Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Titan 12 in the ocean???  (Read 4286 times)

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
hi,

I currently have an OK prowler 12.  I am considering a pedal kayak and am between a native titan 12 or a Hobie outback. Does anyone in the native kayak section ever taken your native out to the ocean. Would you recommend it for ocean fishing and is it ideal for the salt?

Thanks Sonny.

Tinker

No info on the pedal kayaks you're interested in but contact me if you decide to sell the Prowler 12, please.

JonL

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Don't have any ocean experience,  but have taken my 13.5 in the bay for some 'butt fishing.  After experiencing a windy day at oyster point,  I realized it was not the ideal boat for those conditions.   The wind forecast was about 10-12mph gust but probably ended up being a constant 20-25mph .  Pedaling at a moderate/heavy pace against wind and chop with a lot of water splashing in my face and on top of the hull I averaged 1.2-1.5 mph, stopped I would go 1 mph the opposite direction.  Upgraded rudder is a must have as the factory rudder could not keep up in those conditions.  Being 2-3 miles out it definitely was a humbling experience.  As for the primary stability,  I THINK it has too much for ocean.  In big waves,  I can see myself being thrown from the seat.  Again,  this is from my experience with the titan 13.5. I initially bought the boat to fish lakes and the delta, and it's going to stay that way.  The biggest advantage for me is that I can take passenger(s) with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

'10 Hobie Revolution 13 Caribbean Blue -Sold-
'18 Hobie Oasis Ivory Dune
'14 Hobie A I Red Hibiscus

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm Ben.

I was out at Albion in the tiny boat, the Manta Ray Propel. My distributor was out in the Titan 12 at the Albion tournament and told me it was a rock solid platform. I would say it performs more like a PA12 than a Hobie Outback.

The Titan 12 has been our best seller in the Titan Series this year.  If you can handle the weight, it can handle what you throw at it.  It has resolved some of the leaking hatch issues that affected some of the Titan 13.5 owners.  It does not have the best speed in the world, and will probably be outpaced by an Outback.  It should be more maneuverable than the outback as its rudder position has been moved more mid ship than previous iterations.  It should also be more stable than an outback and provide you with some factory options that you wouldn't get in an OB like groovetrack along the side. 

The propel drive is ruggedly built and has a 2 year warranty - there were some quality control issues early this year in some of the drives but those have been fixed by now so if you buy a new one you should be set.  There is maintenance involved with the propel drive (like maintaining a bicycle), so be aware of that before you buy.  Some people recommend aftermarket rudder upgrades which can cost anywhere from $70-$200.  I am not 100% sure they're required on the Titan 12 yet.

I also recommend getting a weedguard or weed guardian for the propel drive - they are 3d printed shaft seals that go around the gap between the prop and the drive casing.  What that does is overall prevent weeds from wrapping around the prop shaft which generally requires pulling the drive and clearing it.  They're a huge improvement and well worth the ~$15 or so investment.

The only place to try one out is at Headwaters Kayak in Lodi - Dan's shop.  They'll be happy to demo one for you. 

Let me know if you have any questions.
-bmb

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My only real concern would be surf launching it into heavy conditions.  Plenty of people have been surf launching Hobie Pro Anglers, and they do fine. But with our boats, because of the heft and construction of the propel drive, if you were to flip then the drive could become a hazard or fall off the boat.  They're pretty much a 15lb hammer that could really hurt you if they hit you in the head in the surf zone.

Mild surf launch conditions or general saltwater use (even in a rough ocean), they'll be fine.  Just rinse after every trip and lube the drive maybe every 3 months instead of the half year schedule Native recommends.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:46:25 AM by bmb »

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I think it’s safe to say no 12 foot kayak is ideal in the ocean. They are on the lower edge of long enough. I used my Tarpon 120 in the salt for years. Now it is my freshwater kayak. I wouldn’t worry about it throwing you out of the seat though.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hi Tinker. I will definitely know if I sell the prowler but I’m located in the San Francisco Bay Area.

FishonJon, I have boat fished with friends out of oyster point and was considering the native out of there also.  In the mornings on some days I would attempt it when it’s “dead calm” but have been hesitant to go out in a kayak cause of the winds that come up so quickly.

Maybe the Hobies are better suited for the ocean but I really like that no hands reverse for black bass fishing on the natives.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
We (tlw&I) have Two propels, a Mariner 12.5 and a Slayer 13 , both handle the ocean fine and on bigger surf days I peddle in backwards and power forward over or through the waves that break... then reverse again. TLW don’t do the ocean but my son joins me from time to time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:40:26 AM by Mojo Jojo »

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges