Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New to kayaking, love some advice!  (Read 4796 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
thanks for the info Z and Kevin :smt002

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
With regard to tackle for rcikfish etc.  Pick up a few jigs and a few swim baits and lead heads of various weights up to 4 oz or more that match the size of the swim baits you are using.  You may want to pick up a few shrimp flys also.  You do not need to go overboard on tackle, rockfish bill bite almost anything including junk you probably already have in your tackly box and never use.  When I started out I only brought one or two large castmaster lours with me and one rod no net, gaff or ff.  Then I started learning about jigs and swim baits etc.  I like to tie or clip either an iron jig or swim bait on the bottom with a shrimp fly 2-3 feet above it (you can have two hooks when rockfishing).  This often results in double hookups.  Surprizingly often the shrimp fly get hit by lings or they hitchhike on the blues that are alredy hookedup.  If you find yourself in the Monterey area post up an I will try to join you.  I tend to go out almost every weekend and do not usually drive far from home.  Post in hookups or PM me.  Welcome...........madnesss!   
Etienne

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Here is some of the stuff I picked up for rock fishing while at fisherman's warehouse last Friday.  I didn't want to buy too much without giving a small selection a try, so I went with some suggestions of people that were there, and what others have suggested on here.  What else do you guys think I should add to my box?

Btw, it was cool meeting some of you guys for the first time!  Mooch, I didn't recognize you until I saw your pics you had out there. 

I booked for the May 11th trip to Limekiln, and am really excited for my first trip out.  I wonder if anyone would be willing to take me under their wing for my first launch.  Sacyack, you going to be out there?

Oh, and I forget her name, but the lady with the cool telescoping net I wanted to ask who made that net and where she got it.  It seems like it would be perfect for my needs. 

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Mooch, I didn't recognize you until I saw your pics you had out there. 

Yeah....I'll wear my green hat next time :smt002

Anyway, it was nice meeting you and the rest the others that showed up.... I also got to meet a lot of "lurkers" of the NCKA site and some float tube guys that are ready to make the switch to a kayak  :smt002

The best compliment I got from a gentlemen that fishes off his Boat was: "you guys are TRUE fishermen" :smt002......the others simply came up to me shaking their heads in disbelief  :smt011.....but were very impressed with what we catch out there........some were looking at the pics and said...."Crazy stuff"  :smt044 "you'll never get me in one of those" and the classic one "you guys fish in the ocean???...in these??? :smt118"

Had a great time talking nothing but kayak fishing - I'll be doing another "show and tell" at Coast Side # 2  in Pacifica - NO CHARGE-  Will post the date soon.

More clinics to come with Aquan Sports and Half Moon Bay Kayak Company  :smt002 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:07:10 AM by Mooch »

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Mooch, I didn't recognize you until I saw your pics you had out there. 

Yeah....I'll wear my green hat next time :smt002

You should also get a stuffed fish to carry around with you wearing your green hat.  Then i'm sure you would be recognized by all :) 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Al, It was nice to meet you at FW as well.

Looks like a good selection for rockfish. I've caught some very nice cabbies on that rootbeer scampi. It's definitely a "go to" rockfish lure for me.

The next time you're at FW, you might just look at diamond jigs though. They're dead simple, but can sometimes work when other lures aren't. A case in point was yesterday, when I caught the bulk of my fish on a 4 oz diamond jig. It is my rather limited experience that the 6 oz jig is a good compromise for size, and ability to get down to depth without too much scope in your line. The nice thing is that they are a bit less expensive than the megabait/crippled herring jigs.

Regards,
Scott

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
They're dead simple, but can sometimes work when other lures aren't.

Amen to that  :smt045  However, I tend to use the heavy irons (diamond jigs) when fishing 60+ feet. I'll use the plastics (swimbaits,curly tails and scampis) in shallower waters......coz....that's just how I roll  :smt047

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Please forgive the hijack Al!

Mooch,

For me, it's not so much a matter of depth, but a matter of drift speed. If a jig head/plastic combo is staying nice and vertical-ish, then I'll  use it no matter what the depth, assuming that it is catching fish. I've gone as heavy as 6 oz in 100 feet of water, and will try the 8 oz head this year to try and further reduce scope.

But yesterday, while I was getting some action on the scampi, it wasn't really all that fun, nor was the action super hot. When I started buzzing the diamond jig, it was a fish every other cast/drop. I'll grant you that a lot of these were lingbait sized, but some of them were 2 lb blues/olives, and one was the 3+ lb Kelp. Not exceptional, but not bad for a area that is hit as hard as Stillwater. It was also a heck of a lot more fun than vertical jigging, waiting for a take every hour or so. When I did the drop, I'd usually go all the way down, as deep as 100 feet. But most of my hits were within 50 feet of the surface, and a significant number were within 20 feet of the surface.  I also know that I was getting hit on the drop down, but I couldn't manage to connect on any of these.

FYI - the "Mooch" spinning rod accounted for 3 small blues/olives taken with a 1/2 oz shad head/4" rootbeer swimbait combo. When the kelp gets a little bit thicker, I really am going to Texas rig a 6" worm with no weight, and go topwater. Oh yeah :) Cuz that is just how I roll... Oh, and I'll sell it back to you for $30 :)

Scott

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Oh yeah  Cuz that is just how I roll... Oh, and I'll sell it back to you for $30

I told you that rod had some mojo :smt002 By the way, I thought you bought it for da wife  :nono:

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
By the way, I thought you bought it for da wife :nono:

1) She wasn't all that keen on my buying another rod, and would probably rather have the $30
2) That rod is hers whenever she goes fishing. What happens to it when she isn't using it is undefined :)

Scott

anything