Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: thinking of getting a hobie...  (Read 4453 times)

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Being that ill primarily be ocean fishing, I've seen a lot of recommendations for revos. I wish they had a rail system, I'd hate to have to drill a brand new yak to add one. Really picking my brain on this one.

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I got my outback from cck jack london sq (2016 demo)  if you carry a lot of gear the outback has more room. I really like my outback as I am not into speed but a little comfort(stability)
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I'm kinda envious of crazys ability to stand on his yak and stretch on a calm day. My next yak is gonna be an outback or AI so I can sail with Chet to Catalina. Decision decision...
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I'm kinda envious of crazys ability to stand on his yak and stretch on a calm day. My next yak is gonna be an outback or AI so I can sail with Chet to Catalina. Decision decision...

I have a friend that just sold his Revo to get AI. The guy said he won't go back to anything less.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I've got a Revo-16 and almost exclusively fish the salt.  While I haven't tested or used a Revo-13 or Outback and would really like to, I can say that I really like my Revo-16...a lot.  In a perfect world, I would have my Revo-16 + an Outback + an AI.  [The Revo-16 can be retrofitted to be an AI, and this may be in my future.]

What I can talk about are the things I know about the 16:

• It is hands-down the fastest kayak on the water
  • With the turbo fins, it has amazing power.  To whit, I towed 2 boats back 1.5 miles (leap frogging) and could have easily gone another mile.  I easily towed another kayak on another trip.  It is a tractor.
  • The power makes it punch through waves and chop easily.
  • Its length helps it track really well at sea, but makes it a bit slow to come around in general and a bit frustrating if it's windy and I for some reason need to make a quick turn.  This is obviously a tradeoff -- in the end, tracking is much more important.
  • Because it's a tractor, it has very long range.  I can and have gone miles offshore.  Part of that range is due to the speed, power, and endurance of our legs, but it is also due to the superior tracking, which ensures that the power gets put into successfully making way to a mark as efficiently as possible.
  • The front hatch/hold is big, but really hard to access while on the water.  In fact, I've never attempted it because one must clearly have to climb over the Mirage Drive and then up onto the front of the cockpit in order to grasp the bungies and open the hatch.  I should probably try to do this on the water, but I do get worried about opening that big sucker right up there where the chop/waves hit.
  • The rear hatch cannot be reached from the cockpit either, but can be easier to access depending on what's in the tank well.
  • I'm a fly fisherman and I naturally lean towards fishing with the most compact and lightest kit possible, so I don't see the limited cargo space as a problem, but actually value the fact that it forces me to keep the boat light and the decks clear.  Simplify, simplify, simplify.
  • Windage and freeboard.  On my Revo-16, I notice a significant windage effect during those times when I have my fishing net upright in a rod holder.  It bugs me so much that I collapse/take it down when I transit to/from my fishing grounds.  I also paddle in a traditional Sit Inside sea kayak and notice a huge increase in my windage when I pedal my Hobie.   Because of this, I suspect the Outback will be even more susceptible to the wind and out on the ocean, where the wind will pick up from 3mph to 15+mph within minutes and without warning, this is very worrisome to me.
  • If stability is a worry, you can buy the Ama kit ($129).  I have this and oddly find it most useful on the Bay, where the chop is high frequency wind fetch.  The Bay chop comes in continuously one-after-another, bang, bang, bang every 2 or 3 seconds, which either is distracting or will roll you over if you stop paying attention.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:25:31 AM by Scurvy »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I've got a Revo-16 and almost exclusively fish the salt.  ...

Exactly!

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Being that ill primarily be ocean fishing, I've seen a lot of recommendations for revos. I wish they had a rail system, I'd hate to have to drill a brand new yak to add one. Really picking my brain on this one.

IMHO, being able to drill (and otherwise modify) the yak is a great advantage of plastic boats. I've drilled more holes than I can count in my kayaks, and not a one of them leaks.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
So I think I'm fairly set on the 2017 camo outback, I'll be demo'ing the revo as well so that should give me a better idea... I love the idea of the revo's speed and ability to handle chop, but I'm fairly gear-centric and think the extra deck space would benefit my style of fishing. I do see many switching out their outbacks for revo's though.

Has anyone dealt with windtoys in Santa Rosa? Spoke to John over the phone and he seems like he's super knowledgeable on the hobies, mentioned he and his staff have outfitted a bunch of ncka'ers.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
go with CCK since they support our events. They also have great customer service from what I hear :)

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Has anyone dealt with windtoys in Santa Rosa? Spoke to John over the phone and he seems like he's super knowledgeable on the hobies, mentioned he and his staff have outfitted a bunch of ncka'ers.

I make quite a few accessory purchases there and spoke to John quite alot before I purchased my Hobie.  Nice guy, good business and wish I could have bought a new Hobie there. 

Also.. I think the Outback is probably the most versatile out of all the models.  Just in my personal opinion.  And I'd recommend the red or mango colors.  I only care how the boat floats, not how it looks.  And if I'm stranded on the ocean, the most important thing I want is a color with the brightest contrast.  Good luck with the purchase!

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Personally i would go Hobie Quest 13

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If you're a guy that likes to dangle your feet over the sides while he fishes like me, the outback is too wide.
My only bitch(es) about the revo is the lack of deck space and surf zone maneuverability. Lost Anchovie's Big Sur vid proves that to be baloney though. :smt007 
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

agoodhi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Personally i would go Hobie Quest 13

first dibs on your revo!

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
maybe by the time the 2018 models are released, Hobie will unveil an outbacklution, or revoback haha.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You could sum up the last X number of pages by saying you really cannot go wrong with an Outback or a Revo.

The only way to figure out which one is right for YOU will be to try them both.

I got my Outback from CCK in Jack London Square after trying both. The shop is right on the water, and they have Hobies rigged up and ready to demo. They even let me try each kayak with the upgraded (mandatory...) turbo fins and sailing rudder so I could feel the difference. Zero regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:38:45 AM by AlexB »

anything