Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:58:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:35:28 PM]

[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

[Today at 09:28:09 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 03:55:19 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 12:52:23 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trout Lures  (Read 10646 times)

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Does anybody have better success using flashers / dodgers while trolling?  Lets say within 30 ft depth. 

Of course there is that aspect of it as well. So we know Clayman kills it with jigging, that's a given.  :smt001

And of course the flasher/dodger combos. When I am trolling with a down rigger I prefer lighter  gear. Especially the floating rapalas because I like trolling near bottom at about 20/25 feet of water to prevent snags. If not using down riggers I prefer heavier lures. There are also lures I prefer casting from shore that are less likely to snag bottom but with slower retrieves can be moved up and down the water column.

The Bouyant is one of my favorites when casting from shore as well as the jake.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:29:01 AM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
BTW.

That is one beautiful fish there Clayman. I would definitely have to practice my catch and release here locally so I would not have such a hard time releasing one of those beauties .
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
What? No one is using tiny jig heads with dark marabou bodies? They kill.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
What? No one is using tiny jig heads with dark marabou bodies? They kill.

Can you post a pic Mako ? Always interested in trying new gear and technique's since all I really know is trolling lures or power bait .   :smt003  Sounds like you and Clayman use more the jigging style. Guess I need to start reading up on jigging !

Alex
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:53:04 AM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
What about flies under a casting bubble. That kills too!!

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile

I have friends who kill um at baum lake with that style.

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
So as you can tell I am a little pumped about trout fishing right now. When I mentioned trolling for trout with a downrigger that was with my aluminum.
So here is a pic of my humble 1st attempt at a downrigger for my yak until I upgrade.  :smt001 Should get me by with the shallower lakes nearby.

A vintage rod I saved and vintage reel my wife gave to me. I have them raised high so that I have comfort for the hobie peddles ., The reel seems to be at a good level for winding. Of course wont know exactly until I try.

Alex
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:13:43 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile

I have friends who kill um at baum lake with that style.

Alex

Last time I fished Baum lake ..late winter used a Kastmater in this pattern, smallest one I had ..killed them up there

When I was at courtright reservoir a few months back, I think I missed the boat by using too big a lure. When I stopped kayaking and pulled up on the bank for some shore fishing with my dad. You could see good sized trout just passing by about 10 to 15 feet off the bank paying no mind to peoples attempt at catching them. I did notice that a few shore anglers were casting bubbles with flies. Still no takers either.

No one has posted up my lure that caught trout at shadow cliffs last week. It is a original old time favorite !
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:03:37 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

MotherLoad

1. Red and gold speedy shiner

2. White or Chartruese grub, or gulp minnow with an action disk in front. (28" liter of 8lb test flouro with a barrel swivel on one end and a gamikatsu bait holder on the grub end) this one works great for me on lakes with planters as well as holdover trout. I typically run it on lead core or a downrigger. Top lines at lakes like almanor after the lake has turned over and the fish are on top.

3. Trolled flies on sinking line. I like to double them up with a larger fly trailed by something really small. Many different combinations depending on where you are fishing. I like j-fair wiggle tails, bead head wooly buggers, and a variety of nymphs. This set up works great in small lakes with native fish populations (especially on Browns and brookies)

Last but not least, Lucky Craft Pointer.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
1. Red and gold speedy shiner

2. White or Chartruese grub, or gulp minnow with an action disk in front. (28" liter of 8lb test flouro with a barrel swivel on one end and a gamikatsu bait holder on the grub end) this one works great for me on lakes with planters as well as holdover trout. I typically run it on lead core or a downrigger. Top lines at lakes like almanor after the lake has turned over and the fish are on top.

3. Trolled flies on sinking line. I like to double them up with a larger fly trailed by something really small. Many different combinations depending on where you are fishing. I like j-fair wiggle tails, bead head wooly buggers, and a variety of nymphs. This set up works great in small lakes with native fish populations (especially on Browns and brookies)

Last but not least, Lucky Craft Pointer.

Trolled flies on sinking line. I like to double them up with a larger fly trailed by something really small.

Think I really would like to try this with a small tear drop flasher I have.  :smt007
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

VK

Clear plastic bobber with fly , A.K.A. "Okie Rig"

Caples Lake afternoon set up : clear plastic bobber 1/2 filled with water.. 2-4 #flouro leader 24-36" w/ grasshopper or cricket "fly"

:smt002

MotherLoad

So as you can tell I am a little pumped about trout fishing right now. When I mentioned trolling for trout with a downrigger that was with my aluminum.
So here is a pic of my humble 1st attempt at a downrigger for my yak until I upgrade.  :smt001 Should get me by with the shallower lakes nearby.

A vintage rod I saved and vintage reel my wife gave to me. I have them raised high so that I have comfort for the hobie peddles ., The reel seems to be at a good level for winding. Of course wont know exactly until I try.

Alex

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=39695.msg430206#msg430206

Your DIY DR looks like it will work fine to me. If you end up experiencing performance issues and still want to try a home-made version, save the reel and try the version i made a few years back...still holding up nicely and getting far more use than my Cannon...it's just easier.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile

Alex

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=39695.msg430206#msg430206

Your DIY DR looks like it will work fine to me. If you end up experiencing performance issues and still want to try a home-made version, save the reel and try the version i made a few years back...still holding up nicely and getting far more use than my Cannon...it's just easier.

Sweet set up and nice pics of the koke candy .   :smt007

Please post a hook up for New Melone's koke chase.   :smt006

Thanks for the reply Dtizz .

Have had some luck with these little fatties. Think I found them at walmart ??  They have rattles in them as well.
Alex
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:24:01 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Kastmaster (silver/blue on clear days, gold on cloudy days)

Panther Martin- any gold/black variation seems to do the trick

For small mountain streams, I really like tossing the smallest size rooster tail - black body, silver blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newyakr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'm certainly no threat to the trout population, but I've had some success trolling needle fish and a wooly booger a friend made for me behind a 1/2 ounce egg sinker.

anything