Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trailers & Campers for kayaks (with pics)  (Read 132575 times)

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
This is how I roll

Is that the ramp to the East of Port San Luis?

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
in the final stages of my AI trailer. Stripped all the old stuff, waiting on two new tires and about to sort out the "rack" part. Will post up a full report with time line pics in the coming week or so

-Eric Berg

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
This is how I roll

Is that the ramp to the East of Port San Luis?

Ah Yep, it most certainly is!  :smt006

I Zod Out
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:51:58 AM by I Zod Out »
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
OK here she is from 1976 Chrysler Pirateer Hauler to a 2014 Rigged Adventure Island Hauler. Sorry the pics are all crooked. To tired to spin em.

Overall pretty painless process. I was able to use lots of bits and pieces (safety chains, nuts/bolts and the hully rollers). I had laying around. So the overall spend to get it to this state was as follows:

$100 for Trailer and Boat
$93 for New Shoes - Spare and Rim + 2 new tires
$20 for 2x4's and Paint

Here is the trailer as I got it from Bill (FishingForTheCure)

After "gifting" the boat to someone via CL this is what I had left to work with (sexy 'aint she)

Now to give it a diet. I took off all the unnecessary bits. EVERY fastener that didn't shear off had to be cut off with the angle grinder. I also figured I'd replace the lights vs try and trouble shoot.

I didn't go crazy on the prep. knocked off the surface rust with wire wheel and then hit it all with some rattle can flat black. Simple to touch up if needed

I debated what to do/use to hold the boat (crossbars). I know I wanted to be able to slide the rigged AI on an off quickly at the launch ramp.  I decided to go with a simple wood (2x4)
 "T" that would raise it above the tail lights and allow simple mounding of whatever racks I chose. Not the sexiest set up but inexpensive and simple to replace if needed

I tried the landshark saddles but opted for a pair of hully rollers I had laying around. Much better option. Slides on an off with minimal effort. The middle bar rests right behind around the drive well. I had the idea to re use the small bow anchor V block (or whatever that thing is called). I need to get a new one but it works perfectly. I will of course have the bow tied down to eliminate and bouncing.  So here is the finished project. I forgot to snap a pic before I pulled the aka and ama's off but they fit on the bars and can be tied all down with a single strap

-Eric Berg

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
OK here she is from 1976 Chrysler Pirateer Hauler to a 2014 Rigged Adventure Island Hauler. Sorry the pics are all crooked. To tired to spin em.

Overall pretty painless process. I was able to use lots of bits and pieces (safety chains, nuts/bolts and the hully rollers). I had laying around. So the overall spend to get it to this state was as follows:

$100 for Trailer and Boat
$93 for New Shoes - Spare and Rim + 2 new tires
$20 for 2x4's and Paint

Eric,

you should have turned the wooden rails 90degrees (make the go front to back), like the boat trails have them; then you could have also use it to "Trailer Launch" the AI...

You probably still can do it like it is, but might have to go a little deeper to launch...

Either way, LOOKs Great!!! Very little chance for trailer sway!!!!
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yeah I considered that set up. But I plan on trailering it with the amas installed and wanted them to be supported while on the road so I don't stress the connections. I should be able to get the trailer wheels just to the waterline and then slide the yak off and have it float. Guess I will find out in a few weeks. Either way better then lifting it way up onto my truck bed racks
-Eric Berg

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Mine is nothing special but a minor modification to a jet ski trailer works very well.  All I did was lengthen the bunks to 8 feet.

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Question; for U Guys with 12" trailer wheels.

How fast do you roll, and how far B 4 you lube those bearings??

Tire mileage?

TIA

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
On my trailer with small wheels, I use bearing buddies & check the grease before each trip.  I trailer ~60.  I have yet to wear out tires from road time as compared to sun damage/breakdown.

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I generally stick to the 55 mph speed limit for trailers.  I have bearing buddies, so I can just squirt grease into the fittings occasionally but I don't launch from the trailer, so water invasion shouldn't be an issue.  Tire life is a big question mark.  My trailer was 10 years old when I bought it and it had the original tires still on it and there was lots of tread left.  I replaced the tires due to cracking and age.  I think the very light trailers like mine will probably get a lot of miles on a set of tires.  I wouldn't be surprised to have the tires last until age and wall cracks become an issue again in a few years.  Weight is a huge factor for tire wear.  My wife's Landcruiser, which is a really heavy vehicle goes through a set of tires about every 30,000 miles.  My Subaru Outback got about 45,000 miles on the original tires and it is far lighter than the Landcruiser.

SkellyCa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
I could beat myself up. I had a canoe and trailer. The canoe was damaged but the trailer was fine. We had to temporarily move so I gave both away. I was tired of them taking up so much room too. Now that I have a yak I wish I would have kept the trailer.

I got both the trailer and canoe at Direct Boats. They have boats, trailers, and other related stuff. If I don't get a fold up trailer that works I may get another. Here's the site...

Direct Boats

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

Your awning rocks!!!

If you don't like to party don't talk to me!!!

It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Yakme

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Wow, some crazy awesome setups for trailers.  This is great!  I'll be trailering my PA soon.  Until then, I'll be enjoying flexing my arms ;)

NapaAndy

• Salmon
  • Founder and brewer of "Red Abalone Brewing Co."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
My standard set up for a camping trip. And the newest addition. Still thinking about the best way to rack on top of the Trailblazer. I am not too sure about the strength of the factory rack.  Suggestions?
Ab diver and spearo, wannabe fisherman
Admiral, Vitog Navy