Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: HOW @ Shadow 5/3/13  (Read 2070 times)

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Just a couple NCKA and Kathy from Delta adventures got over 20 vets on the water...

Thanks to Ben, Scott, Kathy and Raydon for getting it done...

(I know ya had to leave Raydon, but you were still there... :smt004)

Totally beat from yesterday, The organizer of the event, Veterans Flyfishing, only wanted a small presence of HOW, but I knew we would be popular, and we were...  I basically had to man the dock and keep the vets kool while they waited to be rotated on the water... little hectic at first, but it all it worked out and everyone that wanted to get out, got out, really loved it and was very appreciative to what ya all did.

The Fly fishing event was pretty kool... they had a substantial trout plant trapped by a net and the vets were on fish all day...  Scott and Ben picked up the slack there too and started getting the vets on fish with fly gear, and showing them how it's done, good form Ben!!!

I did not get many pics or testimonials as I was pretty busy, but I did get to talk to one Vietnam Vet. It was his first time on a kayak, he really loved it and wants to get one. He was very communicative, laughing talking smack to me and the other vets...  Here it comes...

The lead therapist comes over to me and thanks us for what we did and then tells me how unusual it was to see the vet I was talking to, open up. Appears he is usually, very quite and does not say much to anyone...

there ya go, wish we could get that on some sort of research paper....

The Vets left, and so did most of the volunteers, the pen was lowered and then another amazing thing happened...

Ben and I got out on the water on our yaks and started to have the non stop action of recently planted trout... pretty awesome seeing schools of fish under your yak and then catching them...  it was then I saw a huge carp under my yak, guessing between 30 to 40"...  except this one is closing in behind the planters and checking them out... the water is extremely clear and then I make out a lateral line that is about 3" wide...  It's a LMB...  got to be close to or over 20lbs... beautiful. not gerthy at all, just a Big LMB checking which trout he was going to slam...

Then here comes a kid ( probably 13 ) on a bike with fishing gear... he asked if we caught anything and we tell him whats going on... he starts casting from shore and is killing them... gets on his cell phone and calls his buds, they come screaming in on their bikes and it's on... talking smack to each other and just having a great time... totally would remind any of us of some of our best days as young ins, getting on fish with our buds...

pretty kool...  then another kool thing...  there was a hispanic father and son on the dock witnessing all of this, but they were not catching fish... the son must have been 4 or so and he was just going crazy looking at the fish in the water wanting to catch one... 

Ben docked up and helped them out, put some time into them and got the kid on fish...

Pretty Awesome and just reaffirms why I love this group so much....

Thanks NCKA....

If the world was more like you, the world would be a better place...  :smt004

And GB2... Rona B. said to say thank you as I guess your really helping them out...  and of course she was impressed with your cat...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:42:49 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
A few more pics to complete the story...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:03:02 PM by Danglin »

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

wlshafor

• Salmon
  • Warren
  • View Profile Colorblind Designs
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Beautiful!

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Way to go guys! Thanks for the help this time.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thank you Don and all of you guys for a job well done.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

pao

Hooyah!  Well done.

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Well done y'all. Looked like a fun day for the vets. We had a catfishing event here in Texas and because of our wierd weather the water cooled 7 degrees during the week turning off the bite. The group was able to get a few around 3-6 pounds. The best part was the lunch....down home southern fish fry from our host. Deep fried catfish with hushpuppies, fries and onion rings. I need a stent!!!  :smt003 Next weeks outing here in Texas is Frito Lays corporate bass pond. Gonna be fun
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice job fellas!

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well done y'all. Looked like a fun day for the vets. We had a catfishing event here in Texas and because of our wierd weather the water cooled 7 degrees during the week turning off the bite. The group was able to get a few around 3-6 pounds. The best part was the lunch....down home southern fish fry from our host. Deep fried catfish with hushpuppies, fries and onion rings. I need a stent!!!  :smt003 Next weeks outing here in Texas is Frito Lays corporate bass pond. Gonna be fun

Which HOW chapter are working with?

Glad ya got back into the fray, Texas is pretty much the Mecca for HOW....

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Don,

I'm with the Northern Texas Chapter with George Chrisman and Dave. I see a lot of Jim Dolan too. He's at almost all the events.  Next week here is like Kelsey is to California except we can't camp out at Frito Lay's Headquarters. It will be a short day till about 2PM.

Here it looks like we have things going on at least once or twice a month. Veterans come from as far as Fort Worth to attend the events.

I still need to find more places to fish out here since I have some spare time now. In my complex here in Mckinney I have a lake that our developer owns half of on the property. It has bass in it and it a stones throw from my home. I haven't made it out there yet either due to weather. It is supposed to be nice this week so that may change. Gotta bring a gun just incase I run into a rattle snake or a feral hog back there  :smt001.

Glad to see you all are still doing well with the vets.  Catch that big-un you lost last year at Kelsey

"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Ya , amen to that whale I lost at Kelsey....

Run away tuna... I must have foul hook a large carp or something....

Texas has many ins and has been at it longer, they have gotten things moving... well funded too...

Were getting there,  this next event this week has me very hopeful that we will start to have more frequent smaller events... 

The good thing about this event is I had a very long talk with the lead therapist about what we can actually sustain, and it is not large events...

They got the point and were going to start to "Target" a specific population within the VA that would most benefit from what we have to offer. It's going to take some time with actually going out to the VA to educated and promote the program, but at least were getting to where we need to be.

Texas is Kool.... glad ya have hook up with the gang out there... lots of fun and can't wait to get back for some wide open spaces and Redfish...

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Just to add a couple pics. I had a lot of fun even tho I paid for it after.

Oh and the fish decided to bite too.

Also, I did not suck on the flyrod, which is completely contrary to what i expected.  Apparently I can swing a flyrod even though its been 9 years since i touched one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:03:35 PM by BabyManBen »

anything