Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Gear Tracks from Yak Attack  (Read 3628 times)

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I put them on my kayak, I got the 4" tracks and have them near the tank well. They are more expensive then other options, but the quality is the best.

Do they have a longer section? And do the 1" RAM ball attachment?

Yes they come in 4", 8", 12"and 16". The 1" Ram ball will fit on it.

thx victor....choices, choices.
-Eric Berg

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I'd lean heavily towards some serious backing plates.  It's all a matter of leverage.  7-8' long pole applying torque to a 1.75" wide base secured on plastic.   :smt012

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I'd lean heavily towards some serious backing plates.  It's all a matter of leverage.  7-8' long pole applying torque to a 1.75" wide base secured on plastic.   :smt012

While the backing plate on the inside of the hull may offer some rigidity, i'd be more concerned about the stress point on the one screw that joins the adapter to the track...
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I agree with that one.  The engineering stresses involved are very high however stuff like line stretch and rod flex reduce this greatly.  I'd be very concerned with a stiff rod, tight drag and braided line.

LipRipper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
I also have the Gt-90 rail and I was informed that the stainless hardware on the extruded rail will corrode pretty quick if you dont apply Tef-Gel to the stainless screws. I will be pulling it apart and reapplying also with some Dow Corning Silicon Sealant.

newfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
I have both.  On my yellow Revo, I put 4 flush mount Scotty holders.  I used to carry my kayak upside down on Yakima racks.  The only problem, was that I somehow lost a cap.

With the Gear Trac, you will have to be careful carrying your kayak upside down.

When I got my blue Revo, I decided to put the GT-90s on.  I put the 16" ones on.  I wasn't sure if I needed ones that long, but I decided to go with them just in case.

The Gear Tracs are much easier to put on than the Scotty flush mounts.  The 16" tracs seem pretty secure to me.  There are 9 screws holding it down.  I did not use the backing plate.

I'm not sure, but I think with the Mighty Mounts and the Scotty mount, it would be good for the Scotty Lake Troller.

I just put them on and haven't used them yet, so I don't have any actual performance data yet.

macha

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
thanks for all the information and photos guys.  reading this in 2018 and still finding much value.   :smt006

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I agree with that one.  The engineering stresses involved are very high however stuff like line stretch and rod flex reduce this greatly.  I'd be very concerned with a stiff rod, tight drag and braided line.

This ^^^^^.  Drag has to be reasonably lose, otherwise the track may flex and your gear may pop out.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels