General > Craftsmen's Corner

Plug building

(1/13) > >>

racer414:
After my Pyramid trip in April, I had several people suggest I try trolling some Lyman lures for the big Cutts. Well, after some research I found out they are no longer made and the more popular colors are difficult to find...

This dilemma sparked an interest in me building my own plugs. So, I continued my research on what it would take for me to build a similar product. A simple google search yielded salwaterplugs.com, which in my opinion is one of the better places I've found that has the necessary supplies to build pretty much whatever you want. (they don't carry hardware for smaller plugs however)

I also had to decide if I wanted to paint the lures myself or send them out. I have sent out a couple in the past and as I recall they were fairly expensive, along with taking quite awhile to receive. So I went on youtube for some tutorials and to my surprise it didn't seem all that difficult to paint. I managed to find an Iwata airbrush with a compressor and a bunch of paint on craigslist for $120. And with some old beat up lures I've found over the years, I started practicing a few patterns.

List of supplies:

wood - Alaskan yellow cedar
screw eyes - standard and heavy duty
swivels - Rosco Crane, various sizes
hooks - Owner, various sizes
split rings - heavy duty
Epoxy - Bob Smith
Sealer - Helmsman Spar urethane
Painting supplies - Iwata dual action airbrush w/ createx paints

Heres a few pics to show where I'm at so far. I'm still waiting on a burr that I will use to cut the cup shape in the face of the lure.

Also, I plan to make some thru-wire topwater lures since I ordered way more wood than I should have. More to come...

racer414:
Sorry bout the rotated pics..damn iphone

Herb Superb:
Wow, that's pretty good craftsmanship right there

Codzilla:
Damn those look great !!! Might have to dust off my lathe !

Tote:
VERY impressive!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version