Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: ROOTS KC Derby Results and PIX!!!  (Read 5119 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Sorry guys.  I cleaned up and got home and crashed at 5:30. It was movie night, but I could't last all the way through Casablanca.  Slept all the way through till 7 this a.m.

So, waiting is done, here's the scoop:

Unbelievably, the entry count was 48 on morning of the Derby!  This with only three weeks prep.  "Showing the love" to Dave and Jessica Grigsby, who revived the Derby after a multi-year hiatus.

O-Dark-Thirty...Parking lot at West Harbor is filling up, all the usual suspects, yaks scattered here and there, headlamps flashing as boats were launched. Coffee, lies and a few donuts were consumed.

On the water.  Most everyone found secret reef # 4.  Hope so, since I published the coordinates night before, and announced it on the vhf a number of times.

Good call, too.  that's where the winning lingcod was picked up by Mike Peters (MikeE), fishing a Big Hammer in Red from his venerable Prowler 15.  His BIL Bones had another ling, and a few others were caught in that area. Mostly smaller RF though, were the order of the day.

A few guys paddled over to the Lighthouse Point area.  Nathan Tsuji was one of these, and he pulled up a small but significant halibut that garnered him a number two spot for the day (this, after I re-weighed his fish.  First weight said 5 #, he double checked on the boga, second time said 8#.  Oops. I double checked with my other scale. Yup, he's #2 now, passing up JimGosc and his 8-something Lingcod.

So in order:

Mike Peters         MikeE         Ling Cod   11# 6 oz-    New Predator 13 in Camo
Nathan Tsuji       Sharkbait   Halibut        8# 9oz-     Awesome Werner Blade
Jim Goscininski   Jimsgosc     Ling Cod      8# 3oz      Pick of any PFD in the Store

Very fun, I'll let others give their take on things. 

Note:  I was accused of Nepotism because MikeE is my nephew.  I prefer to call it Nephewtism....  I swear he caught that fish all by himself......and,  Secret Reef #4 is no secret anymore.

Thanks so much to Dave and Jessica Grigsby for revitalizing the Santa Cruz Derby.  We will definitely do it again, next time with more lead notice, and most likely earlier in the summer. 

If Dave and Jessica are the "new faces," then I have to mention some old hands that came out of the woodwork.  Making cameos at the Derby were Big Red, veteran of all the early derbies in SC and still paddling his Malibu 2 (but not wearing a white shirt and tie); BIG J!!!! Janice showed up with Little E for the festivities. So good to see you Janice.  And Mark Pastick, the former owner of Kayak Connection who is looking younger every day.  Retirement obviously agrees with him.

Last hour or so was spent convincing Bones three kyaks were "no problem" on top of his new VW van....Check out Dave G's expression......LOL.

My comment was "How many kayak anglers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"

Thanks again everyone for showing up and supporting.  Congrats MikeE, Nathan, and Jim for your wins!!!! 

Time to post some pix.  Get em up if you Got 'Em!!

Bushy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:13:49 AM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bushy

• Administrator
more pix

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bushy

• Administrator
....and even more
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:08:42 AM by Bushy »

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nice job, Bushy.  Looks like a great revitalization of the event.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Cookb17

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Looks like a great time was had by all!  Hubby and I are looking forward to signing up next year. 

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Congrats to Mike, Nathan, and JimG!
Big Thanks for Dave and Jessica for hosting a wonderful event. I had a lot of fun. And I think everybody else did too. It was my first time launching my kayak from SC harbor LOL...so I gave everybody a 30-minute head start. You know, to be fair. I fished north of the lighthouse for butts (missed my only solid hookup when I pulled the hooks D'oh!). But I managed about 6 blacks, a gopher, and 2 reds. All released. Then I trolled for salmon to reef 4 and joined the party. The highlight of my day was video-taping Jimmy eating live octopus while it tried to climb back out of his mouth = beastmode. Standby for video.
:-) Thanks Bushy!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Looks a great time, sorry I missed it.
Congrats to the winners, those are some nice fish!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Ben

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thank you Bushy! Great to have this derby back  :thumleft:. Many thanks to Dave and Jessica for hosting a great event and putting on a fabulous bbq feast.  :beer3 Had a great day on the water. Started fishing north of the lighthouse and out to the 70'depth. Nothing for but a few nibbles. After a couple of hours I headed south to the secret bouy reef. Quite a few kayaks there so I knew the secret was out  :smt005. Dropped down and immediately caught a 21 3/4 underling  :smt013. After releasing the underling I ended up with a limit of rockfish. Most were released with a few kept for dinner. Congratulations to Mike, Nathan and Jim for putting up the three best scores.. Was great to see everyone, and once again thanks to Bushy for bringing this derby back...

Ben
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:47:47 AM by Ben »

Bushy

• Administrator
Lil River Man.....C'mon you have a story to tell also.....don't be shy!!!

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Big thanks to Dave and Jessica, and Bushy for reviving the KC derby. Had a great time fishing with friends, old and new, the weather and seas couldn't have been better, and the BBQ capped it all off. Trolled for salmon out to 75-80fow, then fished 9" Big Hammers before going inside to hit some spots in 40-50fow. The red tide didn't seem to affect the rockfish bite, although it's not very pretty.
Congrats to Mike and Nathan! Let's do it again in 2014.
Jim

Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Bushy and KC for making it happen.   
I got sidetracked by following the whale feeding a little SE of the jaws, so I stopped at the reef near there after watching a nice ling being hauled up by a rental skiff, but nothing doing for me. 
   I made it to secret reef No. 4 just after the winner was yakked and after some guys in a PB blabbed the  location- otherwise I never would have known that was why 20 kayaks were there.
   I c &r a few small rf and one barely legal and two underlings.
   Fantastic conditions, nice day.

Bushy

• Administrator
   I made it to secret reef No. 4 just after the winner was yakked and after some guys in a PB blabbed the  location- otherwise I never would have known that was why 20 kayaks were there.

Fascinating Legal Confabulation!

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Mikee

• SAC CREW
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I had a great day! Well obviously if you go home with a new kayak it's a great day or catch a 11lb ling it's a great day. But meeting some of the NCKA crew, great weather, and just floating and fishing is a great day also. I met some real nice people, and I thank everyone that offered to keep and store my new boat for me  :smt001 since it was going to be a tad sketchy getting it home to the Sacramento area with 2 yaks already on top of BONES VW van. :smt009 As you can see in the pic below we made it home with all 3 intact!

Thank you very much to Dave and Jessica for putting this on and of course one of the best people I know, Uncle Al or as you know him BUSHY.

Bushy has been pushing this Kayak fishing to me for a while (yrs.) and now that I have well over 4 months of experience he and Bones got me out to try my first derby/tournament. I got to say it's really fun and really not that hard. :smt044 j/k of course!
I look forward to the next one (kayak) and if your in the Sac area hit Bones and me up. It was nice meeting everyone. See you on the Sea.

2013 Kayak Connection "Return to the Roots" 1st. Place

Mikee

• SAC CREW
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
pics
2013 Kayak Connection "Return to the Roots" 1st. Place

Mikee

• SAC CREW
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile