Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:01:05 PM]

[Today at 06:30:57 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

[Today at 05:19:42 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sac Area Bass/Striper Spots?  (Read 1814 times)

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I was supposed to head out with a buddy of mine tomorrow but he bailed last minute. I'm not that keen on where he wanted to fish so I figured I'd try something new. Any bass bites on around this time of year? This will be my second voyage out on my kayak but not new to fishing by a long shot. I have a boat so I'd rather fish spots I may not have been to before. I fished Nimbus for the first time ever the other day and pulled out a couple of nice LMBs and a couple of dinks but it was slow. There's little structure around there - at least where I tried and I paddled quite a bit (rainbow down to Willow Creek).

I'd be up for stripers too but seems a little late but I wouldn't know as I've never fished for them before.

Thanks in advance!

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Good luck tomorrow. Hope you get some good intel for the Sac area

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks - normally I'd just charge around in the boat on Folsom on something but that gets old at this time of the year. The bite is beyond tough with the constantly changing water levels. I could troll for trout but not really my thing.

AnglingWes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Bass bite starts to get tough at the normal spots this time of year around Sac.  If you are looking for a mixed bag of whatever will bite, try the port of Sac.  ItÂ’s super yak friendly with the potential for bass and stripers.  Access at the Barge Canal off Jefferson Blvd.

If you are looking to get off the beaten path and chase super sluggish bass, you can try Lisbon Slough. It doesnÂ’t see much pressure and holds a good population of lock jawed bass. 
Launch here:
(38.6770667,-121.6445662)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thank you. Little intimidated about putting a kayak in the shipping channel! It's probably just because I am super green to it but just don't want to do anything stupid. How are the currents? Do you typically paddle up river then drift down? Do you anchor? I haven't got that far with my kayak yet to get an anchor on it. I don't even have a finder yet. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

AnglingWes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The Port of Sac (Lake Washington)is where many yakkers get started.  There is a minimal tidal influence, but its very manageable for even the most novice paddlers.  Ship traffic is rare.   The barge canal itself is a simple cut that is 10-14 deep.  Just East of the launch is the old Sac Locke that has been closed for 15 years.  Head west out of the launch towards open water. Baby stripers and bass can be found on the weed edges on either side of the barge canal.  When you get to the first ship dock, it drops off to about 30-35deep.  Striper will stack up on the incoming tide near the drop off.  Venture as far west as you feel comfortable.  Follow the birds to find the bait. 

If you want the full Port experience, head North in the middle of the Port to get into a cool backwater area.  There is debris and sunken barges scattered on a big shallow flat.  There are bass out there too.

Explore a bit and see what you find. Its a pretty cool place.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:59:04 PM by AnglingWes »

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That's a lot of good info.  I'll have to bookmark this page for future use.  Thanks!

The Port of Sac (Lake Washington)is where many yakkers get started.  There is a minimal tidal influence, but its very manageable for even the most novice paddlers.  Ship traffic is rare.   The barge canal itself is a simple cut that is 10-14 deep.  Just East of the launch is the old Sac Locke that has been closed for 15 years.  Head west out of the launch towards open water. Baby stripers and bass can be found on the weed edges on either side of the barge canal.  When you get to the first ship dock, it drops off to about 30-35deep.  Striper will stack up on the incoming tide near the drop off.  Venture as far west as you feel comfortable.  Follow the birds to find the bait. 

If you want the full Port experience, head North in the middle of the Port to get into a cool backwater area.  There is debris and sunken barges scattered on a big shallow flat.  There are bass out there too.

Explore a bit and see what you find. Its a pretty cool place.

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Ya man the port is super friendly to kayaking there is basically zero current. The only drifting that will happen is from the wind.

As the other guys stated you can hit striper near the first dock near the drop off from the first channel goes from 15 to 30 feet then slowly to 40. If you paddle across the lake to where the cove is just to the left there is another bank that tends to hold a large quantity of stripers. If you see seagulls grabbing shad off the top water throw swim baits or top water lures it's basically a guarantee that you'll hook up.

If you paddle past the first 2 docks on the right you'll get to the private boat launch and the shallows mentioned in the prior post. You can kill it on large mouth bass back here, it'll mainly be dinks but you can hit 2-3 lbs bass with some regularity as well. I recommend 2-3inch poppers, spooks, and small swimbaits. Also if you're into carp there is some giants in this area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I may check it out. Not sure where to launch though. I like the idea of a shot at the stripers.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
The barge canal Acsess on Jefferson. You can just take the 50 to Jefferson. Also a bait shop over there (Penny's Rod and Bait) or 7 eleven carries everything you'd need to catch live bait for stripers if you go that route. You'll run into other kayakers fishing who are usually helpful as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AnglingWes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hit the Port this am for a bit. Birds and bait everywhere, but couldn’t even scratch out a bite. Couldn’t complain about the conditions thou.

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
The port is funn and close but I highly recommend you drive 30 min away from Sacramento to the Delta . Bass and striper have been extremely hot latly anything white and looks like a shad will get you fish. The rain will start staining the water but don't stop. soak some bait and get some mud suckers it's game on for sturgeon and striper from here to February .then back to.sacramento.for the spring striper run
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Hit the Port this am for a bit. Birds and bait everywhere, but couldn’t even scratch out a bite. Couldn’t complain about the conditions thou.

Nice pic, Wes.

AnglingWes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I agree.  The delta is definitely one of my favorite fisheries.  I just hit the Port when I only have an hour or two to hit the water.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hit the Port this am for a bit. Birds and bait everywhere, but couldn�t even scratch out a bite. Couldn�t complain about the conditions thou.

Very picturesque. Bait or lures?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

anything