Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Scupper 14 vs ScupPro  (Read 12245 times)

Hydrospider

I had been following Tim Niemier's and Swell Watercraft's newest evolution of the Scupper pro for over a year, and I had planned on purchasing the boat at the beginning of 2018.
 I was patient knowing that there are inevitable delays in projects like this. But now it's just sort of confusing. Tim is moving forward with something called "On water productions" and a boat called the ScupPro. The Swell Watercraft team are still sticking with the Scupper 14 but have added extras to the layout. The hulls look generally the same but its a bit confusing as to what is going on and how can I test paddle either or both boats.
Does anyone have any insight?

Early on, when they were working together, they were marketing that this was the fastest SOT ever.
Now I won't even pretend to know as much about hull design as Niemier, but I was skeptical that this shorter design with more rocker would be faster than the Scupper pro. Skeptical and excited to test and purchase.

Swell Wc has added some superficial junk, but there are a few things that I find some minor value in and its a TW boat.
Tim Niemier's incarnation is a DH boat and I am at a point in my paddling where this might be the option that tips the scales for me.  I used to paddle a Tarpon 160 DH and have wanted to return to that style and tackle some bigger hydrology.

As of now, I just want a chance to paddle either boat.

Is there anyone here following this odd split closely? or have any insight as to what happened?
Both companies Facebook pages have a lot of the same photos. Confusing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:30:38 PM by Hydrospider »

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I just got back from visiting Joe Gonzales aka the spaniard up in Washington. He is friends with Tim. I asked him whats up. He said Tims business partner took over the scupper 14 project and took it to swell watercraft. Sounded like Tim wasn't happy about it. I too, have been waiting to test them out and buy. I am leaning towards a tank well design.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Nothing to contribute, but I’ve been following this story too. I thought the Swell version looked perfect for norcal offshore.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
is that green one the 14?
Me likey. I dig the big front hatch.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I would like to give the Scupper14 a paddle. Looks fast.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
They're still tweeking the mold...   That's being smart.    Should be soon !
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Hydrospider

I might need both, but definitely the DH.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Interesting read, and the link to the forum had a lot of information. I would love to see one of these.  A fast fishing boat would be nice.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Hydrospider

Had a conversation with Tim Neimier this weekend. He is not moving forward with the ScupPro.
There is a chance that there is a rough proto available.
 Im still interested in the hull and since there is only one super scupper now, choosing the right one isn't as challenging.

Hydrospider

After making some room on the rack and a short conversation with the nice folks at Swell...

Add To Cart.

Sounds like they are interested in whether or not I am able to roll it too.
I ordered the naked version so Ill need to rig attachment points for straps as well as whatever fishing junk I decide to add this winter.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:51:33 PM by Hydrospider »

cam3087

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Someone on Facebook market in the sac sf area is selling these new versions of swell scupper pro for cheap. Might want to check that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2nd Place 2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars IV

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Someone on Facebook market in the sac sf area is selling these new versions of swell scupper pro for cheap. Might want to check that out

So I don't know for sure, but I heard that there was a redesign in the top deck of the Swell Scupper.  I wonder if these are older "first gen" designs.  If anyone is thinking about getting one of these, it probably pays to ask so you know what you're getting.

-Allen

Hydrospider

I need to thank SlackedTide for finding and posting the stripers online link.
That was interesting and helpful and there was a pretty good review that followed.

So I don't know for sure, but I heard that there was a redesign in the top deck of the Swell Scupper.  I wonder if these are older "first gen" designs.  If anyone is thinking about getting one of these, it probably pays to ask so you know what you're getting.

-Allen

Allen, you're correct, the boat has continued to evolve and I was tempted to wait for the next gen.
I decided to go ahead since I have been so interested/excited to see what I can do with this boat.
When I was speed testing different SOTs I spent some solid time on the scupper pro. I really enjoyed the glide but I knew that I had to have one when I was in the disco racing a scupper pro and got torched.
I was faster in the Disco than the Tarpon 160 with a younger and stronger paddler, so I knew this hull was something that I was ready to invest in.

Swell states that this boat is faster than the scupper pro.

I was stoked when I read that CAM3087 had seen the boats on the Facebook market.
I think I may have found the ones that he was referring to in Vacaville.
They are the Swell version, not Neimiers proto  (dual hatch) scupPro.
I was hoping that there was a early version dual hatch in the OD GREEN, but not to be.

Thanks again of the help here.  Expecting the boat in a few weeks, then Ill strip down and go to work.

Vacaville boats

anything