Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: a story, better late than never  (Read 1232 times)

Jonasoi510

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
thought id tell you guys about the the most fun I've ever had on my kayak so far, not to mention i just started  this kayak fishing at the beginning of summer went to point Richmond  right off the pier theres a little beach area by the entrance, easy to launch, and a lot of friendly people, i had headed over to the long rock trail that comes out of brook island to try and troll some swim bait, all i picked up was some seaweed and lots of it, had enough to start the sushi but no fish to wrap on haha, once i got to thew rock trail i realized a huge mistake, i forgot to put my pfd on, so i soon as i felt  that i didn't have it i picked my lines back up and started to paddle back, got out  to the parking lot which i was about 80 yards from truck and it was quick and easy launch back into the water. after that i headed under the Richmond pier since there was but one fisherman and i said hi he said hi and some other by passers had a conversation with me about kayaking.   stayed floating around the pier talking to a couple that where interested on what i was doing, and how i was getting all the weighs and floaters that where stuck under the pier lol. after a short talk i headed   west side of the pier about a half a mile away, just far enough from the rest of the fisherman that started to arrive around 430pm. i sure didn't want to be a target if you know what i mean, I've been on that pier and I've seen targets my self. i mean boaters not targets lol but i was a good distance to where they could see my catch and cheer on  but not too close that i was in  their way of their cast or me crossing lines even if i caught something to drag me around. once i got to where i wanted to be i dropped my anchor at 12ft, i threw my sabiki trying to get some bait fish but nothing even though they where all around me jumping and braking the surface, i casted at the ball of bait about 15 feet from me and nothing no luck to fish with live bait. i real ended it reeling that in i casted  my big pole out with a frozen anchovy,  not 5 minutes later and BAM! 3 foot sandshark, thought it was a striper the way it was fighting, but nope turned out to be the beasty shark. i was excited because i was ready to call it a day cuss i was getting frustrated with he bait fish not hooking up and forgetting my pfd kinda made me lose a bit of  interest when going back out in the water. but thank god my luck was starting to change little by little. the second cast and another 5 minutes and BAM! another fish on!! this time a baby stingray about 2 feet wingspan. that one gave me the worst time though lol here is why! it was fun fighting that energetic baby ray but god knows how much battle and hard time it gave me. when i casted the big pole out with bait, i also had my sabiki out and as soon as my sabiki landed i hooked the dam ray haha. now i didn't know what to do so i reeling the ray first (bad idea) it ran across my sabiki which then all the little hooks hooked to my anchor then so now i had a ray on m y anchor on my sabiki pole and my big pole. i don't think it was going anywhere, not even if it wanted to, felt bad and i didn't feel like reaching down so i pull part of my anchor line up and  take the big hook of my swivel snap, and as soon as it felt no pressure on the mouth it took off snapping all the little hooks off  and snapping away from my anchor. it was fun to see, a great experience that by the end of it i learned a lot of Do's and dint's"  also learned how to hook up and play with the bigger fish that came next, second time ever catching a shovel nose guitarfish. its was really big and when i was reeling it in it was the weirdest bite because of its snout  shape and how it kept hitting the line with it. it was a weird fight to have not knowing what i was bringing up till it came up. i would say it was a solid  4 footer for sure,  got it on bored took the hook off raised it showed the peer fisherman man and then threw it back. now for the best part of the trip  catching an actual ray that gave me a good tug around in circles for a good 5 minutes, (i cant wait to hook a my first sturgeon. ) so i,m still anchored and this was my last cast because i was getting cold and tired  but I'm glad i stayed for this last one. so i cast my bait out to my right away from the anchor. i let it sit put it on the rod holder that's on my right side and wait.  not even 10 minutes later and  i hook the beast. caught me off guard as well because i was trying to lure with my swim bait and as i was putting it on and looking down  while i was put it  at the end of my line i feel my yak rocking from side to side hard. now i was looking down even when this was happening thank i look up thinking it was really bad waves coming and when i look up i see my tip of the pole just bend down completely  and my drag a bit tighter than what i usually have em. i dint set the live bait drag so i was big tugged with anchor and everything! i  grab the pole as quickly as possible hold it in one hand and start lifting my anchor again with one hand holding the rope with my teeth then grabbing another piece of the rope and  repeating the process till i brought the anchor all the way up. this was another mistake, (my quick release anchor trolley system wasn't going to work because  i dint have a floater on my anchor line. i got a floater now.) once i didn't have the anchor out i was getting tugged around for the first time ever! adrenaline, excitement, and fear all at once! best thing ever!  after seeing my yak going from left to right in a sweeping motion because of the ray i was to dam excited to reel it in haha! but 5 minutes later and a tired arm i got it up flipped the  ray so its back was against the side of my kayak then i  took my pliers released it and call it one of my best fishing kayaking trips!
May not always catch a big fish off the kayak. But will always catch an adventure.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Congrats! Whew! That is one long paragraph.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Whew! That is one long paragraph.

That might be the longest paragraph ever on NCKA...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Awesome read!  I'm exhausted just from the reading, what a great day!
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Great day OTW!

You managed to dodge some serious issues and caught great fish, too!

Thanks for sharing the excitement and lessons learned.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Great day OTW!

After reading that I'm too tired to write much, your excitement is infectious.

Couple things, might want to check the regs on the number of rods and hooks you can use in the area you were in, there's some restrictions inside the bay. Take a look at section 28.65 in the Ocean regs.

Woo Hoo great read.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:39:27 PM by Dale L »

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

Jonasoi510

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Great day OTW!

After reading that I'm too tired to write much, your excitement is infectious.

Couple things, might want to check the regs on the number of rods and hooks you can use in the area you were in, there's some restrictions inside the bay. Take a look at section 28.65 in the Ocean regs.

Woo Hoo great read.

thanks guys for the support and sorry is just i wish i  would of had a fishing buddy to share the excitement ha ha, sorry for the long read but i was so stoked and full of excitement that i  had to share with all of you thanks for the heads up on the Reg's dale! ill look into that,  only had one pole out and thew opther one was baiting, but ill definitely look into it!

glad you guys like the excitement, ill keep you guys posted on future excitement  that's worth telling, but ill make it short and sweet next time ha ha
May not always catch a big fish off the kayak. But will always catch an adventure.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for sharing the story Jon.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Wow! I got tired of reading this. Great story, thanks for sharing.
Next time, please split them up with paragraphs.  :smt044

Post or join a hookup so you can meet some NCKA fishing buddies.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red