Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bass Lake Results  (Read 4574 times)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Major cudos to all who made the treck to Bass Lake today.
The weather was wonderful but again the fish were not.
we had a showing of 27 anglers of which only 5 brought in fish.
I will let the anglers add their stories but here are the results.
3rd place - Gary Gonzales 15 1/8" Rainbow
2nd place - Mike Pitalo 15 1/2" Rainbow
1st Place - Benjamin Yu 18" Kokanee

Honerable mention's:
Chuck Flach - 15" Rainbow
Vahan Manukiam - 14 1/2" Rainbow

ALSO:
Congratulations to 
RICHARD HAMBLIN
for winning the fully rigged Ocean Kayak Trident-13.
Richard has been notified and has 30 days to pick up the T-13 befor it goes up to the next ticket.

Here are some pic's of the event

Hobie Outback (dune)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
And a few more
Hobie Outback (dune)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
And the winners
Hobie Outback (dune)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks to all who particapated this year.
I would also like to thank all the Sponsors who made this happen
I look forward to even more excitement next year and would like to here what segestions you may have.
Feel free to send me a pm or email if you have any ideas.

Eric Kaai
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Fisherman's Warehouse (Fresno)
Hobie Outback (dune)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks for the support Eric!  It was a fun day, even though the fishing was slow.  I got lucky on both my fish, pretty much fishing blind since i didn't mark a fish all day, even though others said their FFs were lit up, I wasn't really convinced by the marks since i didn't see solid arches.

caught both my fish at 40' on the downrigger, lost a bunch of gear, two dodger setups and a jig.  lots of trees in that lake that just come up from nowhere - a few times i snagged up at 40' down in 60+ feet of water.  both of my fish were on a pink rgt behind a watermelon sep's dodger.  sad that i lost it since i was gonna take a pic of it for the upcoming kokanee trolling article.  at least I showed i have some basis for writing the article!

18" kokanee is one of the bigger ones I have ever personally seen.  When I saw color at first I thought it was a nice brown, but as he got closer I noticed it was just his spawning colors.  i put this guy back to go try and make some babies, although i'm not sure if they reproduce in bass lake or not. 

still a nice day, i had a lot of problems on the water that i won't mention  :smt002 but i am more than happy with the results!  thanks again!

and nice chillin with you dilbeck and your friend. last night me and dilbeck...uh... <fill in the blank> :smt044

here are some pics from today and yesterday afternoon/evening:
Yesterday evening on the water:

Beautiful Sunset

Found this guy in my minnow trap last night:

This little buddy of Dilbeck's at camp:

From today - Good morning Bass Lake!

First blood - 12" koke

Money shot baby:

The grand prize winner!

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
A few more pics-

Did you know your bow is slightly out of the water?
(Gary, third place, and caught 4 fish total today)

Caught this guy in the same minnow trap - i think he's the same one from last night and just don't learn a lesson

Some of the crowd:

It's always about me:

Eric doing the raffle:

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
awesome congrats on Victory Ben, and wtg on the release

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
WTG Ben - Congrats!

Thanks to Eric, FW and sponsors for the great events and fun this year!

Makinitcount

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Great job on the event Eric!!! I can't wait for the next one.

Too bad I snagged and lost my white hoochie that I caught all my fish on.

Ben - Nice to meet you......and the picture of my bow  :smt005 it must of been the fish I had tied to the back weighing down the yak  :smt002 

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I was so wanting to do "Bass Lake"...beautiful area, my bro lives just a few miles from there  :smt009 nxt yr...I'm in...WTG and Congrats on the event!!! looked like such a good time...  :smt001 thx for pics and post...
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
congrats Ben, glad you survived the furbags in SC to win another day!

Thanks Eric for having these events, they are lots of fun, and hope to attend more of them next season and broaden my fishing horizons.

Eugene
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Had a super time at your final event Eric.  Thanks again for putting them on.  Look forward to attending even more events next year.

I arrived at Bass Lake Saturday around 6:30 after a short detour and set up shop at Ben's site - thanks again Ben for hosting us.  I brought a seasoned freshwater angler but kayaking newbie.  After throwing up a tent, Brian and I jetted down to the Wishon ramp to get him oriented with the Outback.  After about 30 minutes of tutorial, we headed back to camp for dinner.  In addition to letting my buddy and I share his site, he also tied us a few jigging set-ups.

Getting up at 5:15 was difficult considering that I didn't fall asleep until after midnight.  We broke camp and were ready to roll by 6am but thinking that the event didn't start until 7, we weren't in a big hurry.  Ben attempted to make breakfast for the 3 of us but used most of his fuel the night before trying to burn down the forest. :smt044

Brian and I were set up and on the water by a little after 7am.  Ben was long gone following the plan he'd concocted the night before.  Instead of trying to find him, we followed the intel we'd received the night before at the ramp.  On our way out, I graphed something in about 25-30' of water.  Not wanting to leave any stone unturned, I dropped down the jigging set-up and my rod promptly loaded up.  After a brief battle, I had a 10" crappie laying on his side at the surface.  Somewhat shocked, I sat and pondered my options before he'd had enough and shook the hook.  Fine by me as it wasn't the intended target.

Continued towards our destination and graphed small schools of what we thought were trout or kokanee.  We ended up working a 100 sq. yard area for several hours - both trolling and jigging - to no avail.  At one point, I was in 95' of water with solid black stretching across my screen from 40-70'.  Don't know what they were but I do know they weren't hungry.

Ended up spending the remaining couple of hours working "north" of the dam.  Got snagged a couple of times and that was the extent of excitement.  Overall it was pretty slow, and if not for the crappie, it would have been huge skunk.

Congrats Ben on the win, sorry for the poor photos.  Look forward to hooking up with you again.

Major failure on not snapping any pictures but I was so intent on catching fish that I didn't take any.  I should have, at the very least, got a few of Brian's 1st time out, but I failed miserably.  The good news is that he said he enjoyed the kayak, but not so much the skunk. :smt044

Michael

anything