Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is Down Imaging worthwhile in a cheaper unit?  (Read 1776 times)

FolsomFishing

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
It's important to note which models will allow you to turn off the DS, when I was recently looking at FF I didn't realize that you couldn't turn it off.  I finally settled on wanting the HB 597 ci hd di combo. GPS, ds and regular sonar all in one unit.  You can turn on the di, run both, or just regular.  It also depends on what kind of fishing you mainly do. If your a bass/structure guy then I say go DS all the way. If not then its probably a nice to have, but not a must.

Me personally I'd save up a couple hundred bucks more and get one with DS/non-DS and GPS. Then your set. 

I have a garmin color model and haven't had a problem reading the screen in bright sun.  It has other color modes that are supposed to be easier to read in the sun but I've never used them yet. I'm in my 40's and have bad vision as well and reading is starting to go too!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:09:58 AM by FolsomFishing »

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
One thing to keep in mind with downscan.  Inline traditional sounders that shoot in a cone, downscan is a thin scan "line".  Fish can be seen but it won't show in an arch like most are used to.  The larger units like the Elite 7 allow you to overlay standard broadband sounder with the downscan for the ultimate in sounder technology.  The elite 4 & 5 are great for the Delta and areas you mentioned.  In go with a downscan model in those areas and not look back ... Personally.  You can also get either model with or without gps to save some $ if you have a hh gps already.

Bill

Derrick A2H

• Addicted2TheHook
  • Sea Lion
  • Release your trophies, share them with the youth.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
What if u run the dsi sonar sideways to run a long line  of what ur going over instead of a skinny line under u
Team Central Coast Kayak Fishing

Realisticwraps
 FINS Fishing
Phenix Rods

2013 CCKF AOTY 1st place
2012 GS6 Biggest Fish

2015 Outback Dune

http://www.centralcoastkayakfishing.com/

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
It has been suggested that the marine software for my handheld is not current and therefore not recommended. I guess I will have to save up and get a combo unit. Thanks for the help. Ken
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

sigelvictory

• Sea Lion
  • ahem, did you not get the memo?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
It has been suggested that the marine software for my handheld is not current and therefore not recommended. I guess I will have to save up and get a combo unit. Thanks for the help. Ken

You won't be sorry.  Having the GPS right there in a waterproof unit that is securely mounted to your kayak is the way to go.  I ended up using my hand held far less often than I should have because it was always nice and safe in my plano box. 
Never trust a man that doesnt like to fish...

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
The dsi is a thin line at a fairly wide (nearly 50 degrees) angle.  Rather than a cone, imagine it as a thin section of the cone.  Ie thin "line".  Works VERY well.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
At this point I am leaning towards the Humminbird 581i HD DI Combo FishFinder. My vision is not all that great and I hope the larger screen will help. Although maybe I should not assume that the screen is easier to read, but may be just as difficult only with wider coverage. Anyone with first hand knowledge on improved readability for the larger screen?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Larger screen is always better, in my opinion.  Quite happy with my 7".  The 5" is a great unit though.  I just went 7" so I could split 3 ways and still read it or go 2 ways and basically have the same as 2 of the 4" units.