Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:17:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rescue at Simply Fishing 2018  (Read 5892 times)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Oh man, this story gives me a chill  :smt009 Glad everyone is safe. You guys did well on the rescue!

I have never openly posted my last year experience at Albion, but quite a few folks here know my story. My Hobie Outfitter went down at Albion due to excessive water intrusion. This wasn't even cause by any mistake, rather the Outfitter isn't an ocean worthy yak. The boat sits too low in the water and with a little bit of swell, water can get in through the rudder line too easy. And once there is a good amount of water in the yak, it is really difficult to fix it in time. That is what happened to us next. We weren't able to pump the water out fast enough. Less than a few minutes we lost balance and capsized. That s time I learned never fish by myself and always have a radio on you (not just with you). We floated for 45 minutes before a powerboat saw us and rescued us. Two things saved us are wetsuit and pfd. At the end, we were all safe and unhurt. A powerboat saw my yak floating like a titanic and nice enough to towed it back. 
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

Hydrospider

I was surprised to see Raydon in the water.  It turned out he couldn't pump water out fast enough and his Eddyline was sinking.

And once there is a good amount of water in the yak, it is really difficult to fix it in time. That is what happened to us next. We weren't able to pump the water out fast enough. Less than a few minutes we lost balance and capsized. We floated for 45 minutes before a powerboat saw us and rescued us.

Im surprised that the Eddyline boat didn't go Cleo's Needle like the above boat did.
The pump without supportive flotation is not enough. The Eddyline wasn't ready.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75908.msg868303#msg868303
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:29:50 PM by Hydrospider »

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
After this post and hearing it go down on tourney day I went to Wal-Mart and got 25 more pool noodles to stuff in my Eddyline. I already have 20 or so in it.
Is that overkill?
They were the last in the store. 25 cents each.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
After this post and hearing it go down on tourney day I went to Wal-Mart and got 25 more pool noodles to stuff in my Eddyline. I already have 20 or so in it.
Is that overkill?
the solid ones or the hollow ones ?
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Epic rescue! Well done fellas! Stoked to hear of the helpfulness
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

lightfoot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Is that overkill?

I've lost count of how many noodles I have in my Kraken, i would guess around 50-60.  I couldn't put another one in there if I wanted to. 

Nice to hear everything worked out on the recovery.  I've only met raydon a few times and he came across as one tough sob and a hell of a nice guy. 
Kraken 13.5 on the Great lakes.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Is that overkill?

that's just added flotation my friend.  :smt001

I still have a box full sitting in my garage. They aren't going to do me any good there  :smt009
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

raydon

• Sea Lion
  • Fishy in the sea, won't you bite my hook for me?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I usually fish alone, but for some reason I hooked up with Mark Lee, ellkram that day.  We took off south and I was dragging the white B2 squid at about 25 pulls.  As soon as we turned the corner towards TC, I saw fish breaking the surface.  My fish finder said they were in a column and thick. (oops)  I hooked up with olives.  I left one olive on the hook and paddled toward one of my
favorite spots at TC.  At this time there was no indication of leakage.  I hooked a large ling via hitch hiker method and slowly
worked him toward the surface.  He released his bite three different times and I dropped the olive down each time until he finally got on the hook.  After I landed him and gave him a five conk greeting  I threw him in the yak.  There was till no indication of
intrusion of water.  I fish a few minutes more and noticed my yak feeling sluggish and rolling.  I looked inside the forward hatch next to the seat and there was water.  I started pumping and thought I made good progress emptying the yak.  I fished a few more minutes and again looked inside.  Crap, more water.  I pump again.  I put my ear as close to the the opening of the hatch as I could and it sounded like a small stream was inside my yak.  At that time I knew I was in trouble.  Mark came over and eventually Mel.    I was very selfish during this rescue, as the only thing I focused on was getting my ling back to the Ocean Cove weigh in.  I thought I had a contender.   Mark and Mel drug me  to SWN.  When we got close enough I tried to stand up but  could not feel my legs.  Mark and Mel lifted me up and put on on the shore.  At Mel's and Mark's suggestion I drank water and ate a potato.  It only took about five minutes for me to get warm blood in my legs and then I could walk.   Jennifer was waiting for me and drove me back to Ocean Cove.   I want to thank Mark, Mel, members of NCKA who voiced concern during and after on the radio, Jennifer, Hojo and the PB that came by to assist.   I also want to thank Kokatat for making an incredible dry suit that allowed me to stay in the water for an hour without any residual problems  I just purchased my new dry suit a month earlier in preparation for Simply Fishing.  The Gore-tex model kept me dry and warm.  The coldest part of my body during the ordeal was my hands.  Thanks again NCKA
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:04:06 AM by raydon »

