Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

What's the best tasting rockfish?

Black
10 (8.5%)
Blue
6 (5.1%)
Brown
0 (0%)
China
15 (12.7%)
Copper
4 (3.4%)
Gopher
3 (2.5%)
Grass
5 (4.2%)
Kelp
3 (2.5%)
Olive
6 (5.1%)
Vermilion
42 (35.6%)
Another
4 (3.4%)
They all taste the same to me
20 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Topic: Best Tasting Rockfish?  (Read 18605 times)

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006

Anyone ever try sashimi perch?  (no? there is a reason) When I lived in Japan I once tried a little sashimi CARP!  (don't ask....)

an old Phillipino friend, actually as he put it a Mexipino, ate barred perch raw all the time and never seemed any worse for it. 

and I agree, greenlings are great.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

ocean_314

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Raw abalone is really good.

peteb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Northern Boy you are probably right about the worms.  OK, I meant from a pure taste perspective.

Anytime we say a fish is best for deep frying or smoking or sweet-and-sour, it probably means it's a shitty eating fish.  You are admitting the flavor needs to be cranked up by adding fat or strong flavor.  If you would happily broil the thing and just have it with a little lemon, minimal flavor added, it means its probably pretty tasty.  That is where greenlings, cab and lings rule.  I think sturgeon is a fish that is tasty on its own or smoked so that's an exception.  IMHO!

Would you smoke a halibut?  aha...   

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Northern Boy you are probably right about the worms.  OK, I meant from a pure taste perspective.

Anytime we say a fish is best for deep frying or smoking or sweet-and-sour, it probably means it's a shitty eating fish.  You are admitting the flavor needs to be cranked up by adding fat or strong flavor.  If you would happily broil the thing and just have it with a little lemon, minimal flavor added, it means its probably pretty tasty.  That is where greenlings, cab and lings rule.  I think sturgeon is a fish that is tasty on its own or smoked so that's an exception.  IMHO!

Would you smoke a halibut?  aha...   

I see, you're saying greenlings taste great just broiled  w/lemon?

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Anytime we say a fish is best for deep frying or smoking or sweet-and-sour, it probably means it's a shitty eating fish.  You are admitting the flavor needs to be cranked up by adding fat or strong flavor.

Pete I'm working up a resentment here with your comments about deep frying. Despite BLOTY aspirations, I am hooked on the fish and chips concept. A bland fish tastes better deep fried, and a tasty fish even tastier deep fried.

Please refrain from dissing my italian bread crumb/deep fried rockfish (or halibut, or salmon, or ling cod etc)

2d favorite for me?  Wrapping it up in bacon then dredging in BBQ sauce berore grilling.  Wish I had cooked my sturgeon that way.  haha

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

peteb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Sorry Allen.  I know these things get emotional!  I love deep-fried fish.  Halibut and salmon are great as fish and chips.  That is not my point.  The point is, if that is the ONLY way you can eat a fish, if you would not just lightly pan fry it, but you really need to dunk it in BBQ sauce or deep fry, then it probably ain't as tasty as one that you would!  No harm meant...

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Last week I made greenling piccata w/capers. Fan-friggin-tastic!
BTW: I voted for grass RF. It's all about what they eat and where they live.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

PJ

• Salmon
  • "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Brody - Jaws
  • View Profile PRJAdvertising.com

Anyone ever try sashimi perch?  (no? there is a reason) When I lived in Japan I once tried a little sashimi CARP!  (don't ask....)

an old Phillipino friend, actually as he put it a Mexipino, ate barred perch raw all the time and never seemed any worse for it. 

THAT....is freakin' gnarly!!!  Raw Perch???  I love Sushi as much as the next Volvo-Driving-Latte-Sipping-Santa-Monica-Hangin'-Liberal but I gots to draw the line somewheres!!!

PJ
8'6" Thresher Shark on 20 Lb. Mono, Somewhere in the Vicinity of Pt. Zero, Not Far from the Flemish Cap

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I too take exception to the deep frying diss, Pete.  I don't eat "shitty tasting fish".  :smt002  I love deep frying because of the crispy coating, and the milder the fish the better.  Some may see that as a waste, but I deep fry the very freshest as well as freezer fish.  Yum!   :smt007

If you're hanging on the beach for the day or camping out you can cook fish or ab or even spam however you want to and it'll taste great - it's the sun, the exercise, the beer, the Good Times that influence the taste out there. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a lightly spiced fresh ling filet with some rice, veggies and wine, I just like deep frying and swilling beer better!   :smt003
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007

Don't get me wrong, I love a lightly spiced fresh ling filet with some rice, veggies and wine, I just like deep frying and swilling beer better!   :smt003

I have to side with Peteb, even if he kicked me out of the Brotherhood of Pokepolers.

I think his point is; would you love a lightly spiced perch filet with some rice, veggies and wine?

I wouldn't call rockfish or perch "shitty", but I think his point is they can't "stand up on their own", they need to be deep fried or cooked in some way that "helps". We've tried rockfish in a variety of dishes and it hasn't really been good unless it's been deep fried or grilled and put in taco's. It's not bad, it's just a little bland. Vermilion might be an exception. Halibut or tuna taco's would be a waste no?

Metalhead

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I once had a GF/Significant Other whose ex was pretty wealthy. She made Lobster Tacos and I couldn't see that I was going to be able to support her in the wasteful manner to which she had previously been accustomed.
The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday!

peteb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
That is it, Northern Man. 

Deep frying makes a great fish better, I think we all agree.  So let's agree to agree.  Actually, a great recipe for some of the less-firm rockfish species is baking the fillets in a casserole dish with tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary, olive oil and white wine.  Absolutely killer.  Maybe I should share my late father's recipe for killer rockfish chowder too.  I love rockies; there are just some I love best. 

BTW, the Pokepole Brotherhood welcomes you back at any time, except we just learned we bet the Brotherhood's retirement fund on BBB syndicated sub-prime swaptions, and well, we're living on fish for a while.  Seriously now.   And I also never picked up my free poke-pole....

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
If I get a rockfish fillet that is thick enough, I like to throw it on top of veggies in the steamer for the last 5 minutes or so.  Then eat it all on top of rice with just a few splashes of soy sauce. 

I think that's the purest way I eat rockfish.

allen

ps  I really want to eat some rockfish now.

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Friend gifted me some perch freshly caught off of a nearby beach.  I grilled it whole after evisceration.  Sad to say the best part was the eyeballs, it was all downhill after that!  Very soft texture.  Would have to be fried or something in order to make it table fare.

Like, steaming would be out of the question, too mushy, right?

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Perch ceviche is meant to be good...

I don't shoot em usually....but sometimes the big rubberlips are hard to resist.  :smt002 :smt005

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*