Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Reports from a foriegn land  (Read 10530 times)

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Thanks for the replies and Kind words , I may be able to get out next week if good weather and days off work coincide , not something that happens very often at this time of year  :smt011.

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hi dudes   :smt004 , here is another report from sunny England  :smt044 .This ones got fish in it . I still cant get the You tube clips to embed without some code showing  , you will just have bear with me on this .

I set off a little late and drove down to Minnis Bay through the drizzle and murk . By the time I had set up my kayak and dragged it across the exposed sand and mud to the waters edge it was gone 06:15 and the tide had begun to flood .

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2NLw8nyd9xM&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">[/youtube]

The marks I had programed the night before into my GPS were about a mile out , but it was getting to be a hard slog against the tide . And after a quick look at the chart , I decided to head straight offshore and fish where the deeper water started .

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ovexU8NCJKg&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">[/youtube]

I fished for an hour or so and was getting a few bites .
Unfortunately the tide was proving too strong for me to hold the bottom and despite letting out more anchor line I began to drag . I felt it was too dangerous to use my anchor trolley to switch from stern to bow so I let go and paddled back up to the  5 litre plastic can I use as an anchor buoy .
I headed back towards the shore and found a bit of a gully so I dropped the hook again and put down my baits . 

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1mBfuDQbz6o&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">[/youtube]   

I began to get bites almost straight away and eventually hooked and landed a small codling .  ;D Yay my first fish for months !

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcZVKG_tAW0&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">[/youtube]

Not long before high water I started getting some solid knocks and then a long pull on my right hand rod . I struck into a fish that felt better and sure enough a Thornback ray broke surface out in front of the yak . Not a whopper but it put a smile on my face .

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H28pQ00yMgo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">[/youtube]

By then the tide was slack and I decided to call it a day .
On reflection I thought I did OK . The fishing is not easy at this time of year and I had caught a couple of fish . The next time I try to fish the marks I wanted to go to originally I will use the tides better . Maybe choosing a neap so I have a better chance of holding the bottom . Also if I launch a few hours before low water I can use the tide to take me down to the marks and I will not have to drag my yak across 200 metres of soft sand .
It was the second time out for my redesigned front rod rest and camera mount . It is working fine although it needs tidying up a bit .

In the distance is Reculver towers

BANJOTAD

• North Valley Slayers
  • Sea Lion
  • Hobie Revolution
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thanks for the report and videos, keep them coming :smt004

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
cool video report! what other fish do you target during your peek fishing season.

thanks for sharing .

Alex  :alien:

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
LOL
all your fish are rather cute   :smt003
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Your rod holders look pretty cool can we get a closeup and any info.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
This has been bothering me for a while and I'm too ashamed to ask on anglersafloat!

What's the difference between a cod and a codling? Is it just size?

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Yes the only difference between Codling and cod is size , I would start calling a codling a Cod at about 4lb . Other species I will  be targeting in the warmer months will be bass , smoothound and maybe tope .
 There are going to be quite a few meets in the UK this year , I will be going to some of them  . Hopefully this will put me into contact with species of fish that are not found around in any numbers around the south east . Although I have to say that the English channel and Thames and Medway estuaries do offer a good variety of fishing within 50 miles of my home . This is only my second year on a kayak so its all still a bit of a learning curve .
[ there is a police helicopter hovering near by as I write this , its like Compton here ! ]
The rod rest is a heath robinson affair knocked up out of carp tackle and bits of chopping board . I will take some photos of how my yak is rigged next time I am out . This may be a week or two as work <spitsmiley> is going to interfere with my fishing .   

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Whats the name of your fishing website in the UK? It would be cool to post some of our antics from the State of Californication. Craig
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
To get a better idea of your geographic location could you provide a GPS coordinates.

Thanks

:alien:

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Whats the name of your fishing website in the UK? It would be cool to post some of our antics from the State of Californication. Craig

I'm already there! It's www.anglersafloat.co.uk. You have to register to view the boards. I did and of course put up a sturgeon photo  :cowboy_smoke:

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Yes , it is a good idea to give you all a link to where I am fishing . This link should take you to where I launched from at Minnis bay , Birchington . . This link should take you to where I launched from last week at Minster , Isle of Sheppey . . If you wish to know the GPS coordinates ,they are in the URL after the second = sign ie. for Minster  51.430932 N, 0.809067 E . and for Minnis bay 51.378667 N , 1.280841 E

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
thanks for the Paddle&HookJob!!  even though you're so far away, it feels like you're right next door! :smt002  Times out, are GOOD TIMES!! 
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
[ there is a police helicopter hovering near by as I write this , its like Compton here ! ]

Wait a second.  Do you mean Compton as in East Compton, UK?  Or Compton, as in "Easy E"/NWA/"Westsiiiide" Compton, CA. :smt044

Good videos and posts, look forward to more of your stuff.

Domenic

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Great post, pics, and videos. I would like to see some more pics of the rigs that you use and maybe trade ideas. Abking stopped by the other day while I was melting some lead to pour in some herring pirk moulds I ordered from UK Hooks. They turned out brilliantly. I have a 150 and 300 gram mould, and turned out 3 dozen of each. I cant wait to try them out on bottom fish this year. I also have a Norwegian pirk mould coming also. Cant wait to plate and fish them. Looking forward to see more posts as the weather and season progress.

Tight lines from across the Pond.

If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much space!

anything