Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:16:40 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Almost have the bug.....  (Read 1181 times)

moosesoco

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
HI,
Im new to this forum. Ive hunted and fished all my life. I have a inflatable pontoon boat that I fish out of..... but after seeing a guy fish from a kayak, it got my curiosity up. I really like the idea of a pedal kayak but im not sure how realistic it is. I live pretty close to the delta and a kayak seems like it would open up more places or me to sneak a quick trip in not to mention they seem to a lot quicker to set up to take fishing.

I am going to look around the forum and see if there has been any discussions on pedaling vs paddling (im sure there has been!). If you have any thoughts of a pedal kayak vs a paddle kayak... send em my way!! The only two makers I can find of pedal kayaks are hobie and native.

Thanks!
Andy

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome Andy.  You know not what you've started.   :smt005

-Allen
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:45:35 PM by polepole »

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Welcome aboard Andy!  I can vouch for the faster set-up of a kayak compared to a pontoon boat, reason being that I've owned both.  You're able to get on the water a lot quicker on the kayak compared to the pontoon, and you can also move a lot faster on the water.

As for the pedal vs paddle stuff, yeah that's been brought up more than a few times  :smt005.  I fished exclusively from a paddle kayak for a few years before I bought my first Hobie (a Revo 13) a little over a year ago.   If you like to do a lot of trolling in open water, the Hobie is the way to go.  The hands-free aspect of a Hobie allows you to do things you're unable to do from a paddle 'yak, such as ripping plugs while trolling.  A Hobie can also be extremely helpful when rockfishing during a fast drift, in that you can hold position over structure while you fish.  Also, being able to eat a sandwich/tie a leader/sip a beer while you pedal to your next destination is another advantage of a Hobie  :smt001.

However, a paddle kayak is the way to go if you want to be more precise in your movements or if you're fishing around dense weeds/kelp.  When fishing tight waters such as rivers or in tight next to structure (docks, rocks, trees, etc.), a paddle yak is much more adept at navigation compared to a Hobie.  Very shallow waters and thick kelp are hazardous for a pedal-driven kayak.  That's why I own both a Hobie and an Ocean Kayak  :smt003.  I wouldn't say one trumps the other.  It just depends what you want to do with it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:35:43 PM by Clayman »
aMayesing Bros.

Big J

• Janice
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Welcome. Whichever one you choose will hook you into the NCKA madness (that's a GOOD thing!)!

Janice aka Big J
2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Freshwater Derby Champion, Women's Division

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.

MistralWind

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Welcome Andy,

If trolling is a large part of your angling suite get a Hobie. The first time I saw the pedals I knew I would be sitting behind them in short order. To me, boat control is huge for angling success. And hands free operation allows me to carve that trolling pass exactly where I want to put the lure. 

I also like the fact that I can really cover some water to get to where I want to be. The boats are as functional/good as they look. The only drawback is operating in thick cover (weeds). Then you need to pop up the rudder and get out the paddle.

I think the hobie sport would be a great little delta boat. The other mirage drive boats are bigger/faster/longer/more seaworthy etc. They all have their place.

Hobie Adventure Island

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Welcome Andy!  :smt006

Lots of previous discussions on pedal vs. paddle, there is no 'right' answer.  As the guys above mentioned there are pros and cons to each.  Start simple, try out a few boats, and get what works for you.   :smt001

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Welcome Andy.  Clayman said it best.  Try out some paddle and pedal kayaks and see what you like that will suit you for the type of waters you plan on fishing.

Good luck on your search.  Btw, if you're posting on here, you already have the bug!  :smt005
If you ain't first, you're last.

moosesoco

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Thanks for all the input. Most of my fishing is trolling and fly fishing. I do like throwing senkos and spinner baits at bass though.
I have a 4 year old boy I need to consider too for when he gets older. The kid can't throw a ball but he can toss his line in the water with no problem!! He loves to fish!!  :)
I'm hoping the ISE that's is coming up will have some kayaks there to check out!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA Andy  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

anything