Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:58:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 7gill, leopard shark fishing sf bay  (Read 1564 times)

Projectworkout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Has anyone fish for 7gill or leopard shark in Sf bay? Near Sausalito to be exact. Ive read threads about getting them in tomales an other areas, but nothing near the gg. I was thinking of launching out of Ft. Baker ramp and pedaling out to Yellow Bluff and looking for fish in water thats about 50-120ft deep. thinking about drifting a salmon head or guts on steel cable. I just want to land a large shark off the kayak (6ft +). Should I abandon this hope and target them off boat? Any info or tips welcome. hopefully the landlord wont come to investigate me.   

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
You never know where they will be. I caught a 5 1/2 foot Soupfin and a 5 foot Leopard off the ARW in my yak using frozen anchovies.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
They are definitely out there in the Straits and open bay.  I don't think a large shark or ray is out of the question.  What I'd be more weary is the current and conditions in that area.  The current moves the water pretty fast in that area based on the tides and the water is 100'+, some spots are 150-170'. 

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Deep Water with a Midshipman. They’re in there..
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Seven gills are beastly so I've seen.  Hope you geetum and post pics.  Quite the brawl as well I am sure... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I read somewhere to use a small Smooth hound or Brown Shark as live bait. How cool is that!

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
For years I had the same idea, but always thought better of it considering wind/tide/currents/depth, cause I was planning on doing it on the anchor. Now I don't even think about it anymore.   Joe Gamez of Golden State Sportfishing is running shark trips to that area you can find him on FB at https://www.facebook.com/joey.gamez lots of pic and info on his page,

You could try a guided trip then see if you want to do it in your yak.

7 gills are very toothy, like razor blades, not like a leopard at all,

Projectworkout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
You never know where they will be. I caught a 5 1/2 foot Soupfin and a 5 foot Leopard off the ARW in my yak using frozen anchovies.

Hey thanks for the reply, how was the fight? Were you able to land it or was it all catch an release?

Projectworkout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
They are definitely out there in the Straits and open bay.  I don't think a large shark or ray is out of the question.  What I'd be more weary is the current and conditions in that area.  The current moves the water pretty fast in that area based on the tides and the water is 100'+, some spots are 150-170'.

Yeah ive seen the current rip out by ft baker. It looked pretty calm in the yellow bluff area, but thats me just looking from afar. Seeing of anyone has kayaked out there before

Projectworkout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
For years I had the same idea, but always thought better of it considering wind/tide/currents/depth, cause I was planning on doing it on the anchor. Now I don't even think about it anymore.   Joe Gamez of Golden State Sportfishing is running shark trips to that area you can find him on FB at https://www.facebook.com/joey.gamez lots of pic and info on his page,

You could try a guided trip then see if you want to do it in your yak.

7 gills are very toothy, like razor blades, not like a leopard at all,

Haha i saw his video about the shark fishing ok Facebook yesterday, thats what got me questioning whether i should do it or not. Originally i thought about doing anchor, but i talked to a buddy an all they do is drift the bait around on a regular striper setup. So that was the key to it all

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
For both of them it was a good fight, short time : 15 minutes of fun with the soupfin - being towed and spun around. Till I saw the tail when I pulled it up to net it (didnt net it) - s””t thats a shark. Pictures and cut the line next to the mouth. The leopard I was able to boat and remove the hook and then slip over the side.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I used to catch and release sharks back in the day.

San Pablo Bay, San Mateo Bridge area, Berkeley shoreline, San Rafael shoreline, Hayward shoreline etc.

No need to go on a kayak in my opinion.  In fact, if you are releasing them I would advise against the kayak because you will probably end up having cut the line (which sucks for the shark)/

Hi/Lo or sliding sinker, 6/0 barbless circle hook, squid.  I've never lost a shark with a barbless circle hook.  Makes releasing easier.

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Go to richman and turn on cutting lob out squid and 8oz on a slider rig
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

LuiG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I’ve caught them from motor boats.  Anchor up on the flats and create a scent trail during an incoming or outgoing tide.

Caught 6’+ leopard shark off of oyster point. Hit the bait so hard it nearly pulled me out of my chair on a cabin cruiser. If I had tried to set that hook sideways in my Revo, I would have been swimmin. 

It’s a good way to get close to the fish.
Hobie Revo 13

Projectworkout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
cool, i appreciate all of the replies. Ive shore fished for shark and stingrays for a while now. I landed a stringray that weighed over 130lbs near the gg. I just want to catch some big fish from the yak lol. I dont know how i could have handled a huge ray like that from my yak. I guess i have to start small with halibut an salmon and work my way up from there. Thanks for all of the input once again!

anything