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
You looked very happy to be on dry land but you always look happy.
Glad you are alright. What a nice ling, I would have wanted to bring that monster back too.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Glad to here everyone came out of this ok. Many thanks to our NCKA brothers for having the where with all to go the distance and ensure our bro did was safe and ok!
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I usually fish alone, but for some reason I hooked up with Mark Lee, ellkram that day.  We took off south and I was dragging the white B2 squid at about 25 pulls.  As soon as we turned the corner towards TC, I saw fish breaking the surface.  My fish finder said they were in a column and thick. (oops)  I hooked up with olives.  I left one olive on the hook and paddled toward one of my
favorite spots at TC.  At this time there was no indication of leakage.  I hooked a large ling via hitch hiker method and slowly
worked him toward the surface.  He released his bite three different times and I dropped the olive down each time until he finally got on the hook.  After I landed him and gave him a five conk greeting  I threw him in the yak.  There was till no indication of
intrusion of water.  I fish a few minutes more and noticed my yak feeling sluggish and rolling.  I looked inside the forward hatch next to the seat and there was water.  I started pumping and thought I made good progress emptying the yak.  I fished a few more minutes and again looked inside.  Crap, more water.  I pump again.  I put my ear as close to the the opening of the hatch as I could and it sounded like a small stream was inside my yak.  At that time I knew I was in trouble.  Mark came over and eventually Mel.    I was very selfish during this rescue, as the only thing I focused on was getting my ling back to the Ocean Cove weigh in.  I thought I had a contender.   Mark and Mel drug me  to SWN.  When we got close enough I tried to stand up but  could not feel my legs.  Mark and Mel lifted me up and put on on the shore.  At Mel's and Mark's suggestion I drank water and ate a potato.  It only took about five minutes for me to get warm blood in my legs and then I could walk.   Jennifer was waiting for me and drove me back to Ocean Cove.   I want to thank Mark, Mel, members of NCKA who voiced concern during and after on the radio, Jennifer, Hojo and the PB that came by to assist.   I also want to thank Kokatat for making an incredible dry suit that allowed me to stay in the water for an hour without any residual problems  I just purchased my new dry suit a month earlier in preparation for Simply Fishing.  The Gore-tex model kept me dry and warm.  The coldest part of my body during the ordeal was my hands.  Thanks again NCKA

Ray - Kudos to you for remaining calm.  You were in the water a long time.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

raydon

• Sea Lion
  • Fishy in the sea, won't you bite my hook for me?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
One of my jobs in the Marine Corps was to drown proof Marines.  I learned my lessons well and it paid off.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Leaving one on is creative. I was told it's not allowed. Only hitchhikers that come up on the original retrieve. Sending one back down is using bait. However I'm all for it if Ruben says its OK.  :smt007
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I'm so glad you came out ok Raydon, its way to early for you to leave us my friend.  :smt001

You tricked me and told me all the good fishing was north and then you went south.  :smt005  :smt005

Seriously glad your ok my friend !!!!!

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Leaving one on is creative. I was told it's not allowed. Only hitchhikers that come up on the original retrieve. Sending one back down is using bait. However I'm all for it if Ruben says its OK.  :smt007

Yeah, this is absolutely so important to note on this thread.  Talking about Raydon being ok, here you are debating tourney regs.   :smt011
If you ain't first, you're last.