Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New to the forums but not fishing! :)  (Read 1790 times)

OhSnap

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hello, my name is Kara and I'm a CO native now trapped in CA for my career and making the most out of the coast line while I'm here.

Though I was raised on fresh water fishing, I'm getting quite the kick from the saltwater adventures and recently invested in a nice 10ft ocean kayak to keep my collection of crab pots and poles company.

Still trying to learn how to pull in the bigger fish and working up the stamina to travel out to deeper waters, but so far I've had a good haul with rock fishes and dungies around the HMB and Capitola areas.

I absolutely love Catfish and miss the fight of chasing down a jug on the run. So any leads for good lakes in the north CA area (I'm located near San Jose) are always appreciated!

Ocean Kayak Tetra 10 Angler
Lowrance Sonar (still trying to learn how to use this thing)

Always up for crabbing, poke poling or just picking up rock fish in the Capitola kelp beds. Feel free to PM if you're setting up a trip!

Rider

• Sea Lion
  • It's all about the experience
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
WTTM Kara and NCKA. Hope to fish the salt with ya sometime
#fuckyourfeelings #dontbeadick #whatadick

surfingdude

• Salmon
  • Silence is golden and duck tape is silver
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Welcome ...Oh I miss the nights catching big cats on the James river in VA.,.
http://www.catfishingva.com/

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Lafayette reservior in July to September. Check out anglers edge for fishing reports for the other east bay lakes. I hate catfish and fishing bait in general so not the best source of info but I have seen some impressive cats from LR.  Personally I would hit HMB till the end of the month. Capitola is sharky so I would not fish that area alone. Welcome.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:36:57 AM by Great Bass 2 »
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Shadow cliffs on hot summer mornings is a cat factory.
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

OhSnap

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Lafayette reservior in July to September. Check out anglers edge for fishing reports for the other east bay lakes. I hate catfish and fishing bait in general so not the best source of info but I have seen some impressive cats from LR.  Personally I would hit HMB till the end of the month. Capitola is sharky so I would not fish that area alone. Welcome.

A close friend suggested Lafayette Reservoir previously too, I'll have to check that place out! Do you know if they allow kayaks out on the water and overnight tent camping?

I haven't seen any sharks in Capitola, just a few dolphins, otters and too many seals. Guess I might be lucky.

Always up for crabbing, poke poling or just picking up rock fish in the Capitola kelp beds. Feel free to PM if you're setting up a trip!

OhSnap

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Shadow cliffs on hot summer mornings is a cat factory.

Where's this place at? I wouldn't mind filling out my deep freezer for the winter. :)

OhSnap

• Sardine
  • View Profile

I do group fishing trips often with other kayakers and poke poling trips along the coast. If you ever are planning a trip hit me up!

LifeisGood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011

I do group fishing trips often with other kayakers and poke poling trips along the coast. If you ever are planning a trip hit me up!

No experience in poke poling but love to join you if you know where to go.  Please PM me and let me know what I need to purchase, thanks :smt001

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Welcome to NCKA!

A lot of the East Bay park lakes such as Quarry, Shadowcliffs, and Del Valle have catfish.  Not sure if you're into bass fishing, but I'd avoid going to Santa Clara county lakes, they have too many jetskis, wakeboarders, etc that make it difficult to fish on a kayak.  Good luck.

No experience in poke poling but love to join you if you know where to go.  Please PM me and let me know what I need to purchase, thanks :smt001

Chester, all you need is a long bamboo pole or an old fishing rod you don't use and just break off the eyes.  Tie a thick gauge wire loop at the end to tie your hooks to and you're set!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:06:03 AM by SmokeOnTheWater »
If you ain't first, you're last.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard and to the madness Kara  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

LifeisGood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Welcome to NCKA!

A lot of the East Bay park lakes such as Quarry, Shadowcliffs, and Del Valle have catfish.  Not sure if you're into bass fishing, but I'd avoid going to Santa Clara county lakes, they have too many jetskis, wakeboarders, etc that make it difficult to fish on a kayak.  Good luck.

Chester, all you need is a long bamboo pole or an old fishing rod you don't use and just break off the eyes.  Tie a thick gauge wire loop at the end to tie your hooks to and you're set!

Won - I got that just wondering if they have some other tricks/methods.  We should heading down to Big Sur for that, don't even bother to bring the yak along, sometime this summer would be good.  Camp at Plaskitte campground.

Tamster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Welcome to NCKA!

Won - I got that just wondering if they have some other tricks/methods.  We should heading down to Big Sur for that, don't even bother to bring the yak along, sometime this summer would be good.  Camp at Plaskitte campground.

WELCOME TO NCKA!!  :smt003

Chester, if you ever want to go. me and Smokeonthewater done it before, its alot of fun! you will like it!!  :smt044 :smt003
Keep them lines tight for a great fight!

Hobie Revolution 13

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Lafayette has no camping, neither does Shadow Cliffs. Shadow Cliffs is in Pleasanton, no inspection, easy launch.

Lafayette has inspections and a pain in the ass launch. However, a nightcrawler under a bobber is effective for cats on the West side of the lake. Fishing next to the tower is also good for cats.

Shadow Cliffs is an old quarry, crystal clear water and very clean cats. I've had wide open days there in the middle of summer. Chicken livers. East side of the lake has been my go to spot.
Check out this link.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=40307.msg437829#msg437829
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:25:01 PM by Jeffo »
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile

I haven't seen any sharks in Capitola, just a few dolphins, otters and too many seals. Guess I might be lucky.

Almost a year ago to the day... http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=39329.0
In terms of sharkiness:
#1 Bean Hollow/Pigeon Point
#2 Cambria
#3 Santa Cruz/Capitola
#4 Tomales & Big Sur
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament