Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fly Fishing for Delta Stripers  (Read 1890 times)

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Anyone fishing for delta Stripers? I would love to fly fish for Stripers out of the kayak in the delta, but have no knowledge or experience doing so. Has anyone taken on that challenge in the past or lately?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
YES, Do it. Its my favorite place to fish, all of it. Been fishing there since I was 8 years old. Fishing mostly from boats or bank then. Now I have my own boat, kayak and float tube I think I got it covered now. Really striper fishing the Delta is a blast. You can get them most of the year but some times are better than others, same with location most the time. Fly fishing from the kayak is hard for me. I am not the best caster, really bad sitting down. There are quite a few people fishing for them here. You should get some good info. I will give up my best two spots to you for kayaking. One is Sherman Island. From the launch ramp to Sacramento point west of the ramp in the main channel or the lake side I like the main river. Second is Rivers End ramp. Paddle north to where the water comes out of Clifton court forebay into Old river. Start at the on the west side of the river by the small boat dock. Then cast under the bamboo if you can when you drift by. They hide under there. I use lipless crank baits most of the time for stripers when a controlled cast is required. When open water I am ok with the fly rod. One more good place is Discovery bay under the boat docks. Dam I gave up too much information. Oh yea spring and fall runs are the best.
I like the fall when the big girls show at Sherman Island.

Go get them
Kevin

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks Kevin, you are the man. I will check in to it. I live in Clovis and love Striper fishing with my brother on the American River, in Sacramento. But, the American River water flow is around 8,000 cfs, to much water at this time.

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Kevin- May be we can hookup sometime and attempt Striper fishing around the Sherman Island or delta area. I really want to try fly fishing the delta for Stripers on my Hobie Outback kayak. I have caught several Stripers fly fishing, but not in delta. I live in Clovis, where do you live.

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I am in San Jose. And yes I would like to do this some time.

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
All I do is fly fish.  And yes I have gone for stripers in the delta on the fly.  I usually fish a floating line and a t-14 line.  I can only get out on weekends, so if you post a trip and I am available, I would be down for some striper action.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Onairos

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I never been fly fishing before but really want to try, especially for stripers. What kind of equipment would I need to get started.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I never been fly fishing before but really want to try, especially for stripers. What kind of equipment would I need to get started.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I recommend an 8 or 9 weight rod fitted with a T-14 shooting head.  Length varies depending on your casting ability, whoever sells you your equipment can recommend the proper length.  You can then use this rod in the surf and ocean fishing. 

My personal choice in rods are TFO BVK's, they are reasonably priced and have a no questions asked lifetime warranty.  Get a good reel with a descent braking system.  For flies any clouser will work.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

PURE ICE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
+1 I'm in if a crew makes an expedition or if one wants company and or carpool. My stripper fishings been keep to the beaches and  Forbay but have been wanting to fish the delta. I haven't tryed shooting t-14 from the yak yet but it sounds fun

J. Ice

Let's get a trip planned. BBQ & camp

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
There is a class now and then thru Headwaters to learn how to fly fish from kayak
If we could get 5-6 folks interested to do a class would be nice?

Its been on my to do list for a while

Contact me if interested
poulton@aol.com

Mash

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I'm in, too. Been wanting to get out to the delta more. If you guys put together a trip I'll haul my pro angler, my 8wt and my lazy ass from Santa Cruz to be part of it.

PURE ICE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Mash....
I'm in boulder creek let's tie some flies. I might shot some line tomorrow or Sundayon the beach.
Let's all make the delta happen.
J. Ice

Mash

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Mash....
I'm in boulder creek let's tie some flies. I might shot some line tomorrow or Sundayon the beach.
Let's all make the delta happen.
J. Ice

Sent you a PM with my number. I'm up for tying flies and hitting the beach. Also been wanting to strip flies from my kayak in the delta, or even forebay. Let's do it!

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Fished the American River these past few days, but limited action. My buddy caught one nice Steelhead. Used a small Jon boat 52”x95” to navigate the river. Make a steady casting platform. My brother and friend used a raft.

Hopefully, the bite will be better next go round.

RB - rbsmithphd

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2019
Thanks for the report. What flies were you using? I've not fished the American. Is it fishable from a kayak? Randall