Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trout Lures  (Read 10619 times)

Pacific

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
Ice fishing jigging works great mariboo jigs or swedish pimples

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Whose this guy?
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Whose this guy?

:smt005  :smt005

Its the Bulldog !  Front page news. Been waiting on that. Shadow Cliffs. Stopped at the kiosk and demanded a photo. What a attention whore.  :smt003

Made sure to get the kayak in there. NCKA ! represent ! Actually need a NCKA sticker on that one. recently purchased.

Stomping it up in your area Mel !!

Thanks Mel.
Alex
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:09:48 AM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
All you Panther Martin guys right lure, wrong color Anodized Red, and Rainbow Trout !!!! and of course the old stand by Kastmaster !!!!
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

fishi

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Panther Martin rig -- I experience major line twist, cumulative with each cast.  I have tried barrel swivel with a 12-18" leader to the PM, but it really jacks up the action.  What do you guys do about line wind up after 1+  hour of casting, or do you have a better way to avoid it?

Jigging -- man I am bad at this.  I cant keep my boat/sonar over the lure using freehand paddle to achieve Clayman's arcade fishing (helpful when spotting fish).  Next, I struggle knowing how far to cast to reach bottom depth before starting the art of 'jigging' which in my case becomes a low depth retrieve.  Do you guys cast out high and short, let drop?  Or manually unspool beneath the boat?  I am still practicing this, it has obvious potentially I cant wait to experience.

Thanks - and great thread by the way!
Chariot:  Perception Pescador Pilot 12 Pedal
Backup:  Ascend FS10 SitIn

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Panther Martin rig -- I experience major line twist, cumulative with each cast.  I have tried barrel swivel with a 12-18" leader to the PM, but it really jacks up the action.  What do you guys do about line wind up after 1+  hour of casting, or do you have a better way to avoid it?

Jigging -- man I am bad at this.  I cant keep my boat/sonar over the lure using freehand paddle to achieve Clayman's arcade fishing (helpful when spotting fish).  Next, I struggle knowing how far to cast to reach bottom depth before starting the art of 'jigging' which in my case becomes a low depth retrieve.  Do you guys cast out high and short, let drop?  Or manually unspool beneath the boat?  I am still practicing this, it has obvious potentially I cant wait to experience.

has that been true with every single panther martin you've tried?  generally speaking in line spinners like that shouldn't twist the line so much if the spinner itself is running smooth.  could be some burrs or something else that is making the entire spinner turn instead of just the blade.  you could also use a small snap swivel to attach it to your line. 

I haven't used panther martins in a while - i think they do great at certain lakes and up in the sierras where the water is clear and the fish are in skinny water.  I just really prefer pulling plugs now since it gives me something to do.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Ditch the barrel swivels and pick up the smallest ball bearing swivels you can find.  I'll run a small ball bearing swivel roughly 18-20 inches above the lure.  This will reduce line twist, but it won't eliminate it.  I do this with all spinners.  While you can simply attach a ball-bearing snap swivel to the spinner, I'm not a fan of doing this.  Adding a swivel directly to the lure will make the swivel appear as part of the lure to the fish.  Sometimes this doesn't matter, but other times it does.

Depends on the depth you're fishing, weight of your lure, and prevailing wind.  Most of the time I'll either drop straight below the boat, or will give it a little 8-10 foot flip forward and let it sink with an open bail.  After you fish with a particular jig for a while, you start getting a sense for its rate of fall, to the point where you don't even need to see it on the depthfinder to have an idea of where it is.  I recommend letting your jig fall to various depths until it hits bottom to get a feel for the jig's rate of fall.  Count out the seconds as it sinks.  Let's say you're in 40 feet and you're consistently hitting bottom at 15 seconds.  Confident with your 15 seconds to 40 feet observation, you start paddling.  All of a sudden you spot a big mark on your depthfinder sitting at 30 feet.  You immediately grab your rod and drop your jig down on an open bail.  Even if you can't see your jig on the depthfinder, you already know it takes roughly 15 seconds for your jig to sink to 40 feet.  You'll want your jig at or slightly above the fish (they'll often move up to take it), meaning you want it roughly in the 25-30 foot range.  So you count out 10 seconds, then flip your bail back and start jigging.  You might not know the precise depth your jig is at, but you know it's gotta be around that 30 foot mark.  If the fish wants your jig, it'll move a bit up or down in the water column to intercept it.

