Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Matt's Hobie Adventure Rigging  (Read 11466 times)

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Looking good Matt. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait how the the flush mount will look like once it is installed. I hear you about drilling a big hole on the kayak but it's
a must to achieve our goal. :smt012

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
nice job. I am looking at that light set up. May have to steal your idea.

So on a scale on 1 -10 how bad are you wanting to get that thing in the water for a test drive!
-Eric Berg

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I would say about a 12!  I am dieing to go out.  I may head out for some trout this next weekend if the weather is decent.  I hear they are catching some nice trout on Shasta in 5-25 ft on water, and some nice landlocked Salmon on anchovies and minnows.  The fishfinder won't take anytime to install with the mounts all ready in place!

I like the way the safety light came out.  The compact deck mount comes with a backing plate, so it is nice and secure.  I had a scotty base on my Plano box before for the light.  I worked ok and was in reach, but made it a pain to get into the box as the top of the light went into the water.  It is waterproof, but was something I didn't like.  This will keep the light visible and out of the way.  I may be able to reach it on the water, but won't know for sure until I try (and probably get wet).  I am figuring I will simply turn it on when I launch, and leave it on.  It is USGS approved and supposed to run 8 hours on 2AA.  However, I have been out many trips and have yet to replace the batteries.  I have some reflective tape I am going to wrap around the shaft, and want to get a bicycle flag.  The flag I will likely attach a tube on the side of the light, or just zip tie it in place.  That way the mount can do double duty with safety flags and dive flags.

Thanks Jedmo.  It looks like the rocket launcher is backordered till Feb 2.  I am thinking it is a new item, and just has not hit the stores yet.  I am going to try and get a flushmount and extention in the mean time.  I can order the rocket launcher separately from the base.  If worst comes to worst, I can install the Scotty base I have and replace it with the flushmount later.  They are the same size, the only difference being the center hole for the flush mount.  I really like the RAM mounts, but am unsure how they would perform with a 1-2 lb lead ball or trolling plate while Salmon fishing in the ocean.  I don't think the RAM would be secure enough.  The Scotty with the ratchet fins on the adjustments should be able to hold better IMO.

I also took a tip off an Australian kayak site and use a little silicon on my dagger board insert.  It will hold it more secure and prevent any water from coming up.  The household silicon is a good adhesive, but easy to remove if I want or need to.  I used goop on all the "permanate" attachments.

Matt

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
The tackle boxes are small Plano guide boxes.  I put a little dab of silicon on the bottoms to prevent them from sliding around.  I can now simply store them in the 8” middle hatch!  No more tackle box or bag on the outside of the kayak.  Should make lure access easier and keep my center of gravity low with all the lead.

question: will the trays stay in place with just silicon? Or does it need a leash so it doesn't slide to the bow or stern?  I wanna do what you did if the silicon does the job.  thx!
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
The tackle boxes are small Plano guide boxes.  I put a little dab of silicon on the bottoms to prevent them from sliding around.  I can now simply store them in the 8” middle hatch!  No more tackle box or bag on the outside of the kayak.  Should make lure access easier and keep my center of gravity low with all the lead.

Hi Matt,

I own a Revo and after 2 years I have the same set up with my tackle boxes.  One thing you will find out is water builds up on top of the hatch cover.  Every time you open it a small amount goes inside the hull, not a large amount but adds to the clean up process after at the of the day.  I haven't used silicon to prevent tackle boxes sliding but they have slid on me and I cannot reach them while the OTW.  This is how I secure mine:
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,27141.msg289780.html#msg289780

This year I am retiring my milk crate and using an orange Plano waterproof tackle box from West Marine.  I also cut some PVC pipes and screwed them on as 3 rod holders . Plano claims their waterproof but not really, its OK I can live with the small amount that goes in. It will snapped the behind the seat and can with stand a surf launch.  I am putting my lures in the Plano waterproof boxes like yours inside.  

Thanks for sharing!

Mel
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:36:16 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

BANJOTAD

• North Valley Slayers
  • Sea Lion
  • Hobie Revolution
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Looks like Matt is having a great time rigging the new Hobie :smt007
When your ready to give her the test peddle at Shasta give me the heads up, and I'll try to keep up :smt002 :smt003
Nice work buddy, can't wait to see it in action!
Tad
 :smt006

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Well I ordered a Scotty flushmount and a 8 1/2" extention until my rocket launchers come in.  I can't wait to install it.  It should allow me to position my rod across the kayak for trolling the lake, and keep the rod out of the peddles.  I almost went with two rod mounts, but will likely use just the one.  I rarely troll with more than one rod anyways.  The rocket launchers will come with extra bases if I decide to add another.

Thanks Tad,  I will send you a PM and likely post a hookup.  I am thinking of heading out this weekend.

FishingAddict, thanks I will add the leashes.  I have a Plano box I have used for years, so it would be nothing to clip on the kayak.  I am looking forward to tying this new system, but it remains to be seen how well it will work.  The silicone seems to keep the boxes in place pretty well.  I would not trust it while moving the kayak, or surf launching though.  I can tilt the kayak at about a 20-30 degree angle before they start sliding.  The leashes under the deck to clip the boxes in place for rough launches and conditions make a lot of sense.  I will miss the extra rod holders on my Plano box, but do like the clean decks.  I have a sponge I tossed in the deck to hopefully soak up any water which makes it in. 

Matt

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Looks good MattS you can tell you but a lot of thought into your new ride I love that kind of stuff, look foreword to fishing with you some day :smt006.

Pat R

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Nice work. I've been putting the Plano boxes inside the center hatch like you and it works great by adding grip to that area. One thing that will make it better is a few walls made of pool noodle gooped around the boxes. Most of the time they won't slide around but if you have a surf launch or a day with rough water they will slide. Having to fish around in your yak through that hatch for your gear OTW is no fun. ChuckE has has the best system I've seen yet. He's got a flexible 3" deep canvas tray that has plastic walls that he slides in there before launching and then puts Plano boxes in that. No glueing or connecting at all.

Similar to this:

Z
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:03:22 PM by Zee »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
The inner bag is a great idea!  I may have to use that.  it would keep things nicely organized.

I got my fishfinder, battery and charger today!  Rigging went quick, as I had it all prepped.  I made a lead for the battery with a quick connect.  I then soldered in the fuse and quick connect on the fishfinder power cable.  I make for easy removal.

I mounted the fishfinder to the ram mount, it looks really clean.  I like the adjustability of the ram mount.

Getting the transducer wire/power cable thru the cable seal was a pain!  It was a very tight fit.  I had to trim a little off the transducer cable and oil up the cable seal.  I finally got it thru.  At least I know it will be a tight seal!

I wrapped the extra transducer cable around the mast mount and zip tied it up and out of the way.

The battery is a 12 volt 5A.  It weighs around 3.5 lbs.  I placed the battery in a waterproof box and packed it with foam.  I drilled a small hole to route the power cable through and gooped it in place.  The entire box can now be simply removed for charging and transportation.  I rigged up a bungee that will hold the box to the mast while in use, and a foam pad to go under the box to cushion it some.  The pad will be removable or maybe glued to the box to allow it to dry.  I will post a piture when I put the box in place.

To ease charging, I took another connector and soldered it to the charger leads.  I can now simply plug the charger right into the battery unit!  It makes it easy and simple.

The fishfinder works great.  The color screen is very easy to see.  I can't wait to put it to the test!

Battery leads and wiring

Fishfinder and wire seal

Wires tied up

Battery box

Power lead

Charger with lead soldered on

Charger hooked up

It works!

Matt

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I got my rod base and rod holder extension today!  I had pre-prepped the nuts, washers and backing plates the other day.  I found the area under the deck was so tight, I could not use a full backing plate.  Instead I simply cut small backing plates from some plastic cutting board.  I glued the washer and nut onto the backers with a drop of super glue.  This really made it easy to put them into place while contorted across my kayak, trying to reach into the deck space.  The plastic bases also allowed the bolt and nut to fit the curved inside surfaces better.

The bases were the Scotty 244 with the sealed tube for kayak use. 

I placed the holder in place on the deck and marked the holes.  I used a straight edge to make the center for the hole saw.

I used a piece of pool noodle to hold the rudder cables out of the way while drilling.  I didn’t want to cut the spectra.  I then used a 1 ¼” saw and “wobbled” the bit a little to enlarge the hole slightly.  This gave me a very tight friction fit for the insert.  I learned this from Jim Sammons on one of his videos.  It makes it water tight and adds some stability.

I used the deck cut out to measure the bolt lengths.  I didn’t want to have any bolt extending thru the nut, where the spectra lines could be abraded.  The deck was amazingly thick at this location!  It should be a nice solid area to mount the holder.

I gooped and bolted the rod holder in place.  The rear inside bolt was a tight fit due to the pad eye mount and the rudder line tube.  I had the forethought to place the holder a little forward and to the right in hopes of clearing this.  It worked, but due to the space I was unable to use the plastic backing.  I used a washer and bolt at this location.  The left side rail doesn’t have this pad eye, and should be easier to install.

I cleaned up the excess goop and inserted the rod holder and extension, perfect!  This should work great for trolling until my rocket launchers come.  I will put it to the test tomorrow at Shasta Lake.  The goop should be cured by tomorrow.

As I had already prepped the backing plates and nuts, the entire install only took about 20 minutes, it was very simple.   I am happy with the clean look, and adjustability.  This should be able to securely hold my rods while Salmon trolling with large weights, and possibly a Scotty Crab Davit while pulling pots. 

Matt

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Wow! Talk about tight fit. Absolutely no room for error at all. I like it Matt. Great job on it bro.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
After my test run in the kayak, I found I needed a rod holder on the left side to double troll!  I got the parts and finally got around to mounting the Scotty flush mount on the left rail.  It went in fine (other than nicking the rudder cable protective tube...darn, but luckily an easy fix).  I found the rail plastic was much thicker on the left side.  I was not able to use any of my plastic spacers due to the thickness, so went with large stainless washers and lock nuts.  I have read other experiencing the thicker plastic here as well.  It secured nicely.  Good thing, as I want to get a Scotty crab davit for use with it!  The way I over engineer, I figure the kayak will flip before any of the mounts tear out!  :smt003

I also put a couple eye bolts in the garage roof, and now have the kayak slung upside down and off the ground.  Great storage trick I got right here on the site!  I will post up some pictures when I get a chance.

Matt

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
MattS did you aver get your Scotty Rocket launcher and if so do you like them or do you think the ram rocket launcher would be better.

Pat R

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Hi Pat,

The rocket launchers just got released (Hook 1 just got them), and I hope to get one soon.  I have been using a 8.5" extension on each side with the locking collar rod holder.  I actually really like this set-up.  It keeps the rods out of the way, they can be locked into the rod holders, they are easy to reach, and can be positioned any direction.  I was trolling with the rod positioned forward slightly with great success.

I don't have any personal experience with the ram rod holders.  My fish finder ram mount does work well.  Personally I would be cautious of the ram mounts if trolling for large fish.  I have seen everything from rope to turnbuckles to keep them from slipping (yakabout/yakass has a good article on it).  They have a good following, but I think the Scotty holders are more secure IMO.  I have caught some large Salmon, Stripers and Sturgeon from my jet boat, and never had a Scotty fail or slip.  I do think the Rocket holders will be the best of both worlds, especially for a behind the seat application like O2B has on his boat (very sweet set-up).

I will post a report once I get the rocket launchers to try.  So far the reviews I have seen on them are very positive. 

Matt