Kayak Fishing Zone > Hookups and Fishing Reports (Viewable by Public)

9-12-18 New Hogan Res.

(1/2) > >>

Yaktothefuture:
I fished new Hogan Reservoir yesterday. I was on the water at sunrise. I started at the fiddleneck day use area and paddled Eastward passed Coyote Point quite a ways to an area where there is a floating porta potty at the mouth of a Cove directly across from a fairly large island. It was in this area and about a half a mile further Eastward where I encountered stripers boiling on the surface. I had been pulling a Rapala along but switched to a topwater lure and would paddle as fast as I could to try and get to where the fish were splashing around on the surface but each time I failed to get there in time. The boiling would last for only a couple of minutes and then would stop as quickly as it had started. I have a fairly fast kayak but not that fast. This happened about five or six times while I was out on the water. Most of the time somebody in a motorboat would beat me to the area but most of the time they were too late to take advantage also. I saw one nice striper that looked to be about 8 lb caught by one of these boats. I will probably head out again next week and hopefully I will post a report that will include a picture of some fish instead of just a picture of my boat. I hope this is helpful to somebody

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NowhereMan:
Thanks for the post. It sounds like a challenge to be in the right place at the right time...

newyakr:
I saw that happen numerous times in the past; in fact, I was fortunate to be in the midst of a sudden boil and still came up empty (I blame everything but my fishing skills). I haven't been there in awhile, so thank you for the reminder to get back to this very beautiful spot.

yatzmail@yahoo.com:
Some day we’ll be able to have kayaks hydro foiling to make us faster :)

MotherLoad:
I fish Hogan with my dad on his PB a half dozen times per year. When they are actively boiling, just troll the area with rolled shad. Buy the smallest shad you an find and tie up sliding hook rigs or get clear anchovy caps so you can get a bend in the bait making it roll in the water. Troll 1-1.5 mph, and you should get action. I like that Bay near the orange buoy and the island. Perhaps the same island your talking about.
Good luck when you go back and post a report please!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version