Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Good safety video to watch  (Read 1624 times)

Sfocyf

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018

Glad I installed Hobie Sidekicks on my Compass and I have a 15ft 1100 paracord for emergency  use with me all the time.  Great video and good teamwork. 

YouTube video credit to Island Hooking.

Tinker

A better Plan B is "use your bilge pump" and avoid the chest-beating tow back to shore altogether.  DAMHIK

You have a bilge pump, don't you?

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Wow, this is a GREAT vid, everyone, especially inexperienced peeps should watch it.

Has lots of lessons in it, Things can and do go to shit quickly, covers hull cracks (BTDT), using scupper carts, bilge pump, etc, etc, etc.

Watch it and then imagine it happening in NorCal, on a rough day. Dress for longterm immersion, what if you have to swim to shore? That boat woulda been completely useless without the tow.

That tow yak guy must be in great shape.

Not sure how widespread it is but many peeps stuff their hulls with pool noodles, like 20 to 30 of them to get flotation in such circumstances.

After a few incidents of my own, I now carry, a bilge pump, spare paddle, and signal gear (air horn, and flares) this stuff lives in the hull, never comes out.  I stopped at 18 on the noodles but should get more.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Not sure how widespread it is but many peeps stuff their hulls with pool noodles, like 20 to 30 of them to get flotation in such circumstances.

I've wondered how much buoyancy each noodle adds. Never tried them outside the hull and fortunately, knock wood, haven't had find out how well the noodles in my boat would perform.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

I've wondered how much buoyancy each noodle adds. Never tried them outside the hull and fortunately, knock wood, haven't had find out how well the noodles in my boat would perform.

You could always got to a quiet spot and purposly fill your yak to see how it floats and then use your pump and see how it works. 😍👍
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
A standard pool noodle 2.5" x 60" with a 5/8" hole in the middle ought to yield about 9.5# of flotation.  Someone check my math please.

I stuffed my noodles between the scuppers and the outside of the hull pretty evenly fore to aft to get the most widespread flotation possible. A yak full of water is very unstable like a log, getting the flotation as far to the outside as possible will help with that. Kinda like why amas are out to the side. In the vid without the amas the yak would have rolled for sure.

The whole idea is for them never to be necessary, or only a part of your safety planning, take precautions accordingly.

On the day my hull cracked I had planned to be about a mile out into SP bay sturgeon fishing, at the time I had no noodles, no pump, no vhf.  Lucky for me it was too windy so I opted for a protected slough in the delta.  It took 20-30 minutes to realize something was wrong, 5 more minutes for the boat to become barely stable enough to keep upright, but 5 more minutes and I was on the bank. I would have been absolutely screwed if I had been able to stick to Plan A.  I was solo, I do that allot, lots of people do.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Every cubic foot of pool noodle displaces 7 gallons of water that otherwise would have filled the hull.  The noodles aren't for flotation, they are to prevent taking on water by filling the void inside a kayak.  I use those air filled packing bags that come with shipping orders.  Every time I get some, I shove them down the hatch.   

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Any time foam is added to the hull of a boat to displace water, it's commonly referred to as flotation. 

Pool noodles are commonly used because they are foolproof and versatile.

I wouldn't rely on plastic bags full of air unless they were specifically designed as flotation devices.

Pompano120

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
To be honest, i never thought about this happening but now i'm a bit concern. i have no problems launching on rough surf, self rescue and overall good kayaking skills.  the guy in the video is very lucky he was with someone. if he was solo, things would have been very different. also reading the comment, some people bring extra paddles? has anyone have their paddle broke and become unless? never cross my mind to bring spare.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Call me over cautious, but, there was a post, a few years ago relating a story about a yaker way out in SF bay at anchor fishing for (?). Anyway his paddle got away from him.  As the story went he was solo until someone noticed him waving for help.  How do spell absolutely screwed?

Myself, I one time drove all the way to SWN only to find I had grabbed 2 left ends of a paddle (my GFs paddle is identical to mine). Luckily I always carry duct tape, that and a piece of driftwood made the day salvageable.

It's not common but paddles do break too.

Spare paddle doesn't take up much space and doesn't weigh much. 

Swagdog

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Awesome video, thank you!

anything