Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:57:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crack in my XF  (Read 7784 times)

DaBlazer

• Salmon
  • East Bay Slayerz
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
After returning home from ARW and while rinsing off my XF I discovered a crack in the deck btwn the seat and the rear hatch. It wasn't there before before getting to ARW so, I'm assuming it could have come from from the pvc tubes in my Seairsport seat or from being ratcheted down to the roof of my car during transport?? Any suggestions on how to handle this issue short of purchasing a plastic welder and plastic tubes?
Shut up and FISH!
Have yak Will Travel
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.  ~Angler Unknown
Malibu X-Factor

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Yeah I'd say welder. You may also want to call the mfg.
-Eric Berg

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
That's a bummer - looks like it'll grow if you don't do something soon.  I think talking to Malibu is a good idea, but you may need to do some repairs with hardware and sealant.  I've done such repairs on my X - I'll try to post some photos later.  Good luck.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
If the mfg has no recommendations I would weld it and put a few eye pads straddling the crack to help hold it together.
<=>

DaBlazer

• Salmon
  • East Bay Slayerz
  • View Profile
Do any of you happen to know of any shop in the sf bay area that would do this service? I'm also thinking of sealing the crack inside and out with sealant sandwiched btwn lucite (cutting boards) plates. What do you think?
Shut up and FISH!
Have yak Will Travel
Malibu X-Factor

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Before you fix you need to figure out why it happened it looks like a flex crack maybe from strapping down, I read somewhere that older XF had an occasional problem of the seat area flexing too much and some guys were putting a block inside under the seat to support it. If you make a rigid repair and it's still flexing it might just break again or somewhere else. Try pushing down hard on the middle of the seat to see it it flexs at the crack
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

redwoodfox

that sucks. Looks like welding for sure.

DaBlazer

• Salmon
  • East Bay Slayerz
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the advice. I bought my XFactor used, off of CL and I knew that it was a blem when I purchased it. :smt011 I haven't attempted the flex test off the stand yet however, there is a crack in the plastic of the seat support underneath. :smt013 I want my yak up and underway by the weekend so, I'm looking into the foam block support method for now. Anyone familiar with this G-Flex epoxy sold by West Marine. Looks like it could be an option to the plastic welding method. Also, is there another recommendation for a plastic welder. I see that Harbor Frieght sells them for about $30. It's definitely bout time to invest in a dremel, so I might get the plastic welder at the same time.
Mickfish, thanks again for the advice; Black Ab, I'm looking forward to seeing your photos when you have a chance to post them.
Shut up and FISH!
Have yak Will Travel
Malibu X-Factor

LoletaEric

• Manatee
I transport my X-Factor in the back of my Chevy Silverado - 8' with the tailgate down.  I strap through the front scuppers and tiedowns at the back of my truck bed.  When I'd only had the X-Factor a couple months I was backing to the ramp at Cock Robin Island and I ran over the ends of my straps.  It felt like I ran over a small branch as the truck and boat lurched as the straps achieved maximum tension.  It broke the kayak's back, cracking it in all four corners around the center hatch and visibly altering the rocker of the boat.  All of that damage was above the water line and only hairline at the time, so I continued using it and watched it get worse.  The boat's shape returned for the most part, but the continuing cracking led me to install the stainless brace repairs coated with 3M 5200.  The cracks were threatening to surpass the repairs when I realized to install the crab floats in the hull under the seat area.  It stabilized the entire deck, but it took away some rocker and some "rocker flex" - while most feel the boat flex and shudder as they plow the bow through a heavy swell, my boat is now more rigid, and my bow dives a bit easier.  The X-Factor has been an awesome boat, and I was lucky to repair it well enough to allow seaworthiness for the past 2.75 years.

DaBlazer

• Salmon
  • East Bay Slayerz
  • View Profile
Black Ab, Cool. Thanks for the fix and the photos. I'll be looking for some rigid foam blocks to insert under that seat. I'll keep ya posted on my repair progress.
Shut up and FISH!
Have yak Will Travel
Malibu X-Factor

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
 If you want it to last and be done right plastic weld it, it will be stronger than before it cracked! Personally I would never use any epoxy or any sealant on a crack. I have plastic welded quite a few boats over the years from cracked scupper holes, decks, holes in the bottom, I just repaired a boat that flew out the back of a truck with a water tight repair when I finished  (it was seriously F-up before I started).Contact the manufacturer and see if you can have them send you some scrap material preferably the same color.  I use a combination of a regular soldering iron ,plastic welder, file & rasp,body cheese grater, sandpaper, and propane torch. The trick is to weld with a stitch( an X pattern melt and fill) if that makes sense with the standard iron. Once the material is blended together with the stitch I come back with the plastic welder and melt the general area to confirm uniformity. I usually apply more material that is needed so I can come back and file to a smooth finish just like you would for body work. Then once generally smooth I take the propane torch with a couple of quick passes to smooth and restore to factory finish.

Just make sure you wear a respirator when plastic welding, it stinks and will end up giving you a massive headache if you don't.

Here's the link to the plastic welder I use
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/plastic-welders/plastic-welding-kit-80-watt-iron-67102.html

And here's a couple of pictures of the other items
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:44:32 PM by Abdiver »
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'd drill a small hole at each end of the crack and weld it all up. Thats not a beater man, thats your primary ride and its gonna get used quite a bit, epoxy seems like a short term fix and will lessen resale valuse if you ever decide to sell it.

Was that the only spot that cracked, I double check the whole rig.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

LoletaEric

• Manatee
If a plastic weld holds at a spot that flexes alot I'd be impressed - please show some pics of such a repair.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I read somewhere that older XF had an occasional problem of the seat area flexing too much and some guys were putting a block inside under the seat to support it.
I heard the same thing from OA when I bought my XF.  They are apparently shipping some foam with the new units to wedge between the seat bottom and the hull bottom.  I think i'll find some foam and do this now...
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If a plastic weld holds at a spot that flexes alot I'd be impressed - please show some pics of such a repair.

I hobo-welded a scupper crack in my malibu with a butane lighter and scrap poly I pulled out of the trash at a local shop.  Two years later its still holding (pics are not likely coming any time soon, I'm having problems uploading pics to my comp).  This is my beater though.....i really only dive off it......and loan it on occasion to my bro hippy mike  :smt003 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

anything