Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Coosa FD  (Read 15924 times)

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
looks like a brown plant?
I was thinking brooks but I think you are correct with browns. Which is odd I thought they were not planting anymore browns.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I thought brooks too because of the white tips on the fins.  I was thinking about taking the kids out today or tomorrow. That is pretty much what I was catching. Might grab my 3wt glass and go have some fun.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I thought brooks too because of the white tips on the fins.  I was thinking about taking the kids out today or tomorrow. That is pretty much what I was catching. Might grab my 3wt glass and go have some fun.
I'm ordering a 3wt today   :smt001
Thinking brown since I didn't notice any blue halos or lines on the backs.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Definitely brown trout. Interesting development...hmmmmm
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Even if not planting browns the could be spawning there. Brown for sure.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Update: So finally got to Headwaters Kayak today and had the out landing gear on the FD. Thanks to them as I sure wasn't confident enough to be messing with it. So after several outings the boat is heavy. It's stable. The rudder is horrible and I am looking at possible improvements. I average about 3 mph leisurely pedaling with the medium pitch. The rod holder that comes with it sucks without an extension. I can toss one of my kids On the back and the fish for me so I can do my best driving miss daisy impersonations. I watched headwaters new video tonight on the 3 boats and Can mentioned the seat being comfortable. At first I agree but after some long sessions i think it needs a lumbar pad and I still think the stock pedals at trash. The boat handles sales with easy as well. I am very happy overall with my purchase. I have spoke to Jackson on several occasions and every time was an enjoyable experience. Hope this update helps.

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
After hours and hours in the Coosa on different waters I thought I'd share my experiences and point of view on various things.

The Coosa has potential. It's a good boat overall but it's certainly not without issue. I've had it in 8ft swell with chop on top , hard pushing current and the flattest calmest water known to man. I typically fish for 8+ hours and travel quite a bit during those times.

I'll start with the positives. The hull, like most jackson kayaks is great. Super stable, well designed and a pleasure to work with. The tracks work well and gives you plenty of options to mount stuff. I am not one of these guys with 15 rod holders, lights, cup holders and a 7" side scan display but I do like having the option of re-positioning stuff when I am out there and change my fishing style. The seat, again like most jacksons is super comfy and easy to do a whole day in without getting fidgety. The seat tracks work well for positioning, I have to admit though, I've never seen a reason to mount the seat in the low position. The boat is stable in any condition, if someone found this thing unstable I'd probably wonder about their suitability for kayaking. I've stood up in the kayak countless times in 5+ft swell to take my wet-suit off without issue. The underseat tray works well for low profile storage of minor items. It can be a bit difficult but it's way better than nothing. With the addition of a tray insert, the front hatch is very functional and easily accessible on the water. Without the tray the boat would be sadly lacking on storage for such a large boat. I will always miss the kraken center console storage though ;). IMO, the tray insert should have been provided and probably will in the future. Although I can access the rear hatch on the water, I'd advise not to do so as you may find yourself practicing self recovery. The drive system is very functional when working correctly (see below). Hands free, instant reverse is such an under-rated bonus over any Hobie. It's come in so useful for me for staying on spot, avoiding kayak collisions and general gloating that I have instant reverse ;). The retractable drive gives you a worry free peddle through the shallows.

The Jackson Warranty is hands down the best warranty I have ever encountered in any product. Brandon Brown, you know who you are and anyone who's ever had a Jackson claim learn to appreciate that name.

OK, here are my gripes. No, weight is not one of them. Anyone who complains about weight on this boat should have picked it up before they bought it. That's like buying a V8 truck and saying it's shit on gas. It is what it is. It's heavy but with good reason. Hell, go pick up a PA then complain about the Coosa. The weight is manageable and you learn to live with it (so do your friends!). My #1 complaint is the rudder. I'm sorry but that has to be the dumbest design in any kayaks, ever. A semi-permanent rudder that just simply sucks. It doesn't track well due to a really shallow draft and has slop which every coosa owner has tried to over come and is constantly in the way when loading and unloading. I am now at the stage where I simply don't care about it. I grind that thing every time I load and unload. Learning the replacement was only $25ish was my ticket to do this. Please, give us a retractable rudder that has some draft to it!
#2 is the drive. Now if this worked as intended there would be no complaints but it doesn't. To put things is perspective I am on my 2nd upper drive and my 3rd lower drive. I've broken s sheer pin paddling up a wave, had oil leaking out of the upper, had obvious issues with manufacturing tolerances in the lower, had bolts installed by manufacturer back out and cause failure etc. It's been a journey but I believe now I am at the point where everything is functioning as it should. The nice thing about all this is that Jackson have been 100% behind their product and getting me sorted out along the way.
#3 is the rudder again.

The Coosa is a solid boat. I've landed tons of fish in it, peddled miles and miles in wind, current, chop and big swell. If the rudder was improved and they figure out the issues with the drive (which all seem minor and just like teething problems) I think this boat would be so much better.

I knew when I bought this boat I was headed into uncharted waters. It's been a journey but I am pretty happy with it.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Well at least my drive seems good. What pitch do you usually run in Lingling?

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Aggressive. I just switched to stock, medium though.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Any reason in particular? I was debating on dropping to low so I could troll without having to pedal so slow. Have you noticed much difference between the stock and aggressive? I don't want to waste my time if we are only talking a tenth of an mph difference.

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Any reason in particular? I was debating on dropping to low so I could troll without having to pedal so slow. Have you noticed much difference between the stock and aggressive? I don't want to waste my time if we are only talking a tenth of an mph difference.

There certainly a difference in cadence to maintain your desired speed. I actually prefer stock over aggressive. I never found aggressive hard to peddle but I seem to have more control and it's easier to peddle slower with the stock setting. Also with aggressive and peddling fast I found my peddle stroke wasn't smooth at all. The peddles felt like individual strokes rather than a circular motion.