Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hello from Davis  (Read 608 times)

madcityscott

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
After being stuck on shore most of my life, I finally bought a fishing kayak! It's just a 12 foot Pelican Covert, but it's a start. My son and I took it out on Bullard's Bar last weekend and managed to catch six smallmouths.

Newbie question: Do kayaks have to pay to launch at Berryessa? What's the best spot near the dam?

Thanks!

-Scott

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Welcome to the madness Scott :smt006.

-Jason

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Hi, Scott. Welcome.

I live in Davis also. I'm a fairly frequent kayaker at Berryessa. Unless you're willing to hike, you will need to pay at Berryessa. The best spot near the dam to launch is Markley Cove. I believe it was $10 weekdays; $20 weekends. On the other side of the lake, there are more options, but they're also pay to play. Common kayak launching points include Capell Cove, Oak Shores and Putah Canyon/Pope Creek campground. Prices between $10 and $15.

It really depends on how far you want to go from Davis (Putah Canyon is pretty good fishing, but it's 1:10 from the west edge of Davis). Near the dam is ok, seasonally it can be very good, but it's half the trip.

Either way, Berryessa Brewing and the taco truck in Davis are key pit stops on the return trip.

Let me know if you have questions or ever want to fish - I'm a frequent kayak on Berryessa.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:51:30 PM by Corey »

Kayak Dave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Welcome and enjoy! Bullards and Berryessa are 2 of my favorites.

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
Welcome to NCKA Scott.  I'm headed to Bullards today for some Kokanee.   :smt006
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
He Scott, welcome to NCKA!
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Califreshangler

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Hi Scott, I am a kayak angler living in Davis, too. It looks like we've got enough dudes from D-town to have a cool Berryessa fishing trip!
You and Corey can hit me up if you'd like to in a PM.

-Avi

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to the madness Scott  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Either way, Berryessa Brewing and the taco truck in Davis are key pit stops on the return trip.

My younger kid starts college in Davis in September. Assuming they actually have on-campus classes, I値l probably be there a couple times. If so, I値l definitely need more info on the taco truck...

And, welcome MCS!

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018

My younger kid starts college in Davis in September. Assuming they actually have on-campus classes, I値l probably be there a couple times. If so, I値l definitely need more info on the taco truck...

And, welcome MCS!

Welcome to NCKA.  Lots of great information.

and nowhere, congrats!

I have one at UC D and she loves it there.  She will be on campus since she is an RA but not all classes will be live.  depends on class size and other factors that are being worked out. 
Last March the campus was very proactive and kept parents and students informed  on a daily basis until they shut it down.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

madcityscott

• Sardine
  • View Profile
I値l definitely need more info on the taco truck...

I think he means the taco truck in Winters, El Verduzco. Good stuff, hombre.

Waywardmanini

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Welcome to NCKA Scott.  Lots of great fishing at Berryessa. Tight lines and be safe.  :smt006

iochrominae

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hi Scott, Welcome to the party.  Another davisite here. If you can make it down the perilous hill at the pope canyon bridge you can launch for free and get ~3 miles of paddling in a 5 mph tributary arm. It痴 deceptively far as others have pointed out, you値l hit the dam in 30 mins and have at least another 30 before you park. Lotta water in the delta if you can stand the wind and it takes a lot of learning to find the good launches. Closest free launch to Davis is probably port of sac which there is an excellent thread on here that breaks it all down. Nice for a quick out and back but if I have the time I壇 go to Bullards berryessa or clear lake or even pardee. If you want a quick up the mountain to beat the heat sugar pine and jenkinson stay cool in the summer and are about an hour (traffic willing). Enjoy!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I have one at UC D and she loves it there. 

That's good to know. My kid sort of had Davis way in the background. But he ended up getting wait listed at his top choices (he's in CS, and it's pretty competitive right now), so Davis bubbled to the top of the list. He's pretty excited about it now, so it should all be good.

And, glad to hear that UC-D did a good job with the Covid-19 info. I'm on the faculty at SJSU, and I think our administration did a pretty lousy job wrt communication. Even I wasn't sure what was going on some of the time...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...