Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:03:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Do you brine tray bait before using?  (Read 4998 times)

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I read a few articles which recommended "toughening" bait before using by brining them. I have never done this and was wondering if anybody does. It was also unclear how long to brine them for. Thanks! Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
There's a few good brining tutorials buried in the archives of the old PFIC board. When I have a bit more time at work today I'll see if I can dig them up.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
From PFIC
*Note - Sinker had tried many different brining methods back then and he felt that salting gave the best results.

Posted by Sinker (and Pierhead?) on June 9, 2003
Curing Your Own Bait

ANCHOVIES
I like to use FRESH DEAD if at all possible but will also use frozen if need be. I have tried all kinds of salt and all different kind of methods and here is the best I have come up with.
Use non-iodized salt - I like rock salt for making ice-cream
I prefer a pan or large Tupperware container that has small holes in it (I drill them myself) to let the water drain off.
I lay a good base coat of salt then a layer of Anchovies so that they will be completely surrounded by salt, then another layer of salt then Anchovies and on and on till it full, then I put the lid on it to keep flies and bugs out.
I have found that different batches require different times but have not yet had any ready in less than 6 hours. Many times they are ready right around the 6-hour mark though I have had other batches that took almost a full day (especially when doing large Sardines).
The trick is to check them and get them the way you want. I like a full figured (for lack of a better term) Anchovy that does not look dehydrated or like a mummy.
When ready I take them out of the salt. Save the salt as it can be used over and over and over again - a lot more than three times.
Make sure you get all the salt off them, I often times will mix up some sugar-water to rinse them in, the sugar water seems to give them a nice shiny look. Now when I say rinse I am talking just a quick dunk that's it. Pat them dry with paper towels - I lay them out on paper towels and cover with more and continue to I have all Anchovies rinsed, then I turn them over and start packing them.
I like to pack them in the Zip Lock Snack Pack Bags - perfect for about 10 Anchovies per bag. This way you just take what you need and are not re-freezing Anchovies over and over again.
Experiment until you get the right texture and toughness you are looking for.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I've used lots of bags of chovies and end up throwing away the balance of a bag after the day's trolling more often than not.  This brining/salting sounds like a good method for getting more out of a $3 to $5 bag of bait, but I would caution that you're taking a chance of degrading a nice full-figured (lifelike) bait when you brine it.  Like Sinker says, don't let it get dehydrated like a mummy!

Chovie dreams should start any night now...   :smt007
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I do if I have left over bait that is in OK shape. Simple brine is all you really need. I've added some powdered milk and "blueing" the stuff you add to whites when you do laundry. I think its mrs smiths. Overnight in a cooler with some ice. I either lay them and vacuum seal with or without using a left over grocery store meat tray. I do it 5-7 bait packs. Nice to have on hand for a quick trip. I've saved many a day by making bait for the season. Somehow makes the day seem better
-Eric Berg

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I can see doin it to impregnate scent but really don't see a need to brine fresh tray bait, never had any problems with it going soft  :smt002
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I have this dried tuna blood that I use to add scent to the bait.  I bought a brine recently that smells like some familiar cooking spices that is supposed to stimulate bites..  Both products are made by Pro-Cure, but I havent used the latter.  I also have tried using a blue dye made by Pautzke.

While typing this I found this great info on brining and coloring bait.  http://blog.theoutdoorline.com/post/2012/03/23/Dual-Colored-Herring.aspx
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
For a nice looking long lasting firm bait here's what I do. Brine in a tupperware container I can fit in the yak hatch in the lap of my revo. Half fill with water. I put in a bit of Mrs. Stuart's blueing, (find it in the laundry section) (it gives the bait a great brightened blue color) a couple tablespoons of powdered milk (supposed to hold the scales better) and rocksalt. I stir it for a while to get the salt (preserves and toughens the baits) to disolve in the solution, then add the baits. If I want to use it soon I do this the night before, other wise it will last in your fridge for several weeks. Then when I want to fish I've got bait ready to go. Kinda like one of those tubs of power baits you see in the stores. If I don't use all the baits, they go back in the fridge. Some guys like to add scents too, but I stick with the natural. Figure they have enough of they're own....

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
For a nice looking long lasting firm bait here's what I do. Brine in a tupperware container I can fit in the yak hatch in the lap of my revo. Half fill with water. I put in a bit of Mrs. Stuart's blueing, (find it in the laundry section) (it gives the bait a great brightened blue color) a couple tablespoons of powdered milk (supposed to hold the scales better) and rocksalt. I stir it for a while to get the salt (preserves and toughens the baits) to disolve in the solution, then add the baits. If I want to use it soon I do this the night before, other wise it will last in your fridge for several weeks. Then when I want to fish I've got bait ready to go. Kinda like one of those tubs of power baits you see in the stores. If I don't use all the baits, they go back in the fridge. Some guys like to add scents too, but I stick with the natural. Figure they have enough of they're own....

that the recipe I use!
-Eric Berg

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Some guys will also add krill powder for salmon for an extra kick
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I put in a bit of Mrs. Stuart's blueing,
a couple tablespoons of powdered milk

How much is a bit? Per say a tray of chovies.
What king of powdered milk? Coffeemate works? :)
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy

Just regular powdered milk you can find in the grocery store Darius, a little bit of sea salt, and bluing agent is the brine formula.
It works well. Keep the bait cold in a hand cooler with some ice and you should be good to go all day.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

Just regular powdered milk you can find in the grocery store Darius, a little bit of sea salt, and bluing agent is the brine formula.
It works well. Keep the bait cold in a hand cooler with some ice and you should be good to go all day.

Thank you!! Good luck tomorrow, I was told one of my project manager will be off tomorrow no go for me.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Gator

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Can these chovies be used for rock fish and ling cod? If so how do you rig them up, do you thred them on or just use the 2 hooks & put one in the tale & one in the head? Sorry if this is a dumb? Just never fished chovies before.
Headwaters adventure Co. Fishing team.