Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: CDPH Warns Not to Eat Sport-Harvested Bivalve Shellfish from Sonoma County  (Read 928 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
March 14, 2018

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) is advising consumers not to eat recreationally harvested mussels, clams or whole scallops from Sonoma County. Dangerous levels of paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) toxins have been detected in mussels from this area. The naturally occurring PSP toxins can cause illness or death in humans. Cooking does not destroy the toxin.

This warning does not apply to commercially sold clams, mussels, scallops or oysters from approved sources. State law permits only state-certified commercial shellfish harvesters or dealers to sell these products. Shellfish sold by certified harvesters and dealers are subject to frequent mandatory testing to monitor for toxins.

PSP toxins affect the central nervous system, producing a tingling around the mouth and fingertips within a few minutes to a few hours after eating toxic shellfish. These symptoms are typically followed by loss of balance, lack of muscular coordination, slurred speech and difficulty swallowing. In severe poisonings, complete muscular paralysis and death from asphyxiation can occur.

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Blammo.  Called that one the other day, after Marin shut down.  Thanks Hojo

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Bummer.  Been following this on the local news.  Was planning on clamming this month but will have to postpone.  Hopefully this doesn't last too long.

Fiver

• Enlightened Soul
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
So let me get this straight--- These symptoms are typically followed by loss of balance, lack of muscular coordination, slurred speech.

So basically eat poison mussel and turn into Andy? :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

lazyhook

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Bummer.  Been following this on the local news.  Was planning on clamming this month but will have to postpone.  Hopefully this doesn't last too long.

You can always hope, but I would expect it might last a while.  Shellfish gets closed pretty much every summer for this, but middle of March is much earlier than typical.  The classic warning/no-take period is "months without R"  meaning May-August.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

You can always hope, but I would expect it might last a while.  Shellfish gets closed pretty much every summer for this, but middle of March is much earlier than typical.  The classic warning/no-take period is "months without R"  meaning May-August.

You need to call the quarantine hotline before harvesting. You cannot rely on months with no "R" rule.

1-800-553-4133
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:18:38 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
Be safe out there fellas, looks like someone already had a bad day because of this:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/bayarea/article/marin-bay-area-toxic-shellfish-mussels-poisoning-12752004.php

"In the last 90 years, California state statistics say there have been 542 reported illnesses and 39 deaths due to paralytic shellfish poison."

And we're worried about GWS attacks.

Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

lazyhook

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

You need to call the quarantine hotline before harvesting. You cannot rely on months with no "R" rule.

1-800-553-4133

Always good advice to check the latest on the hotline at any point during the year.

The point of my noting the classic advice was in reference to whether the closure is likely to be lifted anytime soon, not that it's the ONLY advice and always reliable.  During the summer months I don't even bother checking and just assume the shellfish quarantine is in place.  Last year the quarantine in Sonoma county actually lasted until the middle of January.

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Last year the quarantine in Sonoma county actually lasted until the middle of January.

This year as well.  Was open for about 7 weeks or so? 

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile

1-800-553-4133

Always good advice to check the latest on the hotline at any point during the year.

The point of my noting the classic advice was in reference to whether the closure is likely to be lifted anytime soon, not that it's the ONLY advice and always reliable.  During the summer months I don't even bother checking and just assume the shellfish quarantine is in place. Last year the quarantine in Sonoma county actually lasted until the middle of January.

For Mussels maybe but you said shellfish.

"Shellfish" covers a broad spectrum and there are various quarantines for clams, scallops, crabs, mussels etc.
These various quarantines are year around and vary throughout California.

Like you mentioned in your first sentence its best to call the number and be safe.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:28:32 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »

yatzmail@yahoo.com

This warning does not apply to commercially sold clams, mussels, scallops or oysters from approved sources. State law permits only state-certified commercial shellfish harvesters or dealers to sell these products. Shellfish sold by certified harvesters and dealers are subject to frequent mandatory testing to monitor for toxins.

Weird aren't the commercially sold shellfish harvested from the same water in TBay? My buddy and I saw the posted warnings at Nick's Cove launch.

anything