Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:42:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:39:05 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: A sticky for ocean newbie questions?  (Read 106833 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: LoletaEric
Pretty sure that the PFD is the only legal requirement.

Thanks for that link, Doug!  I'd forgotten that we're required to carry a noisemaker and light, and I think it reads that you only need flares if you're out at night.

I'd say you're not likely to be held to that standard very often by the CG or DFW - I've seen both while on the water and never been asked for the smaller things, whereas, I do believe they're attuned to checking for PFD, as they should be.

Having a whistle, small flashlight and hand flares is important - stuff I've not used in years of carrying it, but I have it.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I always carry two pealess whistles. Haven't had to use one yet, hope to not have to.

Up in Oregon for the Oregon Rockfish Classic out of Depoe bay, the coast guard does an inspection before you are allowed to launch. They require a safety flag in addition to the pfd and whistle.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
I always carry two pealess whistles. Haven't had to use one yet, hope to not have to.

Up in Oregon for the Oregon Rockfish Classic out of Depoe bay, the coast guard does an inspection before you are allowed to launch. They require a safety flag in addition to the pfd and whistle.

I don't think they require it.  The organizers of ORC do, and I think the the inspectors knew it and asked about it.  I will say that having flags as a requirement for the tournament is very well received by the CG, the local charter boats, and the local boating community in general.  We've received many complements about it.  And the participants really like the extra safety check.  The CG check is mostly done by the volunteer CG Auxiliary, although some years local LE has gotten involved as part of community outreach.

-Allen

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Quote from: Sarge
where can I go and find out what I need (by law)to have when I am on my yak?

Not that it is a good idea but I was told that a sit on kayak is considered a floatation device and you do not need a PDF. When ab diving I often don't bring the pdf since I am jumping in the water anyway.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

MattSwayze

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Gotta bring sunglasses! And a good luck cigar of course...
aMayesing Bros.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I got checked by the sheriffs twice to make sure I had one on board. They then realized I had it on. I would not chance not having it.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Quote from: Sarge
where can I go and find out what I need (by law)to have when I am on my yak?

Not that it is a good idea but I was told that a sit on kayak is considered a floatation device and you do not need a PDF. When ab diving I often don't bring the pdf since I am jumping in the water anyway.

Not sure where you got that but the law is very clear on PFD's, have to be on board and accessible. Not in a hatch or under the deck. Also have to be approximate for the vessel (not really applicable to kayaks more of a rule for jet skis that can go over 80mph). Have to fit the intended warier, and have to be in good repair. Also inflatables have to worn to count as a PFD. Children under the age of 12 must always ware a PFD, unless on a sailboat over 26'. Other states have stricter rules but this is the federal guideline that CA uses.

FishReaper

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I ab and scuba dive in addition to Kayak fishing. I would think a pair of fins and a snorkel would be handy if you absolutely had to abandon the boat (get hit by a motorboat or broken up on a hidden wash rock.) They wouldn't take up much space in one of the hatches....and could get you back to shore if you were not too far out....or at least make it easier to tread water with a PFD and keep your head above surface.

charlesthe2nd

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
This thread definitely helped me.  I have the majority of the things listed, but never thought about attaching a mirror/compass and whistle to my PFD.  Also, the wetsuit will have to be obtained.  Farmer John it is!
"No man steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."  -Heraclitus

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
one thing I waited to long to get--pool noodles ,or, floating material, stuffed inside my kayyak and a bilge pump

until I watched a buddy sink..then I bought one pump for each kayak and an extra too  :smt001 I watched him sink completely and fast too---I decided I do NOT want to sink -ever

many times my first year ,a mile from shore I could have sunk ,if anything would have ever taken place, to start taking on water, I would have been screwed/swimming

this year I have the kayak full of pool noodles and more recently added the pumps to each kayak...in theory even a bad leak I could now pump the water out pretty quick with the pump,paddle 100 ft...pump out...paddle- stop-pump out again---etc...and make it home to dry land

I bought a cheap pump off ebay and it is super good quality and pumps lots of water fast--the picture is just a interent pic I found

pool noodles stuffed to full inside and a pump...I was lucky nothing happened before I saw and learned  :smt009
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I have had the safety check done by the Coastguard Auxiliary at ORC.  This would be a nice thing to add to some of our California events.  I still have the sticker on my yak from the inspection, two years ago. 

Landy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Some great info here that I am definitely going to refer to when I go out. 

Miblasko

• Sardine
  • Jackson Coosa
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Hey all.  I have a reservation on a party boat for this year's salmon opener on 4/2/16 out of Monterey and was thinking of maybe trying some rock fishing on the Friday before.  I mostly fish rivers on my Jackson Coosa and fish larger lakes from time to time.  I was thinking it would be OK on saltwater in good conditions with a PFD, radio and wetsuit.  Am I crazy?  I have access to an OK 14' Scupper Pro as a potential option as well, but it would add complexity to plan for the trip.  What do you guys think?

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Hey all.  I have a reservation on a party boat for this year's salmon opener on 4/2/16 out of Monterey and was thinking of maybe trying some rock fishing on the Friday before.  I mostly fish rivers on my Jackson Coosa and fish larger lakes from time to time.  I was thinking it would be OK on saltwater in good conditions with a PFD, radio and wetsuit.  Am I crazy?  I have access to an OK 14' Scupper Pro as a potential option as well, but it would add complexity to plan for the trip.  What do you guys think?

That's opening day for rockfish down that way, should be easy to score a hookup.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything