Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:38:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sand Dab Fishing  (Read 1550 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013

I found the post below and it seemed to have a lot of great information in it however I guess it was deleted by the person who posted it? I have been searching around for more info but I can't seem to find a good write up. If someone can send me a link to a good write up I would appreciate it.

We have been going out in about 120 feet and had good luck with dabs but sometimes the bite drops off or the school moves on. I have read about using a larger hook so only the large ones get hooked etc. I have used that 12 hook setup however that thing would hook into everything on the yak including myself so we cut those in thirds and also use Sabiki rigs. It seems like they just bite on the bottom 2 or 3 hooks anyway. Just looking for more info about preferable tides, equipment, etc...

Sand Dabs are one of my favorite fish to eat.

Topic: Kayak Fishing for Pacific Sand Dabs  (Read 21912 times)
TenCrabs and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Great Bass 2
Catch And Cook (CNC)
Sea Lion
The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)
Date Registered: Jul 2006
February 06, 2010, 02:11:09 PM
deleted

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Type sand dabs in the search function lots of info there. We will be heading out for them in Monterey real soon! :smt006
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
In addition to the weight on the bottom, put a weight on the top of your sabhiki so all the hooks get down to the bottom rather than just dragging the bottom two hooks.  I tip them with squid, not sure if it matters.  I find they will be at certain depths and not others depending on the day.  ALSO, I find that bigger ones will be at a different depths than smaller ones.  Generally speaking, the farther out I go, the bigger they get.  But at least 120 all the way up to well, as far out as you can go.  The pin in the map marks the general area on the map below where I usually go out of moss.  I think its around 150. Sandy areas only, that's why moss is a good bet. I start at 120, drifting deeper till I find some decent size and then try to stay in that same depth. I dont bother with bigger/smaller hooks.  If you have bigger hooks, the small ones may rob your bait.  If you keep getting small ones, then move to the next spot, maybe deeper.  Fish with braid, otherwise you may not even feel the bite.  I think that's it

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks, I have been searching but was just wondering if there was a write up I was missing, saves search time.  That write up looked great but all the info is missing.

That is all great information and I really like the second weight idea. I'll start heading out deeper...

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
This is the best write up I have found:

https://skyaboveus.com/fishing/Sand-Dab-Fishing

He has some interesting information like bouncing your weight on the bottom to make them take notice of the bait and to use a pyramid weight  so it wont move in the current.

Does anyone know where to find underwater topographical images like the one Jasksonbigtuna had in the post? I searched NOAA, Google, etc but have not found anything detailed.

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
U can use navionics app for topo maps.  When I’m targeting flatfish I’ve been working across the contour lines until I find the depth where they’re biting, then start working along that depth. 

fishingsowong

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Thanks, this really helps a lot. I always wanted to fish for Sanddab  from a kayak but don’t know where or how to look for them. Thanks a lot.

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
U can use navionics app for topo maps.  When I’m targeting flatfish I’ve been working across the contour lines until I find the depth where they’re biting, then start working along that depth. 

That's an interesting app, I'll check it out. I was looking for something I could check out on a pc as well.

Thanks, this really helps a lot. I always wanted to fish for Sanddab  from a kayak but don’t know where or how to look for them. Thanks a lot.

I'll keep posting info on dabs here if I come across something interesting. They are great eating fish

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Also if you don't get bites in a couple minutes then move on.  It's usually really easy to catch more than enough dabs using pieces of squid.  Tentacles work the best.  Whole to half anchovy for petrale sole and rock sole which are better eating and bigger.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Also if you don't get bites in a couple minutes then move on.  It's usually really easy to catch more than enough dabs using pieces of squid.  Tentacles work the best.  Whole to half anchovy for petrale sole and rock sole which are better eating and bigger.

I agree 100%, I have had much better luck when using squid. I usually cut a ring of squid, cut that in half, then run the hook through it a couple of times. I usually don't use the tentacles, I'll use those first next time. I would like to go after sole, do you usually find them deeper?

fishingsowong

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Thanks, TenCrabs. That would be awesome. I have gone on party boat fishing for sand dabs  but it's expensive considered how little time was spent on fishing.