General > Craftsmen's Corner

Downrigger - pick the photo where you would mount (and why??)

(1/4) > >>

fishi:
NewB to downrigging, and pedal drive.  I have 4 locations that I think make sense for mounting my Scotty downrigger.  I want it removable.  Where would you mount - A, B, C or D?  Or other location?  I think 'D' works best.

I am right handed, does that matter?
Best to have it slightly behind (out of the way)?
Best to have it beside (right next to me)?
Best to have it in front of me (slight lean to deal with it)?

yakyakyak:

If you are considering A, C, and D, keep in mind if it's in the way in case you need to re-enter.  I vote B, but be careful when you turn around (don't lean too much).  A would be the next choice (for portability). 

Personally, I would never consider D.  Would C be bad for netting a fish? Only you will know ....

Edit:
B on your 1st set of pics, E or C on your 2nd pic.  A would be the next choice.

crash:
Will the base fit in the cup holder?  If it does I'd put it there.

fishi:
I am willing to mod, CUP holder ok, and yea I would think some kind of jigging/rigging would make a fit into the cup holder.
I should have attached a full view  -  responses so far, good points that accessible, not in the way.
Perhaps one of the rod holders? 
I have not taken this vessel out yet, tomorrow, and will before doing any mounting - this advice much appreciated!!

Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry:
A
As far forward as you can comfortably reach.  Your cranking arm will thank you.  You'll also be able to easily see when the weight bounces on the bottom and immediately pedal/paddle faster to quickly lift the weight through drag. 
While mocking up a rig, also sit in the kayak with your rod and attach it to the downrigger.  You'll want the right placement in relationship to the downrigger so you can keep the bent rod in front of you and able to watch it when you get strikes that don't trip the line. 

Replace the steel cable with braided fishing line for a safety feature.  If you line snags or hangs up on anything drifting past you, you can cut the braid with a knife quickly.  Also, the mono will be thinner than the steel and have less drag cutting though the water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version