth a shot. Guessing the waters there are warmer this time of year? If it doesn't produce, I'll make the drive to Nick's =P
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
I was fishing Marshall from shore last weekend and most of the boats I saw were working the area near Heart's Desire and South. There was also a major bait ball with lots of bird activity in the same area.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

• View Profile
I was fishing Marshall from shore last weekend and most of the boats I saw were working the area near Heart's Desire and South. There was also a major bait ball with lots of bird activity in the same area.

Appreciate the intel Rock Hopper!
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

yatzmail@yahoo.com

It’s a -2 tide this weekend if you want to dig for clams too. It’s an early one Friday or Saturday in front of Lawson’s launch. Good luck on the butts!

• View Profile
It’s a -2 tide this weekend if you want to dig for clams too. It’s an early one Friday or Saturday in front of Lawson’s launch. Good luck on the butts!

Thanks for the tip yatzmail. Grilled butts' and clam chowder would be icing on the cake!
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

Thanks for the tip yatzmail. Grilled butts' and clam chowder would be icing on the cake!

Watch out for the clam chowder. There has been a PSP warning on bivalves for several months now. Someone got sick from eating mussels from Dillon beach. Hope it gets lifted soon.

-Eliot

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Watch out for the clam chowder. There has been a PSP warning on bivalves for several months now. Someone got sick from eating mussels from Dillon beach. Hope it gets lifted soon.

-Eliot

The ban was lifted recently and Howard sent out the article here below.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84121.0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:28:15 AM by yatzmail »

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

-Eliot

Great news thank you Yatzmail!

-Eliot

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

-Eliot

Great news thank you Yatzmail!

-Eliot

Excellent, ate a batch of limpets from Muir last weekend and was slightly worried. Some folks should get out there and get some of those big clams!   :smt002

Don't like cake but if it has halibut and clam iceing I'm down!   :smt006
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:42:23 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I have had pretty good action on the yak trolling the south end of the bay (from south of Marshall to Chicken Ranch) along the ledge on the west side (10-12') and also mid bay (16-20'). If you see bait balls, cast lures at it as there are likely stripers underneath.

It's actually a real nice paddle from Heart's Desire to Hog. With the big outgoing tide, you can easily troll up before the turn of the tide and the wind and current will ease you back south.

You can also launch at Chicken Ranch if you can wheel over the sand.

• View Profile
I have had pretty good action on the yak trolling the south end of the bay (from south of Marshall to Chicken Ranch) along the ledge on the west side (10-12') and also mid bay (16-20'). If you see bait balls, cast lures at it as there are likely stripers underneath.

It's actually a real nice paddle from Heart's Desire to Hog. With the big outgoing tide, you can easily troll up before the turn of the tide and the wind and current will ease you back south.

You can also launch at Chicken Ranch if you can wheel over the sand.

Hey oysterer, how long is the paddle from Heart's Desire to Hog going with the tide? Looks like it could be a good 5 miles?
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

anything