Hope this helps!
aMayesing Bros.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Panther Martin rig -- I experience major line twist, cumulative with each cast.

I feel your pain. Love them and hate them when I am trolling. I have recently tried using the smallest pins I can find and doubling them up when this occurs. Haven't tried double pins on a fresh line. I am still using the ones with line twist and it seems to be untwisting little by little. I use gold pins on lighter colored lures and black pins on darker lures.

Might try the better swivels as Clayman mentioned.
Alex

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:29:32 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Since I almost exclusively troll from my kayak, mostly top lining, I'll fish all the way from the surface down to 30' pulling Rapalas of various shapes & sizes. I'm kind of surprised that I'm able to consistently catch trout focusing on color & depth of the lure rather than size of the bait. I've caught more dink bows off of JSR-7, JSCR-9 & TDD-09 Rapalas than pulling rooster tails, needle fish and the like. I will also pull bigger walleye banana-style lures (TDD-09 & TDD-011) for larger fish in deeper water.

That sounds like my kind of fishing...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Does anybody have better success using flashers / dodgers while trolling?  Lets say within 30 ft depth.

I use the small Sling blade by Shasta Tackle Co. when trolling lures like Kastmasters / little cleos or 3" Mad river worms, they help when you fish big lakes like Shasta when fish are spread out and you can't video fish jig them up  :smt003. They work well with a keel weight hooked to the front of the blade. I run Rapalas by themself , and don't troll spinners at all except for lures with a smiley blade which don't twist the line because the blade is centered on the line.
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

eiboh

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
A must in my book
 kastmasters , super dupers, rooster tails, mepps spinners and a handful of Panther Martins.
 don't ever give up on bait as a standby.
Aint nuttin without eggs and worms in case all else fails :smt001

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Luckycraft 65DD and gulp minnows have become my favs. Rebel grasshopper has caught me a lot of fish as well
Headwaters Kayak Fishing Team

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Here's a great trout kayak fishing video, I get excited when his rod gets hit.  :smt003

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:07:11 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Dalong Boat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
This thread is gold. Thank you all for all the tips! I only have a few lures (rooster tails, panther martins and 1 rainbow spoon) so I might go shopping for some soon, maybe tonight haha. Any recommendations for tackle shops in or around San Jose? I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks,

David

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I also don't want to spend a fortune.

definitely don't do what i do and spend a bunch of money on lures i rarely use.

if you're fishing the EB lakes and if you're fishing one or two rods, i always recommend the following:
1 or 2 JSR-05 rapalas (jointed shad raps) - dive around 8-10 feet on average. my favorite color is the traditional shad and silver shad.  best place to buy these is walmart.
1 rainbow trout F9 stick bait rapala - also best at walmart
1 j-7 rapala - color either rainbow trout or firetiger
1 bx-06 rapala -  blue herring color  this is my absolute best lure at sc.  don't know if its because of the lure or because of my confidence in it.  don't carry at walmart, i would imagine FW would be the cheapest.  I also have some that i stocked up on that i am willing to sell to folks at $7 each (the price i paid-i just do this to help folks).  i live about 5 minutes from shadow cliffs.  alternative to the BX-06 rapala would be the JSR-04 rapala. very similar in size and diving depth and i've caught fish on them before.
1 needlefish - firetiger - use when cloudy
1 kastmaster - 1/4oz silver/blue - use when sunny
1 TDD9 rapala - deep diver.  best when fish are deep, like when its super cold or strangely warm. 

there are lots of other lures that work that would be similar to size and running ability to the rapalas above.  these are just the ones i like the best.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:58:03 AM by bmb »

anything